Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Black Knight...  GDNet+
Full Name  
Nickname Black Knight 
State/Province, Country Ontario   Canada
GD Gathering City Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.shadowytree.net 
ICQ ID 11511120 
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1319  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 1/1/2002 10:51:33 AM
GDNet+ Journal http://members.gamedev.net/shadowytree/journal/
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
mysql select and insert HI, Is it possible to do a select and insert in a single query? I am trying to get data from a table and if the data doesn't exists i want to create a row and set default values. Something like: SELECT * FROM stats WHERE id=someID IF DOESNT... 
Posted November 17, 2010 7:00:01 PM
Javascript multiple file organization. I am working on a simple javascript project and trying to separate code to multiple files. I also don't want to put everything in the global namespace so I am trying something likes the following, the html file includes all the js files as t... 
Posted October 24, 2010 12:17:11 AM
JSON file and IE Hi, I've downloaded this file : http://www.json.org/json2.js Added it to my index page before my own javascript file: <script type="text/javascript" src="json.js"></script> Then i try to load a txt file like so : ... 
Posted November 8, 2010 9:35:27 PM
Loading a flex app into another flex app Hi guys this is going to be a long post so bare with me :) I have been working on a flex application and I want to load other flex applications into this app. I have nearly tried everything on the adobe docs and on the web and nothi... 
Posted October 21, 2010 8:34:36 PM
Php+javascript+canvas+map loading Old topic: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=572233 So I have made some progress on my browser game and now I want to store maps in a mysql database(still no idea how to do that either). This link can paint tiles... 
Posted September 14, 2010 12:35:42 PM
Python os.path.join getting to upper directory Hi guys, I am trying to get to a upper directory and then to subfolders of that with os.path.join. Seems to work on windows but I am wonder if it works on Unix too. So imagine there are 2 folders in the same folder called foo and bar... 
Posted September 10, 2010 3:02:56 PM
Running python app from Adobe Air and Flash Hello guys, Anyone got an idea on how to run a python application from a flash application. The flash app is a menu with multiple buttons and when one of the buttons is clicked I want to launch a python file. This is running o... 
Posted August 18, 2010 12:24:16 PM
Character animation with 2 body parts Hi guys, Right now my game uses character models that are a single .X model, the mesh is a single enclosed volume and this is somewhat limiting me. What I want to do is make the characters upper body and lower body seperate models so that they... 
Posted August 13, 2010 10:34:02 PM
Need modeler(s) for 3d rpg game. Team name: ShadowyTree Project name: Dark Age Brief description: Dark Age is a 3rd person 3d role playing game set in the world of Entaria.It has been in development for a long time(since 2002).Though most of the work is one in the past... 
Posted July 13, 2010 10:55:10 PM
How to store a grid map I am thinking on starting a web based game where I want a large map like the one in travian.Basically it is a 400x400 grid where each cell can have different properties and stuff and only the 10x10 area around the player is displayed.... 
Posted May 25, 2010 6:23:10 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Happy New Year! Happy new year everyone!  
Posted January 1, 2011 12:11:24 AM
On Graphics, Windows, and C++ If C++ isn't a requirement then I would just use python with pygame for a 2d game. It will run on many platforms (windows,linux,mac) and will give you all the basics you need for a 2d game thanks to pygame. It gives you the option to use Open... 
Posted December 31, 2010 5:49:34 PM
The Daily GameDev.net I bought Gothic 1,2,3 for 10 bucks sweet deal :D 
Posted December 28, 2010 5:36:30 PM
mysql select and insert Well including them in the select will just add those values to the users_stats it won't return them back to php.  
Posted November 18, 2010 8:14:44 PM
mysql select and insert Yea I only need to insert if it doesn't exist. Works fine. Though I also need to get the values so I guess I can just do a select first and if nothing returns I can insert. Like Anntors code. 
Posted November 18, 2010 7:57:39 PM
mysql select and insert Just to make sure I'm on the right track, insert into users_stats(userId, level , experience, adventurePoints) select phpUserIDVar, 1, 0, 0 from users u where phpUserIDVar = u.id  
Posted November 18, 2010 7:47:53 PM
mysql select and insert insert into users_stats(userId, level , experience, adventurePoints) select id, 1, 0, 0 from users u where not Exists (select * from users_stats s where s.userId = u.id) Worked perfectly. To make this work for only a sin... 
Posted November 18, 2010 7:07:06 PM
mysql select and insert I will probably change it to what anntor suggested as it is clearer. geo2004 i will try to make that query work but last time I tried anything with a where it always gave me syntax error. I don't know if it is my query or the mysql version or anyt... 
Posted November 18, 2010 6:55:46 PM
mysql select and insert INSERT IGNORE INTO users_stats( userId,LEVEL , experience, adventurePoints ) VALUES ( 5, 1, 0, 0 ) Seems to work. I will have to make a SELECT query to get the values back after calling this. So in php it will look similar to this : $que... 
Posted November 17, 2010 8:07:11 PM
mysql select and insert I am trying something like : INSERT INTO users_stats (userId,level, experience, adventurePoints) values (5,1, 0,0) WHERE (( SELECT COUNT(*) FROM users_stats where userId=1) = 0) Which doesn't work phpadmin says a syntax error : #1064 - Yo... 
Posted November 17, 2010 7:53:18 PM
View All Replies Made By This User