Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Amr0...  
Full Name  
Nickname Amr0 
State/Province, Country
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1080  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 3/19/2007 11:28:16 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Curver Hi. These are a couple of screenshots from Curver, a small application I'm currently making for creating curves for clean line art quickly and intuitively. Basically instead of working with control points and tangents, the user draws curves and then... 
Posted March 15, 2010 3:17:58 PM
Many template function arguments Hello everyone. I have a rather simple problem and I thought maybe there is something I'm missing that would help me with it. I have a function that loops over a number of objects and doe some calculations and modifies them, and I'd like to keep that... 
Posted March 1, 2010 3:38:15 PM
DX9: [D3DXEFFECT] Global bools in conditionals Hello, how are you doing? If I do something like this in an effect file: bool g_bBlackness; // ..... stuffs.... float4 AwesomenessPixelShader() { if( g_bBlackness ) return float4( 0, 0, 0, 1 ); // ... do potentially c... 
Posted January 4, 2010 6:18:42 PM
VC++ 2008 EE. Where are the CRT docs? I've recently upgraded from VC++ 2005 Express Edition to the 2008 version, and I can't find the documentation for the C runtime. My development machine doesn't always have internet connection so I can't rely on the online docs. Is there a w... 
Posted April 22, 2009 7:19:23 PM
Normal from Depth Hi. I render my scene and store only the screen-space depth into a 32-bit floating point buffer. How can I later use the depth at each pixel (and neighboring pixels) to construct a screen-space normal vector? For now, I have this in the final HL... 
Posted October 27, 2008 3:17:19 PM
[DX9] Render targets, off-screen rendering, & rendering to textures Hi. In the documentation for the ID3DXRenderToSurface interface which "is used to generalize the process of rendering to surfaces", it says: "Surfaces can be used in a variety of ways including render targets, off-screen rendering, or rendering to te... 
Posted October 28, 2008 9:20:18 PM
Modern engine design Hello. There are a lot of resources that one could look at for help on implementing a particular effect or technique, but resources on how to design a powerful and flexible modern rendering engine are scarse, I think. All the resources... 
Posted August 29, 2008 8:26:09 AM
Uniform booleans in effects Hi. In an effect, I have a global boolean variable whose value is set by the app on a per-object basis, and in the pixel shader function I test if that boolean is set or not, and if it's set the pixel shader does lots of computations. Now, assum... 
Posted February 22, 2008 7:50:29 PM
Optimizing C++ with code generators Hi. I'm writing a software renderer in C++ (for evil reasons, don't ask), and I have come to believe that I could use dynamic code generation to optimize some critical parts. For example, I suppose it can be used to avoid the need to check per pixel... 
Posted February 7, 2008 7:33:59 PM
Know a free fluid simulation library? Hi. Does anyone know of a simple, good, free, and realtime-oriented C++ library for fluid simulation? I'm only looking for 2D functionality, so it doesn't have to support 3D simulation. Thanks in advance. 
Posted January 26, 2008 1:34:12 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
[win32] window procedure: 1 for all window or 1 per window ? You can't (directly) have a window procedure per window. The window procedure is a property of the window class, and all windows that share the same window class will have the same window procedure. However, there are ways to couple some Window objec... 
Posted November 28, 2010 5:35:34 AM
Sun rays in Proun Quote:Original post by BattleMetalChris Those are still images so I'm guessing here, but given that it's a very fast game and the cable is very close to the camera as it passes, would it benefit from blurring the texture on the cable in on... 
Posted November 20, 2010 6:04:07 AM
[DirectX] DrawText() with DT_CALCRECT problem.. Try this: RECT r = {0, 0, 0, 0}; int len = strlen( pText ); if( len == 0 ) return 0; char lastChar = pText[ len-1 ]; if( lastChar == ' ' ) pText[ len-1 ] = '_'; pFont->DrawText( NULL, pText, -1, &r, DT_CACLRECT, 0xffffffff ); pTe... 
Posted April 19, 2010 4:48:29 AM
[DirectX] DrawText() with DT_CALCRECT problem.. Quote:in addition, i'm writing the Edit control, i'd like make the cursor follow the strings, Good luck with that! I don't want to put you down, but look at the code for the edit control in DXUT... it's not trivial to say the least. Now that I m... 
Posted April 18, 2010 8:10:50 AM
[DirectX] DrawText() with DT_CALCRECT problem.. Try DT_CALCRECT | DT_SINGLELINE. Also experiment with DT_EXTERNALLEADING. Also, it seems what you're trying to do is draw separate strings next to each other. Tinkering with text placement too much is rarely a good idea. Instead, I suggest you just... 
Posted April 18, 2010 4:55:09 AM
Game Programmer Wanted Quickly, before anybody sees this. 
Posted April 16, 2010 7:51:26 AM
The Daily GameDev.net Quote:Day 1 Studios, the developer of Fracture, is handling the development for the next game in Warner Bros.' FEAR series: F3AR. Yes. F3AR. This is the name of the game. F3AR. -_-' Reminds me of the trauma of Thiaf from which I'm still trying... 
Posted April 9, 2010 3:35:07 AM
BMP write problem A while ago I wrote a little class for working with GDI bitmaps, and there is a method to save to a bmp file. Get the source code here. Here is the save method: ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// // Desc: Save bit... 
Posted April 4, 2010 12:17:13 PM
Custom Control: Infinite Draw Loop * In the WM_KEYDOWN switch case, you should call UpdateWindow() right after you call InvalidateRect(). Without this call pressing space will not cause the control to be updated (it won't receive a WM_PAINT message). * In updateBox::drawControl(),... 
Posted April 2, 2010 12:50:27 PM
Typical design for DirectX9's Device Lost handling Quote:Original post by Evil Steve Internally, when you create a resource in the managed pool, D3D creates a default pool and system memory pool copy of the texture; Here is my understanding of default vs. managed pools. Please correct me if I'm w... 
Posted March 20, 2010 8:19:11 AM
View All Replies Made By This User