Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Sloner...  
Full Name Mike Slone
Nickname Sloner 
State/Province, Country IL   United States
GD Gathering City Chicago, IL, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.slonersoft.com 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID SlonerMike 
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Programmer I 
Job Description Programming! 
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1020  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 12/17/2005 11:22:29 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Anti-Crunch Strategies We recently tried something new in an attempt to lessen the blow of crunch time later. We did a "focus" week, where the idea is to lessen meetings and goof-off time and actually do 40 hours of work in a 40 hour week. I'm curious as to what other st... 
Posted January 16, 2007 10:24:05 AM
converting from vertex/face to half-edge structure I currently have models in an x/y/z vertex table, and a vertex1/vertex2/vertex3 table. I need to convert it to a half-edge format. Does anyone know of any examples online for how to do this? 
Posted November 13, 2006 6:01:35 PM
Good Books I got an Amazon.com gift card for Christmas, and I'm trying to find a book that will give me a good general idea on how to structure game programs. I'm not fantastic with OpenGL, but I'm good enough that I don't have to have a book with specifi... 
Posted December 25, 2005 1:00:02 PM
SlonerSoft Puzzle 1.2 Nothing really special about it, but I've decided to post it for y'all, anyway, since I made it, and it's fun. It's a Tetris clone, like any other. I originally wrote it with no textures--color only. I wrote a few structures/programs for maki... 
Posted December 22, 2005 2:18:29 AM
Inheritance Woes I'm having a little trouble with inheritance. I haven't used it much in C++ before, so the arrangements are a little strange to me. I've set up an Object class with two virtual functions, animate(int dt) and draw() as follows: public: virtua... 
Posted December 21, 2005 12:01:59 AM
Resource Problem MSVC++ I'm trying to add an icon to my program, so I've added it in my .rc file. When I go to compile, however, it says "compiling resources" then moves on to the linking phase, and complains that "LNK1104: cannot open file "\Debug\resource.rec" an... 
Posted December 19, 2005 2:13:23 PM
GunPowder Nomads Hey folks, I'm a first-time poster here. I've been coming to this site and reading the articles and forums for months, but haven't posted until now. For my website design class, I didn't want to do an average website, since that'd be way too easy... 
Posted December 18, 2005 2:47:40 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
converting from vertex/face to half-edge structure I went ahead and did it myself. Not terribly complicated, though I had one relatively simple bug jamming up the works for a while. If anyone wants to see the code, let me know. 
Posted November 13, 2006 10:05:07 PM
converting from vertex/face to half-edge structure Hah, I actually read that article. What happened is, I made my own half-edge file format and used it to build a couple models for an assignment, but the teacher said I have to load from the SMF format and convert it to half-edge. I just wanted to f... 
Posted November 13, 2006 7:04:59 PM
Do i learn C or C++? Most people learn C++ first, or Java *shudder.* For starters, however, it might be best to start learning on something like Visual Basic or maybe C#, and THEN try C or C++. C/C++ are much more low-level, and require a lot of learning before yo... 
Posted May 18, 2006 2:52:54 PM
Article: How to move and rotate things in 3D I agree on the topic of the lack of theory. I worked with OpenGL for over a year before I actually got to hear about the concept behind the matrix theory of it. Only reason I did was because I took CS411 (Computer Graphics Programming). &... 
Posted February 21, 2006 10:17:53 AM
Good Books Quote:Original post by godecho Eberly has also put out a book on engine design recently. Good read, goes into a decent amount of depth. Yeah, that's actually the one I was looking most closely at. 
Posted December 30, 2005 12:41:15 AM
Space and starfield rendering Quote:Original post by bleyblue2As stated before, I'm mainly using photoshop so if there's a trick I don't know on how to quickly make a skybox from a rectangular texture, please tell me. I've never actually programmed or created one,... 
Posted December 24, 2005 8:52:18 PM
Fantasy Models, Space Models, Textures and more ... Those really are beautiful. Great work, the detail is impeccable. I really like the shields. They remind me of the armor/shield that Peter wore in Chronicles of Narnia. 
Posted December 24, 2005 1:38:52 AM
Game Maps in 3D RTS Games Quote:Original post by mtemple You're kidding? It's really that easy? It's surprising how little diffrence there is between 2D and 3D programming, when it really comes down to it. The principles are mostly the same, they just tend to add a few n... 
Posted December 24, 2005 1:35:37 AM
Vectors, need some help. Quote:Original post by jyk As it happens, two vectors uniquely describe an orientation, and three vectors describe it redundantly. That was my thought too. The third vector is just the cross product of the other two. I left my notebook in my... 
Posted December 23, 2005 10:58:17 PM
RayTracer in C# Quote:Original post by KDSBest I'm a game developer or i want to be one ;) so i am interessted in the math, but i knew the math already because i have written one in VB 2 years ago. Haha, in VB2, now THAT'S hardcore. But yeah, you're r... 
Posted December 21, 2005 2:52:27 AM
View All Replies Made By This User