Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know ChaosX2...  
Full Name Adam 
Nickname ChaosX2 
State/Province, Country CA   United States
GD Gathering City Folsom, CA, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://ruggles.hopto.org/ 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Web Engineer 
Job Description Web Developer 
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1019  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 7/19/2001 6:09:49 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Storing spawn information for 2d platformer/scroller I'm looking for some idea's how best to store spawn information for a side scroller. The game I'm writing is very similar to Super Mario Bros. What I'm trying to implement is as you move through a level, enemies should spawn at particular locatio... 
Posted August 14, 2010 10:56:47 PM
Need a little help Vertex Arrays I'm trying to understand vertex arrays but I can't seem to find a good tutorial on how to implement them. I have the following structures. struct MeshVertex { float x , y , z; }; struct MeshTextureCoord { float u , v; }; struct... 
Posted January 11, 2006 10:04:43 PM
need a little help getting pointed in the right direction First my goal. To write a simple FPS networked game. It has to run on Windows/Linux/Mac OS X. I have everything figured out except the networking. I'm having problems finding simple cross plaform examples of how to implment a client/server n... 
Posted January 9, 2006 10:45:07 PM
3ds file material mesh group I'm trying to write a 3ds file format parser. I have most of it working but I'm trying to figure out how the 0x4130h MSH_MAT_GROUP maps. Can someone give me an example of how this maps a face to a material? 
Posted January 7, 2006 3:03:05 PM
Game Design Help I'm trying to design a simple 3D Space game and I'm having a little issue with some design concepts. I know I need a Window Manager/Input Manager/Graphics Manager. I originally wrote the window manager as a class. I ran into problems with the wi... 
Posted December 18, 2005 7:58:13 PM
GLFW on Mac issue I'm having an issue with GLFW on Mac OS X. I compiled the Tutorial 1 from the website and when I ran the application it creates the window but the window acts locked up. The Window will not take focus, resize, or move. Does anyone have any su... 
Posted December 21, 2005 5:01:04 PM
code tags how do you do code tags in this forum? 
Posted December 20, 2005 1:56:58 AM
OpenGL font options What are some good options for font rendering in openGL that runs on Linux, Windows, and Mac OS X. What have you used and what is your preferred method? 
Posted December 14, 2005 1:37:48 PM
Simple Font API I'm trying to find a simple font API to use in a cross platform game engine. I just need to be able to print text out to the consol and hud display. Right now I'm using GLFW for the windowing and input system. I've tried glFont but the fonts i... 
Posted July 18, 2005 11:29:57 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Storing spawn information for 2d platformer/scroller That's an interesting idea. Once I get to the point where i can test the two implementations I'll post my results. [Edited by - ChaosX2 on August 22, 2010 10:30:14 PM] 
Posted August 21, 2010 1:30:19 AM
Storing spawn information for 2d platformer/scroller Quote:Original post by Captain P Quote:Original post by ChaosX2 If I leave them in the list of active on screen enemies then I'm stuck updating their location, collision detection and all that jazz. So, don't leave them in that list. Use 3 li... 
Posted August 20, 2010 10:58:52 AM
Storing spawn information for 2d platformer/scroller I'm trying to emulate the behavior of the old mario games. For instance if you when playing one of those games if you pass an enemy and it leaves the edge of the screen then go back you'll notice if you didn't kill the spawned creature it will... 
Posted August 18, 2010 5:55:51 PM
Storing spawn information for 2d platformer/scroller @BeerNutts Yeah that's a good suggestion. Of course as soon as you get to the end of the level the sorted list could become slow. The reason is I can't remove a spawn position until the enemy from that spawn has been killed. If the player doesn... 
Posted August 18, 2010 10:58:35 AM
Storing spawn information for 2d platformer/scroller Quote:Original post by xDS4Lx I dont think you understood what I was saying when I said use a map, i mean the map data structure, you use the point as the key in the map and the value returned is the spawn point. Ex: *** Source Snippet Removed *... 
Posted August 15, 2010 10:19:34 PM
Storing spawn information for 2d platformer/scroller So I'd have two maps one for the x position and one for the y position. I guess I could only have one map containing a list of spawns and order the y values. Most of the time, x will be the important piece. Thanks, that does... 
Posted August 15, 2010 8:38:29 PM
Storing spawn information for 2d platformer/scroller I still think the map technique will require me to perform a scan across the x and y axises to see if anything should spawn within the range. That loop for scanning can get expensive. I can't imagine that the real mario spawning implementation wa... 
Posted August 15, 2010 1:13:20 PM
Storing spawn information for 2d platformer/scroller Yes, I have a tile map for storing the tiles. I guess I'll have to check on the memory consumption of the map. My tile size is 16x16 pixels and my current test levels are 320 tiles wide 15 tiles high. How would it be handled in the map if t... 
Posted August 15, 2010 1:27:21 AM
Storing spawn information for 2d platformer/scroller @xDS4Lx Yes that similar to the effect that I want to produce. What I'm asking is how to store and retrieve that spawn information. @Wavarian I'm planning on using your alternative strategy, where if the player comes within a range to... 
Posted August 15, 2010 12:13:19 AM
Java: Using a database question You should use an in memory database that stores to a file. For example hsqldb. That way you distribute your code with the library, no need for installs. 
Posted December 27, 2009 8:27:55 PM
View All Replies Made By This User