Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Butabee...  
Full Name  
Nickname Butabee 
State/Province, Country
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 991  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 9/29/2009 11:39:31 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Fixed angle lookup I need a quick way of finding the angle of any x,y point. I don't need the exact angle, I just need to find the closest angle out of a set of fixed angles. So if I had 1000 angles encompassing 360 degrees, and say I had the value of these angles s... 
Posted January 5, 2011 6:34:07 PM
Game based on spherical coordinates I'm in the planning stages of making a game, and I want to strictly use spherical coordinates for everything. The main reason behind this is that I will doing the rendering in a different way that is based on spherical coordinates and I think... 
Posted January 3, 2011 6:00:20 PM
Best way to draw around 1 million points in DX What would be the best way to draw around a million lit, colored, untextured points in DirectX9? Right now I'm using a vertex buffer and one draw call that draws a point list and it seems like it should be faster. 
Posted January 4, 2011 3:53:58 AM
Voxel Mapping So I had this idea to represent 3D objects with just a few images and a quad. There would be an image for a color map, and two images for the positions map. There's two images for the position map because each dimension needs two channels for high... 
Posted October 3, 2010 8:19:41 PM
Getting 3D coords to screenspace without matrix transforms. How can it be done? I'm trying to think of new ways to render 3D that needs to be as fast as possible. 
Posted October 11, 2010 5:40:22 PM
Finding Vector transform based off other vector transform. I was wondering if there is a way to find another vectors transform based off a different vectors transform. I was thinking I could do it by finding the difference of the original vector and it's transformed value, but that doesn't seem to be work... 
Posted October 9, 2010 2:23:09 AM
Predetermined ray-plane collision points Is there a way to find out what a rays collision point would be without doing a ray-plane intersection test? What I was thinking is that there should be some way to find a another rays collision point by doing a normal ray-plane collision test for... 
Posted October 8, 2010 5:27:39 PM
Dimensions of an RGBA image I was thinking about it and I think an rgba image has 6 dimensions. x, y , r,g,b,a I thought of this because I'm trying to create voxel objects with a single rgba image. just a little something I thought was interesting.  
Posted October 3, 2010 5:03:49 AM
Creating depth maps from 3D models. So, I'm working on creating depth maps from 3D models but I'm running into a problem. I want to recreate a 3D model from the depth map info but if I scan the depths always pointing to the center of the model then some info is lost if the obje... 
Posted October 1, 2010 7:31:44 PM
depth map with more than 255 values I need to create a depth map with more than one channel of values but I'm unsure how to mix the colors to go through up to the full color range. 
Posted September 30, 2010 9:36:19 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Fixed angle lookup I want to make a point\voxel renderer that finds out what points to render based on the points angle relative to the camera. Each screen pixel has an associated angle. Then there's a hash map of with angles as keys with point properties as va... 
Posted January 5, 2011 7:03:18 PM
Game based on spherical coordinates The problem is that I'd have to do the conversion about a million times per frame, which I think would get expensive pretty fast. What I'm doing or am planning on doing is using a 360 degree view grid/array to determine what to render. Wit... 
Posted January 3, 2011 7:23:06 PM
Getting 3D coords to screenspace without matrix transforms. I was thinking I might try to do something with the angles of vectors compared to the camera. If you take a ray for each pixel it will have have a certain angle too. Then there just needs to be a fast way to match the vector angle with the ray angle. 
Posted October 12, 2010 6:37:35 PM
Voxel Mapping Quote:Original post by spacerat hm.. if it wouldn't be ray casting, you need to rasterize the geometry from the map. but how do you guarantee that there are no gaps between pixels? Its like point based rendering / splatting if I understand correctly... 
Posted October 12, 2010 5:31:07 PM
Getting 3D coords to screenspace without matrix transforms. Quote:Original post by jyk I guess you got tired of my asking what you were really trying to do, huh? :) You could have just posted to your existing thread, you know - it's allowed ;) I think it's worth noting that you got a similar response here... 
Posted October 12, 2010 12:31:14 AM
Getting 3D coords to screenspace without matrix transforms. Quote:Original post by Atrix256 I played around very briefly with some software rendering stuff before there was such thing as 3d vid cards and opengl/directx (as im sure lots of people here did) How i converted from 3d points to screen space was... 
Posted October 11, 2010 6:43:53 PM
Getting 3D coords to screenspace without matrix transforms. Quote:Original post by Palidine As a practical matter, 3D graphics are executed on graphics cards whose hardware is specifically designed do matrix transformations fast. Obviously, doing not-matrix-transformations on hardware optimized for... 
Posted October 11, 2010 6:37:20 PM
Getting 3D coords to screenspace without matrix transforms. Quote:Original post by karwosts It's not possible to just 'render faster' in the general case. This mathematics for 3d rendering have been developed by decades by very smart people, some guys on a game forum aren't just going to invent a new wa... 
Posted October 11, 2010 6:26:48 PM
Getting 3D coords to screenspace without matrix transforms. I'm talking about theory, thinking of ways that haven't been done, or at least aren't widely known. Thanks for the reply. 
Posted October 11, 2010 6:10:12 PM
Voxel Mapping Quote:Original post by spacerat You might want to read this: CPU Gems3 Chapter 21. True Impostors http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGems3/gpugems3_ch21.html Its implemented in Future mark vantage: http://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/3dmarkva... 
Posted October 10, 2010 10:54:53 PM
View All Replies Made By This User