Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Ravyne...  
Full Name Michael Thompson
Nickname Ravyne 
State/Province, Country WA   United States
GD Gathering City Kirkland, WA, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL Coming Soon! 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1651  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 2/26/2007 4:59:09 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Go: A new, open-source programming language from Google Go: A new, open-source programming language from GooglePosted by: Ravyne at November 12, 2009 3:30:34 PMArs Technica reports that The Big G has made public a new, open-source programming language called "Go". The new language began life as a "20%" pr... 
Posted November 12, 2009 3:30:34 PM
Is this a kosher way to work around the lack of function template default arguements? As you're probably aware, function templates in C++ don't support default arguments, which is to say that: template < typename T = float > T add(const T &lhs, const T &rhs) { return lhs + rhs; } doesn't compile, because we're attempting to s... 
Posted August 18, 2009 9:55:16 PM
Thoughts on an ideal lightweight OS for games on small, embedded systems. The Thread title sort of says it all, so let me explain my motivation -- In a couple months time, I'll be taking an extension certificate program through the local state university in Embedded System Development. As part of this course, we will ev... 
Posted August 4, 2009 4:48:49 AM
Microsoft announces Direct2D API So, I thought this might be interesting to you folks, but I was surprised to find no topic yet. Relevent links are here and here. In Summary: Direct2D (or D2D) is a native immediate-mode 2D graphics rendering API that is built on top of D... 
Posted November 5, 2008 4:37:38 PM
NVidia Driver details reveal incoming OpenGL 3.0 support and more NVidia Driver details reveal incoming OpenGL 3.0 support and morePosted by: Ravyne at August 1, 2008 8:03:57 PMArs Technica reports: NVIDIA will launch a new version of its ForceWare graphics drivers in September, and its unusual name is causing s... 
Posted August 1, 2008 8:03:57 PM
Staff: Merging GD.NET accounts? Forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask, but I'm wondering if the GD.net back-end has any provisions in place to merge two accounts into one? I ask because I lost access to my original account when the site was attacked about a year ago.... 
Posted February 29, 2008 3:49:29 PM
Nintendo's ES Operating System Nintendo's ES Operating SystemPosted by: OSNews.com at December 1, 2007 4:19:22 PMES (google translation) is a fairly interesting looking open source research OS created by Nintendo. Runs natively on x86 (and qemu of course), kernel is written i... 
Posted December 1, 2007 4:19:22 PM
Windows Mobile Game Starter Kit featuring SkiTime Mobile Hello folks, today I am announcing that my Game Starter Kit and sample game, SkiTime Mobile, has just hit MSDN and is available for download now. This Starter Kit was developed during my recent contract assignment with the Windows Mobile and Embedded... 
Posted September 24, 2007 5:25:53 PM
My Windows Mobile Game Starter Kit has just hit MSDN! Hello folks, today I am announcing that my Game Starter Kit and sample game, SkiTime Mobile, has just hit MSDN and is available for download now. This Starter Kit was developed during my recent contract assignment with the Windows Mobile and Embe... 
Posted September 21, 2007 5:52:47 AM
[C++] Returning to method after class is deleted? I have an interesting issue that I've come across in my game architecture. Let me explain. My game engine relies on a stack of GameState objects which represent various portions of the game - A splash screen, the main menu, pause screen, game... 
Posted August 11, 2007 11:26:03 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Programming changed? Forever? Quote:Original post by Programmer One Quote:Original post by way2lazy2care I think if anything is going to "change programming forever" it's going to be the shift from low level programming languages to high level programming languages. For... 
Posted January 6, 2011 2:08:48 AM
Classes used for Individual entities. C++ SOLVED Classes similar to what you describe are the classic OOP approach, and is perfectly fine for smaller-scale games where the quantity and type of information is known (or reasonably estimated) ahead of time. There are alternatives, however -- Fir... 
Posted January 6, 2011 1:43:45 AM
RPG Game like diablo in HTML 5 The biggest problem with gaming in pure HTML5 is sound -- real-time rendering has been solved by canvas (both 2D and WebGL). The problem with sound is that there's no real concept of mixing sounds, and only very basic play controls (start, stop,... 
Posted January 6, 2011 1:07:27 AM
So i quit my job and told them they suck! Wow Zero, seems you've found a manager who might actually get it. [smile] Many people, given even a tiny bit of power, are far to busy playing king of their little castle to abide such 'insults', much less find the time for a little honest introsp... 
Posted January 3, 2011 7:30:20 PM
The Actual Writing Process??? Generally there are several documents involved in a game design: You've got a concept document which is a very high-level document describing things like characters, settings, gameplay, target audience and platform. In a formal setting, this is th... 
Posted December 29, 2010 7:50:44 PM
Partitioning and dual OS? In your case, since XP is pretty outdated now, you probably have a pretty good idea of exactly how much space you need for XP and all the programs you intend to run from it. If that assumption is correct I would create 3 partitions. Whichever OS y... 
Posted December 28, 2010 5:51:06 AM
Mechanical Dongle Based Games An off-the-shelf solution would be something like the UBW (USB Bit Whacker) or UWB32 (a more-powerful variant) -- both sold by SparkFun. Basically its a microcontroller pre-programmed with a USB stack and a protocol for reading/writing digital I/O (p... 
Posted December 25, 2010 4:01:11 AM
1366x768 The new Macbook Air 13" has a 1440x900 resolution -- pretty much the best resolution one can expect in a sub-14" form factor. May not be what you're after, given the otherwise outdated specs, but the price isn't half bad considering the battery... 
Posted December 25, 2010 3:54:37 AM
IDE without WORKSPACES/SOLUTIONS Honestly, I think you're probably the only one looking for a "solution" to this "problem". For short, throw-away code it may seem a bit over-engineered, but no one writes real code like that. Every "real" project you undertake might le... 
Posted December 24, 2010 11:16:55 PM
To use a namespace or not? That is the question. No real pitfalls, some people just find it annoying. It can lead to longer names, sure, but if things are logically separated you shouldn't need to have too many 'using namespace <lib>::<subsystem>::<object>' directives laying aroun... 
Posted December 21, 2010 10:28:54 PM
View All Replies Made By This User