Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know brwarner...  
Full Name Brook Jensen
Nickname brwarner 
State/Province, Country Ontario   Canada
GD Gathering City Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.brwarner.co.cc 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1000  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 12/3/2005 12:27:57 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Multiplayer ENET Runs Extremely Slow Here is my architecture design which runs very smoothly when connecting by localhost, but up to 1.5 seconds of lag when going through the internet, I am trying to find out why. Server Loop: Process all packets in queue -Read the packet into a st... 
Posted July 4, 2010 1:55:55 AM
Method To Call A Function By A String I just thought I'd share a header file I just created which I thought was pretty cool that allows you to call a function with arguments in a single string such as: #include "Generator.h" void TestFunc( int a, int b, const string& s ) { c... 
Posted June 29, 2010 11:18:11 AM
UDP and Network Game I am trying to design my first real network game but I am having trouble designing it (the game is a 2D 2 player shooting game). I figure that I will use UDP due to the obvious speed benefits and so far I figured as well that the clients would contin... 
Posted June 27, 2010 11:34:03 AM
HLSL TEXCOORD0 Modified? When passed between the vertex and pixel shaders, is TEXCOORD0 modified somehow? Because if not, how does tex2D sample differently for each pixel if each one is given the same texture coordinate near a vertex? I also wonder because in NVIDIA... 
Posted June 26, 2010 6:59:28 PM
Virtual Game Directory Alpha Website at Sourceforge Virtual Game Directory (VGD) can run a program in a "virtual environment" where additional directories can be mounted on top of the working directory, where files/folders there override those in mounts below them/the wo... 
Posted January 31, 2010 8:22:18 PM
Template Argument Deduction Order [C++] I have a template function that looks like this template<typename T, T J> void Func() { ... } Problem with this is, it means I must always specify the type: Func<int,5> When I really want to do Func<5> If I try how... 
Posted January 30, 2010 11:22:05 AM
GPL and External Library Source Hi I have been trying to read summaries and the actual GPL v3 document itself and there is one thing I am fuzzy on and that is libraries and source. Here are my two distinct problems: Boost and Microsoft Research Detours Express My progr... 
Posted January 27, 2010 10:19:08 PM
FindFirstFile Avoidance [C++] I am making a program which utilizes Microsoft Detours to overwrite library functions and am experimenting with injecting into the FindFirstFile function. Through tests it seems to work and I have grabbed breakpoints of other processes using the func... 
Posted January 27, 2010 12:21:39 AM
Game Lighting I was wondering if anyone could give me some help with a lighting model for my game. I am trying to use pixel shaders with some success (have implemented basic diffuse and ambient lights) but want to get some more complex effects but have had trouble... 
Posted January 2, 2010 11:22:14 PM
Simple STL Unicode Trick Hey, I just thought I'd share a really useful trick I just created when you're working with unicode. If you are using unicode (std::wstring) and are having problems with libraries that only return regular strings (std::string) this simple inlin... 
Posted December 19, 2009 9:12:27 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Multiplayer ENET Runs Extremely Slow Wait nevermind, I'm an idiot.... I wrote microseconds instead of milliseconds so it was actually running at 30 000 frames per second. Fixed and now it runs fine (still needs tuning though). Thanks anyway [Edited by - brwarner on July 4, 2010 1... 
Posted July 4, 2010 10:36:59 AM
Multiplayer ENET Runs Extremely Slow Every frame (30 fps) the server sends about 13 bytes to the client while the client sends between 0 and 5 bytes to the server. By internet (sorry I wasn't specific) I meant that instead of using "localhost" I used by external IP address, so o... 
Posted July 4, 2010 10:32:08 AM
boost smart pointers on game I use them all the time in games with either 3D or 2D graphics and have not noticed any severe performance problems. Theoretically when using them for access the only operation is a regular dereference and copying a smart pointer just increments... 
Posted June 29, 2010 12:07:31 PM
A Simple C Object Loader Hey, First I'd like to say how amazing Daabli is, I've been using it a lot and it comes in handy for almost any data parsing. The only thing it's missing (unless I missed it) is a LoadFromString function as opposed to load from file in the r... 
Posted April 9, 2010 5:15:10 PM
Template Argument Deduction Order [C++] Ok thanks I got that working but yet another problem persists :( template<typename T, typename A> struct Test { }; template<typename T, typename A, typename B> struct Test { }; Templates can be damn annoying sometim... 
Posted January 31, 2010 2:26:41 PM
Template Argument Deduction Order [C++] template<typename T, unsigned n> void Func() { } template<typename T, unsigned n> void Func<T, 1>() { int a = 0; a++; } error C2995: 'void Func(void)' : function template has already been defined Trigger... 
Posted January 31, 2010 1:32:32 PM
Template Argument Deduction Order [C++] Well I made it specifically for function pointers as that's what I need it for. Another question, why does this: template<typename T, int n> void Func() { } template<typename T> void Func<T, 1>() { int a = 0; a+... 
Posted January 31, 2010 11:36:10 AM
Template Argument Deduction Order [C++] Ok I'm glad that it works for function pointers, I'll try it. Otherwise I would use typedefs but I actually need to run this on a bunch of native windows functions so it's easier this way then writing a typedef for each of the dozen I need to ru... 
Posted January 31, 2010 11:10:45 AM
Template Argument Deduction Order [C++] Ok but my primary concern in that the argument J is going to be a C++ function so the type would be something like int(*)(int,char), will BOOST_TYPEOF work with that because I tried and it just complained that J was unexpected, where writing int(*)(i... 
Posted January 31, 2010 10:11:33 AM
Template Argument Deduction Order [C++] But it does work, this successfully compiles: template<typename T, T J> T Function() { return J; } That wasn't my question, mine was in that example is their anyway to get it to deduce the first template argument by the seco... 
Posted January 30, 2010 10:22:52 PM
View All Replies Made By This User