Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know PaperFace...  
Full Name  
Nickname PaperFace 
State/Province, Country
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1015  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 8/8/2007 6:05:11 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
directX10 - how on earth do you vsync? I'm slowly making the switch to directX10 by re-writing a simple enough 2D game from scratch for it. Seems pretty nice so far, a lot of the fluff has been tidied up etc. But one thing which is really baffling me is how to enable vsync. In... 
Posted March 20, 2009 8:09:36 AM
Objective C - is it possible to create object arrays? Hi, Not sure how many Object C programmers we have here but I've started to learn it and have run into a problem. I was using structs and arrays, but want to migrate them into class's and objects. So I've got my entity struct and moved it into... 
Posted September 3, 2008 2:08:14 PM
Calculating rotation from movement. Hi, I hope someone can help. I'm coding an iPhone game and I'm trying to calculate the rotation based on the speed of an entity (x and y). Normally I'd get the speed, then calculate the rotation using cos and sin. But now I have the x and... 
Posted September 3, 2008 4:17:18 AM
Dissecting Sprites in DirectX9 Hi everybody, I'm currently working on a 2d game engine which is going to have some obscenely large sprites, and the problem I've ran into is that directx has a texture size limit (depending on the graphics card) where as a surface, can... 
Posted January 8, 2008 1:40:59 PM
Early RTS prototype Thanks for all your help so far, I'm slowly getting everything put together for a basic RTS game engine. height mapped terrain with real-time deformations, (crude atm) multi-texturing, projectile physics, terrain following for wheeled vehicles and th... 
Posted August 20, 2007 4:23:46 PM
Directx sizes and scales (where to start) I'm sure this question must have been asked before but my search skills are failing me. When I first started working on my directx projects I used an .x file exporter for 3dsmax, the result was that a pretty large model in max ended up at aro... 
Posted August 20, 2007 12:53:54 PM
Finding out where a ray hits the ground. Hello again chaps, I've implemented a picking system where I can select my little tanks by clicking the screen, which creates a ray then performs an D3DXIntersect on all the tanks and selects any which are clicked on. Nice and easy! I... 
Posted August 15, 2007 4:06:25 AM
(looking for) a shader for blending textures together Hi everyone. Can anybody recommend to me, or tell me the source for a good shader for blending multiple textures together? I've made a landscape from a height map and just wanted a shader could take 4 different textures, and depending on... 
Posted August 17, 2007 7:32:09 AM
Direct-X 9 mouse problems I followed the directx 8 mouse tutorial on the site and it all compiles perfectly, only the mouse position always seems to be off. I've created a mouse_x and mouse_y variable at start-up, and then everytime it calls the GetDeviceState I... 
Posted August 9, 2007 2:26:32 PM
Aligning an object to the level of the ground beneath it Hi Chaps, I need some help again, I've written a bit of code which fetchs the heights along the middle of each side of an objects bounding box, then uses this to calculate the roll and pitch in order to make the object 'sit' on the landscape... 
Posted August 9, 2007 3:13:49 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Dissecting Sprites in Direct3D Trying to port this across to directx9, it all seems to run perfectly but I only get the first sprite which is just a black empty box. Any ideas? replaced my old 2D sprite loading code with it as it made more sense (some of my sprite sheets a... 
Posted January 8, 2008 8:58:11 AM
Early RTS prototype Thanks. My plan is to get all the basics done then optimize it like crazy before moving onto anything else. Just need to figure out this selecting a spot on terrain (threads in general game programming) then I can start optimizing what's... 
Posted August 21, 2007 3:07:30 AM
Finding out where a ray hits the ground. Bumpity! Managed to convert my whole terrain system so it produces a mesh which is now rendering perfectly, hurrar! So I've started using the D3DXIntersect system, assuming the U and V values it spits out would be relative to the object space c... 
Posted August 20, 2007 8:30:44 AM
Finding out where a ray hits the ground. Thanks for the source, i'll give it a shot. The reason I can do it with the entity models are because they are mesh's loaded from x files. I tried converting my terrain into a mesh (creating a mesh, setting the FVF, copying the vertex's across etc... 
Posted August 17, 2007 3:47:21 PM
(looking for) a shader for blending textures together Your a star! I'll give it a try next time I'm coding and let you know how I get on. Whats the best way of getting the blend %'s to the shader? My thought was to have a vector4 storing the 4 blend values inside of the FVF. But does that wo... 
Posted August 17, 2007 12:59:05 PM
Finding out where a ray hits the ground. Thats what my first thought was, but i'm pretty new to C++ and my engine is a frankenstein of tutorials merged together :) Could somebody be so kind as to set me off in the right direction as to how I do it? 
Posted August 15, 2007 3:33:57 PM
Finding out where a ray hits the ground. Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't know the "appropriate quads" as I don't have the X or Z values either :( I followed this tutorial to do the object picking: http://www.toymaker.info/Games/html/picking.html if any kind soul can tell me how... 
Posted August 15, 2007 7:12:45 AM
Aligning an object to the level of the ground beneath it Nah you probably have a point, just trying to get my head around what I need to code to fix it. Thanks for helping btw :P coding is a means to an end for me and I just want to make a really cool little game, but have to learn tons and tons of 3D pish... 
Posted August 9, 2007 5:54:34 AM
Aligning an object to the level of the ground beneath it Quote:Original post by Gage64 If you just apply the transformation matrix on the AABB, it may no longer be an AABB. Hmm.. The axis alignment basically just changes the rotation.x and rotation.y values for the entity, so that sort of gets f... 
Posted August 9, 2007 5:38:32 AM
Aligning an object to the level of the ground beneath it Thanks for the reply. I must not have been too clear, but it sounds like I was doing the bounding box stuff the right way. Basically everytime the entity moves, it recalculates it's own bounding box by getting the meshs boundingbox (which never... 
Posted August 9, 2007 4:59:38 AM
View All Replies Made By This User