Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Ashaman73...  GDNet+
Full Name  
Nickname Ashaman73 
State/Province, Country
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1259  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 11/11/2006 1:43:06 AM
GDNet+ Journal http://members.gamedev.net/ashaman73/journal/
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
The anti-casual game I'm developing a game which targets expert gamers. Not just core gamers who play lot of games, but gamers who are willing to handle complex gameplay mechanism, like dwarven fortress. I'm not planning to make it more like a 'casual' game by removi... 
Posted November 11, 2010 9:57:25 AM
Balancing in a procedural RPG Consider a rpg in which creatures are procedurally generated. Sure, there are pre-designed skills and traits, but you can't really predict how powerful this creature will be compared to the player (who could utitlize different skill trees etc.). The... 
Posted October 19, 2010 3:15:55 AM
Cliche or alienation in fanatsy settings Think about a rpg. Would you prefer to play a Dwarf/Human/Elf Warrior/Mage or a Xhan/Evu/Mera Asai/Abras ? I've always the problem with cliches and alienation. When I play a game with a tolkin fantasy setting I never really thought about races and... 
Posted September 23, 2010 1:51:41 AM
detection and dissolving of a traffic jam In my game I have lot of independent agents running around in a tunnel system. Agents can block each other, so the problem is, that at certain bottlenecks the agents will create a traffic jam. To solve this for just 2-3 agents, agents, who detec... 
Posted September 15, 2010 2:47:21 AM
Gaining exp: the rubberband effect Ok, just an idea. In my game I've something similar too experience points, for the sake of simplicity I call it just XP. You gain XP by picking them up from *surprise* killed monster or from quests. The quest reward is not just a instant XP reward bu... 
Posted September 16, 2010 1:51:11 AM
Alternative multiplayer approaches As a hobby developer without any illusion of making money with my current game in development, I have the fortune to choose not populare gameplay feature or even experiemental one. Although being a big online multiplayer fan, I struggle... 
Posted July 26, 2010 5:46:36 AM
Which installer ? Hi, I'm looking for an installer software to release and patch a little game project. My requirements: - free (bonus: for commercial usage) - easy to use and slim - able to patch - able to patch from "any previous" version to target version ... 
Posted July 27, 2010 7:29:18 AM
Tools to design content Hi, what tools are you using to design your content like items stats, mob stats etc. I'm not talking about any art or source control tools. More like a simple excel sheet which contains all the stats of your items and will be exported to csv. T... 
Posted June 29, 2010 2:06:29 AM
The bridge between FP(S) and RPG Well, I'm a little bit lost. The game I'm working at, is a rpg which utilize a first person perspective. My first (and naive) approach was, to handle the game just like any other standard (MMO)RPG from a FPS view which means select a target, press au... 
Posted June 24, 2010 2:49:52 AM
Looking for alternative to stipple polygon I want to play around with stipple transparency in a deferred shader. Well, stippling seems to be deprecated with atleast OGL3.2 and I'm looking for an alternative way of appling a stipple pattern to my render pipeline. The best idea sofar would b... 
Posted June 8, 2010 1:16:43 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
3d Textures Take a look at texture arrays which are similar to 3d textures but without the mipmapping/blending issues. Thought I would go for a padded atlas too.  
Posted January 6, 2011 9:42:45 AM
OpenGL Lighting GLSL The problem are color values which are not between 0 and 1. The simplest solution would be to clamp the values to 0..1: ... gl_FragColor = clamp(final_color,0.0,1.0); Thought this might produce some ugly highlighting artifacts. The b... 
Posted January 4, 2011 3:54:56 AM
Capsule Character for Collision? Quote:Original post by AntiGuy I don't see myself as a pioneer or anything close to one, but when something doesn't really sound all that complex and seems like a logical way to go in terms of what you want to do, I think it's fair to give it a... 
Posted December 17, 2010 4:06:08 AM
Capsule Character for Collision? Quote:Original post by AntiGuy Grabbing a ledge This one I'm much more interested in. When grabbing a ledge, let's say you want to link the position of the hand bone to the position of the ledge. The position of the hand bone will be located... 
Posted December 16, 2010 1:58:51 AM
Capsule Character for Collision? Quote:Original post by AntiGuy ..(minus all the animation bells and wistles).. It is all about animations :-) A capsule(or 2-3 spheres to approximate a capsule) is often used for two reasons: 1. The collision detection of a capsule is very cheap. ... 
Posted December 15, 2010 3:55:59 AM
Heavy Hogur Congrats, looks great ! Nice artwork and the game looks really polished. 
Posted December 14, 2010 1:22:40 AM
How to make my game run on all graphics cards Are you using a nvidia or ati video card for development ? Nvidia cards are known to be more slack about the gsls syntax, whereas ati requires the correct syntax. I would sugguest to buy atleast one video card from every major video chip manufac... 
Posted December 8, 2010 7:57:43 AM
Spotlight attenuation Quote:Original post by doesnotcompute In Frank Luna's DX9 book he gives the equation for spotlight attenuation as: max(dot(-L,d),0)^s. The light direction dotted with the vector from the light to the vertex/pixel position raised to some exponent. ... 
Posted December 3, 2010 1:42:12 AM
Problem running on other machines... Quote: Any suggestions would be much appreciated, and thank you in advance. Write a log file from the beginning and log everything you do at startup (setting up rendering context, audio context etc.). Don't forget to flush the file whenever you a... 
Posted December 1, 2010 9:41:27 AM
Rebirth Community Quote: It allows every object to be used, period. If you pick up a piece of wood, you can hammer it to your barricade. if you find a rpg, you can mount it on your fort where ever. anything is possible. now your thinking well thats not that inte... 
Posted November 30, 2010 1:58:27 AM
View All Replies Made By This User