Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know gameXcore...  
Full Name  
Nickname gameXcore 
State/Province, Country Greater Manchester   United Kingdom
GD Gathering City Sale, Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
Contact Info
Homepage URL www.gameXcore.co.uk 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1029  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 6/23/2008 12:12:50 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Avoiding the "new" keyword in C# to aid read-ability Hi all, I've just moved back to some C#/XNA work and am bolstering up my input systems. A system I am adding is the ability to register key combinations (combinations of keyboard keys, mouse buttons, gamepad buttons) with appropriate logic (and, o... 
Posted July 9, 2010 8:04:47 PM
Static initialization within a library Hey all, So this is post number 1 million regarding problems revolving around me moving my engine into a seperate library. This time my issue is with static variables not initializing. I utilize the pluggable factory pattern in a few places aro... 
Posted June 8, 2010 12:57:57 PM
Messaging system - Handling message subject enumerations Hi all, I'm busy surgically removing the "Engine" from my latest projects and building it into its own reusable library which I can then host in its own SVN project etc etc and avoid having to maintain multiple copys across each project, this will... 
Posted June 1, 2010 5:34:40 PM
Which google code license to use? Hi, I'm pretty sure this is a common question on here, but I cant come across the search terms to find a previous discussion. I've just uploaded my project to google code, and I'm wandering which license to go with, and am completely stuck... 
Posted June 1, 2010 6:29:51 PM
Ambigous call "std::string" and "const std::string &" Hi all, After a major redesign and rework of one of my systems I've come across a bit of a problem that I'm stumped on. I have two functions in the same (template) class: IProperty* MakeProperty(const std::string &name, const... 
Posted May 31, 2010 2:12:42 PM
Setting a pointer location from a string Hi all, This is something that has just tickled my curiosity. I'm currently redeveloping the property system within my engine, giving it an overhaul to make it more extensible (at the moment you have to modify in-engine .h and .cpp files to add... 
Posted May 29, 2010 12:09:18 PM
Project Starblazer Hi all, Project Starblazer is a final year uni project, by myself and fellow gamedev member < 
Posted May 9, 2010 5:10:53 PM
Respraying a laptop Hi all, I've decided that I want to give my laptop a makeover, had it for nearly 5 years now and its starting to look a little hagged. For the record the laptop is a Sony Vaio VGN-N11M. I have two questions I'm hoping someone could answer, f... 
Posted April 5, 2010 4:22:32 PM
Working out best path around circle Hi, First off I apologise if this is a simple problem, but I am unsure of the correct terms to google for an answer. I have a problem where agents approach an obstacle (a circle, defined as center point and radius), when the agent "see's" the o... 
Posted February 27, 2010 4:39:16 PM
Having trouble running OIS in release mode Hi all, I'm currently doing the classic "first release build" which always seems to take forever to get going, at the moment I'm stumped at an error I'm getting while initializing OIS for my input. Here's the relevant code: [source language="c... 
Posted January 20, 2010 2:06:37 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Avoiding the "new" keyword in C# to aid read-ability wow, fast reply, and good, thankyou. I ruled out the parsing method because i decided that having a bullet-proof parsing method that could handle anything was going to be a mammoth task prone to error, not to mention little bugs that could arise f... 
Posted July 9, 2010 8:20:56 PM
Static initialization within a library Well this is bit of a headache, luckily I'm not too worried right now about cross compiler portability, so long as it compiles on MSVC I'm happy, so the pragma option should work. The only problem is, I've never come across dumpbin befor... 
Posted June 8, 2010 4:29:01 PM
function pointer You may also want to google for "Delegates" for a more robust solution. Personally my favorite type is "impossibly fast delegates". 
Posted June 8, 2010 6:00:00 AM
Component-Based Entity Help The way I solved this was to design components carefully. If any one component is dependant upon another I make sure that component gets refactored and rewritten into such a way that the dependency no longer exists.  
Posted June 7, 2010 6:53:17 PM
Messaging system - Handling message subject enumerations The ideas seem very nice, if I'm completely honest however, I'm not understanding them enough to see how they would fit in, for example, using Katie's suggestion, how would that fit into a switch statement (to avoid having to re-write) as don't switc... 
Posted June 7, 2010 11:32:13 AM
Messaging system - Handling message subject enumerations Hey Matt, Sorry for taking so long to reply, and wow that was a long descriptive post. What I gather from it however is that it is a proposal of using a callback system, where a class would have to register with every message it would ever be inte... 
Posted June 5, 2010 11:39:18 AM
Which google code license to use? Hey, Sorry for my late reply, I came across that site but completly missed the section you pointed me to and quickly got bogged down. Thankyou very much. 
Posted June 5, 2010 7:14:39 AM
Messaging system - Handling message subject enumerations So, opening my mind to rewriting all my message handlers, I guess the only way around this is to use strings, given strings are rather hard to maintain tho, I'm going to have to come up with someway of keeping things in order. Does anyone hav... 
Posted June 3, 2010 6:04:45 PM
Messaging system - Handling message subject enumerations Using that suggestion how would I go about determining the type of the message when it is received? The main reason I dont want to use std::strings as the message subject is that I would rather not go through and rewrite 3 projects worth of statement... 
Posted June 1, 2010 6:23:05 PM
Ambigous call "std::string" and "const std::string &" I did indeed change the same of the second function, I also moved the role up a level, instead of the Maker class having two functions it now only has one: IProperty* MakeProperty(const std::string &name); This function will... 
Posted June 1, 2010 5:09:57 PM
View All Replies Made By This User