Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Kylotan...  Moderator - Scripting Languages and Game Mods
Full Name Ben Sizer
Nickname Kylotan 
State/Province, Country Nottinghamshire   United Kingdom
GD Gathering City Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.ebonyfortress.com/blog 
ICQ ID 8177495 
AIM ID kylotan2 
Yahoo IM ID worldpretending 
Current Occupation
Job Title Professional Game Developer 
Job Description I program for an MMO. Livin the dream! (Sort of.) 
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1913  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 3/8/2000 7:54:26 AM
GDNet+ Journal http://members.gamedev.net/kylotan/journal/
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Organizing Code Files in C and C++ by Ben "Kylotan" Sizer
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
List of free libraries Hello, fellow code-reuse fans! For some time, I've been meaning to collect a list of all the free libraries that are available for game developers. By free, I mean everything from public domain code, through open source, and including the stuff th... 
Posted December 30, 2004 10:39:46 PM
Components for entities - why? Simple question for you all, probably with some not-so-simple answers. Of late there's been a massive increase in the number of people wanting to move towards component-based systems for their game characters, sometimes confusingly called "entity... 
Posted September 25, 2010 3:01:25 PM
Hoping for second opinion on RTS/RPG networking model Okay, I'm thinking about the following situation: - Client/Server topology - 1 to 10 clients per server - All data sent over TCP/IP in binary format - Up to roughly 200 entities of interest to any given client at any given time, typical figur... 
Posted October 1, 2010 11:08:46 AM
Best way to handle joysticks on Windows (XP onwards) The other day I wrote some code using mmsystem.h and joyGetPosEx to read from my Xbox 360 controller, and it worked fine. The only exceptions were that the d-pad didn't register and the triggers were combined into one axis, but that was fin... 
Posted January 18, 2010 5:39:31 AM
Anybody had crashes with boost::unordered_map? Basically, I have some code where I have 15,000 elements in a std::map. I thought a direct switch to boost::unordered_map would yield lookup and space savings, but unfortunately what happens is that it crashes inside boost::unordered_map::find with a... 
Posted November 25, 2009 8:40:48 AM
New laptop and external interface for recording Hey guys, I'm looking into getting a laptop to do some basic recording of gigs, rehearsals, rough vocals, etc. I'll be using Sonar, so I asked on their forums for advice, and they basically just suggested getting an eSata external drive for spee... 
Posted September 9, 2009 1:02:56 PM
Organising samples, loops, and other assets For some types of music I use various samples and loops, often downloaded for free or obtained from magazine cover disks. I have quite a few gigabytes of them, many of which I'll probably never use, but keep around in case they become useful in the f... 
Posted May 19, 2009 3:30:13 PM
Getting started with FlashDevelop I'm trying to get started on Flash/AS3 development via FlashDevelop/Flex SDK, since Adobe CS4 is far out of my price range for home experimentation and self-tuition. Unfortunately pretty much everything on the web for Flash development, inc... 
Posted May 9, 2009 3:26:30 PM
Converting UTF-8 to ASCII approximation I have a requirement to take some UTF-8 data containing non ASCII characters (almost certainly just stuff in ISO-8859-1 such as é, Ø, ç) and to convert it to an ASCII approximation (eg. e, u, c in those cases). I appreciate this is an inexact science... 
Posted October 30, 2008 9:20:56 AM
Managing warnings in MS VC++ With gcc, I can turn off and on specific types of warning quite easily at the command line, and they're generally well documented all in one place. With Visual C++, there is apparently even more fine-grained control over warnings, but th... 
Posted October 17, 2008 7:16:52 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
[Python] Recommendation of 2D graphic libraries? I don't think such a thing exists, sorry. If there are any 2D tile engines for Python, they don't have a large community. 
Posted December 7, 2010 8:41:36 PM
Dealing with feature creep? I simply add the ideas to the "to do" list, which has priorities ranging from 1 to 10. This list captures core features, optional features, bugs, aesthetic improvements, everything. When I work on the program, I work on them in rough ord... 
Posted November 3, 2010 10:49:04 AM
Games Producer Query Quote:Original post by spencerd Obviously not straight from Uni, could be a junior producer possibly. I've never heard of a junior producer. That would be a bit like being a junior chairman or a junior chief executive officer. Generally speaking... 
Posted November 3, 2010 10:05:53 AM
UK Education Quote:Original post by stone_ta Quote:Original post by ukdeveloper Back on topic - I strongly recommend doing a generic CS or computing degree. I know people with Games Development degrees who are a) working in supermarkets and b) doing an... 
Posted November 3, 2010 10:02:45 AM
Matching players in an online 1vs1 game - a queuing problem Quote:Original post by myro The reason I do not like the idea of incrementing by time is explained in the following example (let's assume we start a rating difference limit of 100 and increase it by 50 every 10 sec, I will call the rating difference... 
Posted November 1, 2010 1:50:30 PM
Matching players in an online 1vs1 game - a queuing problem The problem is more complex than perhaps you realise. If you give people the ideal match then there's a risk of giving them the same few opponents over and over again, when you'd probably find better gameplay in widening the opponent pool even if the... 
Posted October 29, 2010 11:47:41 AM
TinyXml LoadFile Problem When you run from the IDE, you are rarely running from the directory you expect. Check your project settings. 
Posted October 26, 2010 10:16:16 AM
[Performance] SDL vs. Allegro If you want decent performance on modern (ie. 21st century) hardware then the best thing to do is ditch SDL and try something like SFML instead, which uses OpenGL for the rendering. (EDIT: Although some say that Intel hardware is still awful... 
Posted October 26, 2010 9:36:03 AM
Facebook product pages Facebook pages are linked to a personal account; that's just how they work. To edit your Facebook Page rather than your personal account, you must be viewing that page when you click the edit links. Once on that page, if you're an admin (... 
Posted October 25, 2010 8:25:38 AM
Windows XP: Is it dead yet? Quote:Original post by taz0010 Nobody's mentioned that XP machines inevitably become chock block full of malware and require a periodic hard drive nuke to get things running fast again. That's because it's not true, unless you installed XP fresh to... 
Posted October 25, 2010 8:08:22 AM
View All Replies Made By This User