Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know spookycat...  
Full Name Chris 
Nickname spookycat 
State/Province, Country Surrey   United Kingdom
GD Gathering City Ockley, Surrey, United Kingdom
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.virtualrc.com/vrc-pro 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1110  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 8/10/2004 3:29:08 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Mesh Modifier System Just thought I would show the Mesh Modifier system I am converting from our own 3d engine over to Unity3D. It's based on the 3ds Max modifier system and can pretty much recreate all the modifiers you can find in there, so things like Morph, FFD,... 
Posted October 28, 2010 8:55:55 PM
Looking for 3ds Max complex Morph example! Hi There Iam looking for a good free to download morphing example in 3ds max, ideally something that makes use of multiple morph targets per channel etc, does anyone have such a file or know where one could be found? Thanks Chris  
Posted July 21, 2010 1:53:48 PM
IES Lighting? Hi All Can anyone give any hints or ideas on how to use IES data for lighting. Iam trying to recreate the effect you get in the realtime viewport of 3ds max when you add a Photometric light, ie correct IES light shapes. I've done the code... 
Posted December 15, 2009 3:58:05 PM
BMFont test program? Hi There Iam working on a project where the coders in another country are using BMFont for text rendering but the results they are getting arnt what is expected re spacing and kerning, so Iam wondering if there is a simple test program out ther... 
Posted October 30, 2009 1:49:53 PM
WaitForMultipleObjects Problem! Hi All I have a strange problem with WaitForMultipleObjects. If I try and do a wait on multiple objects with the line: DWORD status = WaitForMultipleObjects(mDoneEvents.size(), &mDoneEvents[0], TRUE, INFINITE); I get WAIT_FAILED ret... 
Posted August 17, 2009 5:45:53 PM
Finding Volumes in a mesh? Hi There Hoping someone can at least give me a name for what Iam trying to do so I can google it. I have a 3d mesh that is made up of 2 cubes each made from 8 vertices and 12 tris that have been welded together so the resulting mesh is a rectangul... 
Posted July 29, 2009 8:15:28 AM
Next SDK Release? Is there any public news on the next SDK release date and what it might contain. Was expecting a June release. 
Posted July 7, 2009 9:12:15 AM
DirectInput and SpaceNavigator Device! Hi There I recently purchased a SpaceNavigator so I could add support for it to my game, and sure enough DirectInput finds it and all seems OK, but in my input code I make use of DIPROP_APPDATA to identify axis etc, this works fine for all the oth... 
Posted May 27, 2009 8:15:04 AM
CreateDC problem! Hi All Iam trying to grab the entire mutlimon desktop in my C++ app on a system running Vista 64bit, and Iam using CreateDC to get the desktop as described on MSDN. "Windows 2000 and later: If there are multiple monitors on the s... 
Posted April 27, 2009 9:12:19 AM
Capturing Windows Border Problem. Hi All Iam trying to grab images of all the windows that are currently open and visible on my desktop. The code I use is: void SaveScreen(HWND hwnd) { if ( hwnd ) { HDC hdcScreen = GetWindowDC(hwnd); if ( hdcScreen ) { R... 
Posted April 27, 2009 1:31:26 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Mesh Modifier System Quick answers to the questions. Yes it is the standard Unity GUI, not the best system in the world but it does the job and is skinable. Easy enough to work with though. The system is currently being done for a project we are working on, we do... 
Posted November 16, 2010 6:46:13 PM
DXProf Tried it but it doesn't do anything at all when I run it on a Windows 7 64bit machine, no window, no task or process shows up in the task manager. Website says it should work on a 64bit machine. 
Posted February 25, 2010 9:54:07 AM
R5: Trees Those trees look great, and thankyou for providing source code, I will be having a play with this for sure. I did download the exe and it ran fine and looks great but it freezes when I try to generate a new texture. Iam running on a Ati Radeo... 
Posted January 13, 2010 5:36:58 AM
Looking for beta testers for new data mining tool for games Hi Kevin Just trying out EchoChamber but Iam getting the error: The program can't start because QtXml4.dll is missing from your computer. Seems like you missed that out of the install package or something. Also it leaves the process running afte... 
Posted November 3, 2009 7:18:58 AM
BMFont test program? Thankyou for that, worked a treat. Nice tool you have there. I'll have to have a play with that. Upshot of it all is they were doing it right but a mixture of borders and italic is causing overlapping. But thats easily sortable. Thankyou again. C... 
Posted October 31, 2009 8:19:45 AM
Physics +Sound Kickstarter (ODE+FMOD) Tried your demo but it just goes crazy jumping all over the place, just a blur of green and blue. Windows 7 64bit box with q6600 4 core cpu, 4GB ram, Ati 4870 all with latest drivers. 
Posted October 22, 2009 12:34:54 PM
Obtaining system information You might have a look at the Windows Management Instrumentation. That gives you access to a fair few bits of info. 
Posted October 13, 2009 5:48:47 PM
Can't reduce model's dimensions Not sure how you are collapsing the scene, I tested it by selecting the objects and then right clicking and then Convert/Convert to Editable Mesh this left all materials intact. One thing to note with this way of doing things is it will remove sa... 
Posted September 25, 2009 7:56:41 AM
Can't reduce model's dimensions The orange borders usually show the extent of the currently selected modifier in the stack, a lot of exporters dont handle reset xforms very well so the usual thing to do is to right click the object and convert it to an editable mesh after youve res... 
Posted September 24, 2009 5:22:16 AM
Can't reduce model's dimensions Suspect a MaxScript would be the best way to do that. Otherwise you can do it at load time in your engine or during export. If you are building objects from scratch you can turn on 'Snapping' in Max so everything you make is then aligned to what... 
Posted September 23, 2009 10:31:20 AM
View All Replies Made By This User