Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Verg...  
Full Name  
Nickname Verg 
State/Province, Country
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1233  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 5/15/2004 8:55:00 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
"Ignore specific Library"/ VS2008 I have an old project I recently wanted to bring over to VS2008... haven't compiled it in about three years. It compiled fine on my old XP laptop; but I'm finding some weird behavior with the linker. Basically, I have specific .lib files i... 
Posted April 21, 2010 8:44:00 PM
MySQL = OPTIMIZE TABLE I made a boo-boo... maybe. On a vBulletin forum where I act as an admin (not an owner), I ran an OPTIMIZE TABLE command from the control panel. Over an hour later, I'm still waiting for the response. In the meantime, the server is not respon... 
Posted April 13, 2010 10:02:11 PM
Max Blend/offscreen RenderTarget(2D) in XNA? Hello, I've gone over Drilian's fantastic article on lightning, and am having a bit of trouble getting the same sort of effect in XNA. I've gotten this with anti-aliasing and alpha blended lightning segments: (everything looks eve... 
Posted March 31, 2009 7:13:18 PM
Recommendations? How to: Flip/Mirror screen without disturbing the HUD Hi Guys I've been looking into ways of flipping the screen or mirroring the screen during play (as an effect)... I'm not 100% sure how to do it, but it's probably something to do with the projection matrix. I don't want to flip the hud (if at... 
Posted March 7, 2009 5:12:34 PM
Sweep and Prune updating sprite positions on the fly Hello, We're creating a 2D platformer w/parallax scrolling, and have run into performance issues for the XBOX 360/XNA. We've tried using Zones or Quadrants, which does improve performance (breaking a level up into pieces and doing the collisi... 
Posted March 5, 2009 3:44:05 PM
[C#] Generic Functions (a different question) It seems C# doesn't handle generics like C++ handles templates. I need a way to do this: public void DoSomething<T>(object o, T thing) { _member = thing.Value; } The error is 'T' does not contain a definition for 'Value'...... 
Posted February 19, 2009 3:00:52 PM
dpi vs. screen resolution Hi Guys, We're doing a 2D platformer game project as a group; we currently have a main player sprite that is about 0.8 inches high, or 90px at 72dpi. We would like to keep the player at the same physical size but up the resolution, say to 200dpi... 
Posted February 12, 2009 4:46:42 PM
HRGN equivalent for XNA/C# This would be used for better collision detection. Is there something like HRGN in XNA? Or, would I have to roll my own Region class, with such functions "Contains" and "Intersects"? Hopefully there's something already. Thanks and Greetz ... 
Posted January 30, 2009 1:46:57 AM
Collision detection loop == better than O(n^2)? Hi, I'm trying to implement a more efficient 2D collision detection routine... Right now, the routine isn't scalable, meaning that for every sprite I add, you have to add as many collision detection "if/thens" as you have sprites. In other w... 
Posted January 25, 2009 4:08:57 PM
deleting a file (C#) (sharing/etc) [resolved] Hi, I'm running up against a dumb problem. It's probably a threading issue... but I need to find a way to discover whether another process is using a file before deleting it. System.IO.File.Delete("Filename") works most of the time, but occas... 
Posted June 9, 2008 3:28:48 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
"Ignore specific Library"/ VS2008 Well, of course it ended up being what I thought... something compiled with the wrong flag... but not any of my code. I was using a version of the Loki library that had one or two projects set to MDd (not MTd) for some reason... don't know wh... 
Posted April 21, 2010 10:34:44 PM
MySQL = OPTIMIZE TABLE OPTIMIZE TABLE does a defragment. Yeah, like I said... no access to the server so no way to restart MySQL. The owner is on the east coast, were he's probably in bed by now... or I'd give him a call. At any rate, he'll get my emails in the... 
Posted April 13, 2010 10:55:00 PM
Max Blend/offscreen RenderTarget(2D) in XNA? Quote:Original post by MJP Sure, you could do that with a RenderTarget2D. You basically just create it when you initialize your graphics stuff, set it as the current RenderTarget using GraphicsDevice.SetRenderTarget (use index 0), and then draw wha... 
Posted April 1, 2009 8:00:41 AM
Recommendations? How to: Flip/Mirror screen without disturbing the HUD All right, I was able to get close to solving this using a RenderTarget. My only concern now is being able to get everything to render to a specific portion of the render target, so that I can spin the render target about an axis. I mean,... 
Posted March 8, 2009 12:38:10 AM
Recommendations? How to: Flip/Mirror screen without disturbing the HUD I think the problem with the previous code is that it's taking the width and height (extents) of the sprite batch, and rotating around that (the Translation matrix is sent to SpriteBatch.Draw) I'm just trying to rotate the viewing rectangle, witho... 
Posted March 7, 2009 8:25:18 PM
Recommendations? How to: Flip/Mirror screen without disturbing the HUD Okay, here's what I have for trying to get things at least rotated around the center of the screen. Problem is, it doesn't seem to be working. It seems to be trying to rotate around some outer point I can't find. Assume ZoomPercentage = 1.0f... 
Posted March 7, 2009 8:04:07 PM
Recommendations? How to: Flip/Mirror screen without disturbing the HUD Quote:Original post by Rewdew I can't even compute 1+1 right now, but wouldn't you just swap left and right for your projection matrix (assuming you use a perspective)? Also you could do all kind of nice effects by rendering to a texture first... ... 
Posted March 7, 2009 5:33:03 PM
[C#] Generic Functions (a different question) Quote:Original post by Telastyn Quote:Original post by Mike.Popoloski You can constrain your generic types to specific interfaces, so you could define an interface for types that expose Value and then call it on that. Which sucks, because... 
Posted February 19, 2009 5:31:58 PM
[C#] Generic Functions (a different question) Hi Mike, Thanks for your reply. Currently I can't refactor the types to expose an interface, as the code was written by another person in the company and generally under their watch. I suppose I could write an adapter class that handled the t... 
Posted February 19, 2009 3:13:37 PM
dpi vs. screen resolution Quote:Original post by Palidine Quote:Original post by Verg So a 250px image would have to be scaled a certain percentage (by XNA) to be seen at the same size on screen. Thanks for the explanation. Yep. Now you're cooking with fire =)... 
Posted February 12, 2009 5:09:59 PM
View All Replies Made By This User