Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know EnigmaticCoder...  
Full Name  
Nickname EnigmaticCoder 
State/Province, Country CA   United States
GD Gathering City Temecula, CA, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://sites.google.com/site/enigmaticCoder 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1130  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 2/17/2007 7:21:30 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
SDL + (2 by 2) TileMap = SLOW? I'm making a game where the player can dig tunnels through dirt. I've got the multi-layered level drawn without slowdown, but now that I've added a 2x2 tile tunnel map on top of the rest of the level, the game runs very slowly. A 16 X 16 tile tu... 
Posted February 28, 2010 7:51:03 PM
OpenGL: Drawing a Texture onto Another Texture I just switched from rendering with SDL to rendering with OpenGL and using SDL for creating the window. With SDL I could call SDL_BlitSurface(source, clip region, destination, position) and blit one surface onto another. Is this possible wi... 
Posted March 7, 2010 8:28:53 PM
[SOLVED] Issues With Visual Studio and Project Items When I started my current project, I used Windows and Visual Studio, but then I started using Ubuntu almost exclusively. I continued making the game on Linux, but since the game is cross platform and has been changed quite a bit, I wanted to tes... 
Posted March 3, 2010 1:10:06 PM
[SOLVED] Subversion Replacement I've been using subversion for a few years, and it's been helpful. However, I can't seem to get my repository working correctly on both Windows and Ubuntu simultaneously. Since I spend a lot of time on Ubuntu these days and use Windows for... 
Posted January 20, 2010 4:30:48 PM
Hidden Cosmos: Play My Game & Critique My Code I finished the Dreamcast game I've been working on for the past month called, Hidden Cosmos. It's similar to Galaga but with a story and four player multiplayer. If you have a Dreamcast and Linux, you can burn the game with cdrtools (just don't... 
Posted December 18, 2009 4:10:06 PM
Testing Signature Test 
Posted December 17, 2009 1:32:22 AM
Hidden Cosmos: Improve My Script I'm almost finished with my Dreamcast game, Hidden Cosmos. I've written the script, which will be one of the finishing touches on the game. Will someone please help me spruce it up? The script is below: Outline - Discovery of alien spac... 
Posted December 14, 2009 11:05:40 PM
PowerVR: Garbage Being Shown Platform: Dreamcast I've been using pvr to load my images. This aspect of the game has been working fine up until the time I started using big images (1024 X 512). Firstly, I'd like to know if my drawImage function is correct. In the function, th... 
Posted December 12, 2009 5:14:44 PM
GCC Syntax Errors Link Order Problem? Description Resource Path Location Type expected class-name before '{' token Enemy.h line 12 C/C++ Problem expected class-name before '{' token Laser.h line 13 C/C++ Problem expected class-name before '{' token Player.h line 14 C/C++ Problem make... 
Posted December 10, 2009 11:34:44 PM
Cast std::mapstd::string, foo to std::mapstd::string, bar I have a class called foo and a class called bar which inherits from foo. I create an std::map<std::string, bar> and want to cast it to an std::map<std::string, foo>. How can I do this in C++ without using the boost library? [Edited by... 
Posted November 30, 2009 6:41:25 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Poll Results [3.3.10 - 3.22.10] szecs: I've got all those buttons built into my laptop keyboard, and it's somewhat convenient. 
Posted March 26, 2010 9:25:04 PM
Poll Results [3.3.10 - 3.22.10] I used to never use CAPS LOCK and thought it should be removed. Of course, there was a time when I didn't use other keys/combinations like ctrl+right, or home then shift+end. Nowadays, I use as many keys/combinations as possible, including caps lock.... 
Posted March 25, 2010 2:33:05 PM
Collecting Games I'm somewhat of a collector of PlayStation RPGs (psx 2 & 3), and I'd probably collect SNES RPGs if so many of them hadn't been remade for other systems. I hear the DS is pretty good for RPGs as well, but I probably wouldn't buy or get into it due to... 
Posted March 22, 2010 12:41:30 AM
SDL + (2 by 2) TileMap = SLOW? For those of you who search this post and are in need of a solution, I finally figured out a way to speed the game up. SDL_FillRect works great for me. All I needed was solid rectangles anyway. Note: I switched back to SDL from OpenGL to try this... 
Posted March 18, 2010 9:57:04 PM
OpenGL: Drawing a Texture onto Another Texture I'm working on a game that allows the player to dig through dirt. I want to store the tunnels on a surface that's bigger than the width and height of the screen. Then, every frame, I want to render that surface to the screen (only what fits... 
Posted March 9, 2010 1:50:15 PM
SDL + (2 by 2) TileMap = SLOW? Quote:Original post by evillive2 Also - be aware that immediate mode is being deprecated in future versions of OpenGL (glBegin/glEnd) so some of the OpenGL enthusiasts may point you towards vertex buffer objects (VBOs) and shaders for this type of t... 
Posted March 6, 2010 4:49:04 PM
SDL + (2 by 2) TileMap = SLOW? Quote:Original post by evillive2 Yes - generate the dirt surface once at load time and then apply that surface each frame. Will this take up a lot of memory? Maybe I should apply the entire map to the surface at the beginning of a level, since... 
Posted March 6, 2010 1:08:03 PM
SDL + (2 by 2) TileMap = SLOW? Quote:Original post by evillive2 My suggestion is instead of drawing a bunch of tiles for dirt or empty space - render the dirt to a surface once at the beginning of a level. Are you saying to render the dirt to a surface other than the screen... 
Posted March 6, 2010 1:12:03 AM
[SOLVED] Issues With Visual Studio and Project Items On a hunch, I renamed the file to RectangleF.h and the struct RectangleF, and now it works! 
Posted March 5, 2010 11:11:15 PM
[SOLVED] Issues With Visual Studio and Project Items > Looks like it's almost certainly an inclusion order issue. You can have Visual Studio emit the preprocessed code (look in the project options) The .i files generated by the preprocessor are hundreds of thousands of lines. What am I looking fo... 
Posted March 5, 2010 4:31:48 PM
View All Replies Made By This User