Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Daniel E...  
Full Name  
Nickname Daniel E 
State/Province, Country Nordrhein-Westfalen   Germany
GD Gathering City Cologne, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1064  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 6/18/2009 8:00:01 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Megatexture Demo (+ Source) Hi, I finally got around to release the source code of my megatexture implementation which i have already introduced in this thread. The source can be found here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/megatexturedemo/files/MegaTextureDemoSource.rar/... 
Posted January 1, 2011 3:16:42 AM
Megatexture Demo Hi, I'm looking for some feedback on this spontaneous demo: An implementation of megatexture / virtual texturing. I haven't been able to test this on other machines and i have to present this on an unfamliar system in some days (wit... 
Posted November 22, 2010 7:17:22 PM
Vertex Texture Seams (DX9) Hi I'm desperately trying to align some heightmap textures in the vertex shader to create a seamless terrain. When using a single texture for the heightmap, everything is fine: But as soon as I try to do any sort of tiling, gross seams a... 
Posted October 12, 2010 2:48:46 PM
Outdoor Lighting Hi, I'm trying to add realistic light to my outdoor scene but i'm having a hard time getting good looking results. I tried several normal bump mapping and per pixel lighting methods but my objects are never lit in a realistic manner, especially... 
Posted September 17, 2009 6:36:30 PM
Bird movement Hi i'm working on implementing some kind of flocking behaviour so far it works alright Here's a video: video but a major problem is, that the birds arent rotating like real birds would :/ I've been reading a lot about quaternion... 
Posted September 13, 2009 6:05:18 PM
please help me fix my grass Hi, i'm trying to implement the technique described in "Toward Photorealism in Virtual Botany" http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGems2/gpugems2_chapter01.html i got it working pretty good so far except that the distanced billboard dont s... 
Posted June 30, 2009 11:10:27 PM
whats wrong about this working code? Hi, i'm simply trying to face an object into a direction giving by a 3D vector. i only want to do the Y-rotation. After hours of research and testing, i came up with the folowing working code: float rot; rot = atan2(v.x, v.z)... 
Posted June 29, 2009 7:04:00 PM
efficient mesh management? Hi, So i have my Mesh Objects of (semi-pseudo code): class MeshObject { LPD3DXMESH mesh; } MeshObject meshes[10]; and my function to load a mesh to it void loadMesh() { LPD3DXMESH mesh; LoadMeshFromF... 
Posted June 23, 2009 5:18:03 PM
day & night cycle sky shader for you Hi, so here's my first contribution to this site i've learned so much from. a day & night cycle sky shader written in hlsl. here's a video of it on youtube: the shader is written for ps/vs 2.0 and uses one pass. Credits g... 
Posted June 18, 2009 12:06:57 PM
What might cause these graphic glitches? Hi, i've been trying to figure this out forever. The water and the terrain cause some weird graphic glitches. They become worse the greater the camera distance is. It looks ok when you're close though. I have tried all render states i could... 
Posted June 18, 2009 8:09:27 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Megatexture Demo (+ Source) Quote:Original post by sensate Nice work. I've been meaning to look into virtual texturing for a while now. Does your source include the asset generation logic? Yes, it does, but my tools aren't as comprehensive as ID Software's yet ;) You ca... 
Posted January 5, 2011 5:42:23 PM
Megatexture Demo (+ Source) Quote:Original post by adt7 I images are certainly impressive, but when I try to use the test data you've provided I get multiple "Deserialization Error"s then a crash. I have uploaded a new version of the demo last night. The file format changed... 
Posted January 5, 2011 11:32:10 AM
Megatexture Demo (+ Source) Quote:Original post by unbird Chapeau! I see you got that artifact solved. Congrats again and thanks for sharing. PS: Happy new Year! Thanks, happy new year to you too ;-) I wasn't aware that I fixed the artifact you've encountered, but i'm... 
Posted January 2, 2011 2:26:32 PM
SetTexture Quote:Original post by unbird Your last idea sounds very much like mega texturing - a.k.a. virtual texturing. Recently someone posted a demo implementation in the graphics forum. The developer has promised to release the source code. I'm definite... 
Posted December 17, 2010 10:34:38 PM
Your Gaming Genotype (Rank your Top games by category) Baldurs Gate 1-2 Planescape Torment Diablo 1-2 Dungeon Siege 2 Neverwinter Nights 1 Oblivion Fallout 1-3 Final Fantasy VII-X Icewind Dale Ultima IX Divine Divinity Beyond Divinity Gothic 2-3 Risen Tales of Eternia Tales of Vesperia Tw... 
Posted December 13, 2010 2:27:45 PM
Megatexture Demo Quote:Original post by adt7 I cannot wait to get home and try this. I also can't wait for the source, I could never get the texture streaming from disk to work in my implementation, so I was "mega"texturing with 4096 x 4096 textures and paging fr... 
Posted November 26, 2010 2:25:50 PM
Megatexture Demo Thanks guys! The mip map artifacts some of you see seem to be specific to the 8000-series. I'll look into it. I assume you have the latest drivers. The good news is that i just presented the demo and everything worked pretty well! It was damn slow... 
Posted November 24, 2010 1:49:24 PM
Megatexture Demo Quote:Original post by Chris_F Forgot to mention that I was getting 600-750fps (1024x768, Max Tris 10,000, PNG Compression 9) and it looks very good. Thanks for the performance details. That's pretty nice :) The "PNG Compression" setting refers t... 
Posted November 23, 2010 10:23:29 PM
Megatexture Demo Quote:Original post by Funkymunky That is extremely cool. I hadn't realized the full impact of what it's like to be able to walk up to a 3d texture and never see it pixelize. Amazing. I got a solid 200 FPS give or take 20, Thanks, Funkymunky!... 
Posted November 23, 2010 9:43:10 PM
Megatexture Demo Quote:Original post by MJP I just ran it on my work machine and it ran fine. My coworkers and I were very impressed! Thank you, MJP! This is a great honor for me! I've learned a few things from reading your blog ;) Btw I just noticed that... 
Posted November 23, 2010 6:23:29 PM
View All Replies Made By This User