Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Samith...  
Full Name Sam Johnston
Nickname Samith 
State/Province, Country MN   United States
GD Gathering City Northfield, MN, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID ubersam992 
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1381  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 10/21/2001 8:37:54 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
render state management What I'm concerned about is trying to render the scene with as few state changes as possible. For example, in an RTS with 1000 units of 5 different types, if we render all units of each type in a row we can render all 1000 units with just 5 state ch... 
Posted January 19, 2010 11:43:10 AM
separating physics and rendering into different threads I've been thinking about splitting up my physics and rendering subsystems into their own separate threads. The idea is that I'll be able to updat my physics objects for the next frame while the current frame is still rendering, instead of letting my... 
Posted January 3, 2010 10:44:50 PM
development environment I'm a bit at a loss here as to how I should go about setting up a usable development environment for websites/web applications. Right now I'm doing all my PHP development simply by SSH'ing into my host server and then visiting the script I'm writing... 
Posted June 2, 2009 8:51:04 PM
Buying a TV My 21 inch CRT from a trillion years ago is just no longer good enough to satisfy my gaming needs. It's heavy, takes up a ton of space relative to the screen size, and is standard definition. So I'm looking into getting an LCD panel TV. I've got... 
Posted August 26, 2008 4:08:11 PM
Acrobat Professional: Buggy? I'm not certain there has ever been a time in my life when Acrobat has functioned properly, but now it's just not functioning at all. I can't view PDF files in a web-browser anymore (Firefox hangs if I try). If I try to download the PDF view it out... 
Posted August 26, 2007 11:49:44 AM
Tracking memory leaks in C++ Memory leaks as we all know are an annoying problem. But again I'm sort of hung up trying to think of a way to avoid them. I know how smart/intrusive pointers work and how to use them, but this feels like an incomplete solution. If I forget to use... 
Posted August 5, 2007 11:50:47 AM
This doesn't look good I think something is wrong with my computer: According to the Windows Task Manager the CPU is always about 30% or 40% in use because of the programs spoolsv.exe, csrss.exe and nvsvc32.exe. I'm not even hooked up to a printer, so I don't know what s... 
Posted June 13, 2007 9:24:03 PM
Cell phone help This is probably a fairly obscure problem. I'd ask it on the T-Mobile website, but I don't know the account information since my parents own the account. So I come to you guys with my question: I have a Samsung SGN-X475 phone. Tonight I g... 
Posted April 18, 2007 10:05:44 PM
Gamedev.net's worth I just realized today that everything I know about game development and programming I have learned either directly or indirectly from Gamedev.net, with the sole exception of the single computer science class I have taken here at the university (thoug... 
Posted December 13, 2006 1:07:44 PM
College + videogames - tv = ? So, I'm in college, and my dorm room isn't exactly spacious (obviously, no one has a spacious dorm room) yet I'd like to be able to play videogames. Since I don't have a lot of room for a TV, I was wondering if it'd be possible to use my laptop... 
Posted October 30, 2006 11:22:37 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Lines of code in a lifetime Quote:Original post by Aardvajk If x=lines of code and y=lines of productive code, the x-y probably equals about 3. Heh, you've only written 3 unproductive lines of code in your whole life? 
Posted July 18, 2010 12:29:36 PM
The best openGL Games EVAAAR!? How about FreeCiv and Tux Racer. Also, here's a list of Linux games, most of which are likely opensource and written with OpenGL. 
Posted June 9, 2010 9:42:56 PM
Does high school really help? Weighted grades are pointless and colleges don't care about how your school weights grades anyway. Colleges have their own means of assessing a students GPA and what that means. So don't worry about that. As for your classes: if you aced your AP... 
Posted January 31, 2010 8:25:06 PM
(not)Attending University Lectures When I was in my first semester of school the thought of missing a lecture was abhorrent to me. But, then I slept through one of my economics lectures and realized it made no difference at all to my education, so since then I've been skipping l... 
Posted January 27, 2010 5:05:43 PM
render state management Batching! That's the word I was looking for. That should help me find some more resources about this type of thing. Quote:Original post by zyrolasting What you have suggested seems fine for an RTS, but would not suffice for a world where the ca... 
Posted January 19, 2010 1:57:53 PM
XNA- 2D jumping Two things: 1) you are only doing this jump logic when KeyJustPressed(Key.Space) is true, which should only be for one frame, since after that Key.Space won't have been just pressed anymore. And 2) you are incrementing position.Y by j... 
Posted January 17, 2010 10:06:11 PM
Calculating the Field Of View Field of view is actually a measure of the vertical field of view. So the y axis would be tan(fov/2) and the x axis would be tan(fov/2) * aspect. 
Posted January 12, 2010 5:10:39 PM
Perspective Z/W Depth Can you post your shader code as well as the projection matrix you're using? When done correctly the projection matrix will take a point and project it onto a plane in the z axis, and the w coordinate will have the original z value. Every proj... 
Posted January 12, 2010 10:47:31 AM
lighting related questions In the shader where you calculate the diffuse lighting, instead of doing Out.diffuse = dot(lightDir, In.normal) * In.diffuse; do this: float sharpness = 0.2; float4 df = dot(lightDir, In.normal); Out.diffuse = sign(df) * pow(df, sharpness) * I... 
Posted January 12, 2010 10:22:28 AM
Having a heck of a time with a memory leak and need help... Go to Project->Properties, then in the side panel click Configuration Properties, then C/C++, and then General. There should be an option to set the warning level. I usually choose the highest level (/W4) and set it to treat warnings as errors,... 
Posted January 11, 2010 8:18:27 PM
View All Replies Made By This User