Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know truthsayer...  Banned
Full Name  
Nickname truthsayer 
State/Province, Country
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 0  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 2/16/2008 7:14:43 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
GC scheme for a new language/runtime I'm well on my way to completing a commercial/production grade language (compiler and runtime environment), but I'm stuck deciding what the final GC scheme should be. Right now I'm using a mixture of lazy reference counting without cyclic refer... 
Posted February 16, 2008 8:47:38 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Programmer's forum Poaching users from other forums is considered to be in very bad taste. Additionally, I can't think of anything less interesting than a completely unfocused "general" programming forum. 
Posted February 16, 2008 8:54:08 PM
Unit Tests and Test-Driven Development Quote:Original post by silvermace lol, get a clue. You must be that scholar I was looking for. Care to explain yourself, or are you afraid your ignorance will shine through? 
Posted February 16, 2008 8:52:35 PM
Unit Tests and Test-Driven Development Quote:Original post by SiCrane Quote:Original post by truthsayer There's no memory shared there. Exactly my point. So you're talking about a completely uninteresting and trivial case. Congratulations must be in order. 
Posted February 16, 2008 8:49:33 PM
Boost Libraries I really wonder how many people recommending Boost here are using it in successful commercial products. The problem with Boost is that it offers many cool things that sound useful, but are painful to use in practice or simply buggy to the point of u... 
Posted February 16, 2008 8:48:40 PM
Unit Tests and Test-Driven Development Quote:Original post by SiCrane // thread safe int add(int a, int b) { return a + b; } There's no memory shared there. Now try writing an entire program this way. It's not really possible in traditional languages built around the shar... 
Posted February 16, 2008 8:44:58 PM
Unit Tests and Test-Driven Development Quote:Original post by SiCrane Quote:Original post by truthsayer And the solution to that is languages with good concurrent programming models, not "OMG make stuff thread safe with locks!". You seem to have a very narrow idea what thread safety me... 
Posted February 16, 2008 8:40:43 PM
Multithreaded game design - help Just stick to using a single thread for now. It's hard enough to program correctly with a sequential model. Doing so with a concurrent model is near impossible in existing languages. Don't be suckered into jumping on the silly "OMG use thread... 
Posted February 16, 2008 8:30:45 PM
Version Control for personal projects on Vista Quote:Original post by Jerax Quote:Original post by Cygon One more vote for subversion. It's very widespread and you won't have to buy a license if you ever happen work on a project with more than 2 users. From my experience, it's incredibl... 
Posted February 16, 2008 8:27:48 PM
Unit Tests and Test-Driven Development Quote:Original post by rip-off Of course not. But a blanket statement does not an argument make. Especially considering that we now program in the era of multiple cores. And the solution to that is languages with good concurrent programming model... 
Posted February 16, 2008 8:24:50 PM
Unit Tests and Test-Driven Development Quote:Original post by rip-off Quote:Original post by truthsayer Thread safety is overrated. You make a compelling argument, I'm convinced. Should every class be thread safe? 
Posted February 16, 2008 8:19:30 PM
View All Replies Made By This User