Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Slaru...  
Full Name  
Nickname Slaru 
State/Province, Country IN   United States
GD Gathering City West Lafayette, IN, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1081  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 5/6/2004 11:44:46 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Copying data and corruption Hello, I'll be transferring all my files from one hard drive to another and then back again (because of reinstalling windows and switching hard drives). What is the reliability of this operation and it not corrupting the data? Do I have any... 
Posted March 5, 2006 3:44:44 PM
Problem in the book discussion forum Hello, I was looking in the book discussion forum and noticed the two top threads ("Moved: GameDev.net's New Design" and "Moved: Get your GameDev.net gear! Visit our online store!"). I clicked one (and later the other) and neither of th... 
Posted December 8, 2005 9:36:33 PM
Boost Smart Pointers with Intellisense Hello, I have been using boost's smart pointers and have loved them. The only thing I miss is Intellisense's autocompletion. Is there any way to make Intellisense work with boost's smart pointers? Slaru 
Posted November 8, 2005 8:15:08 PM
Artist wanted for first-person-shooter Team name: No name yet. Project name: Currently there is no project name. Brief description: A First-Person-Shooter game that will be entered into the competition at CodeRedGames.com. Target aim: Freeware - To be entered into the competi... 
Posted October 30, 2005 9:18:12 PM
Display Device and its offset in pixels Hello, I want to create a fullscreen window on a specific monitor for OpenGL. I know the specific device (got it from EnumDisplayDevices()). I can set the device to the right resulution that I want. Now, when I create the window with Crea... 
Posted July 2, 2005 1:27:07 AM
Changing the pixel format Hello, Is it possible to change the pixel format (so I can change number of multisampling samples) under windows without invalidating the rendering context? After reading some documentation, it looks like I can't do this. Can this be confirmed? ... 
Posted July 1, 2005 10:50:40 PM
Boost smart pointers problem Hello, I'm using Boost's smart pointers. Basically, I have a class (Logger) and I typedef a boost::scoped_ptr for it like so: typedef boost::scoped_ptr<Logger> Logger_ptr; I then declare a global pointer to a Logger_ptr: extern Logger_pt... 
Posted June 5, 2005 8:31:37 PM
Physics interpolation problem Hello, I am writing some simple physics for my game. I have read this article about how/why to fix your timestep. But, I'm a little confused about the end, in the section "The Final Touch." The author is demonstrating how to interpolate between... 
Posted May 30, 2005 9:29:27 PM
Epsilon and float comparison I read this article on why not to use epsilon to compare floats. I had always used epsilon for float comparison, but am now wondering if the methods in that article are truly better. Is epsilon good enough for general game programming problems... 
Posted May 27, 2005 9:31:01 PM
Area 51 satellite images Hey, I know there was a discussion of Google's map feature a while back. theinquirer.net posted an article about this just today. You can see Area 51!! If you're interested, there are some pretty strange things there. Slaru 
Posted April 15, 2005 1:12:31 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Dual Monitor Look here. There should be some stuff that will help you. Like you said, if you don't want to copy and paste code, look into the functions at the bottom of that post. [EDIT] I changed the link. I messed it up the first time. Stephen 
Posted June 8, 2006 3:16:07 PM
mutiscreens OpenGL in windows Hello, You will need to get information about the available monitors on the system. Here's some code of mine I wrote recently (meaning it hasn't been tested much) that you can use as a base for enumerating monitors. EnumerateDisplays.h ... 
Posted April 1, 2006 5:59:39 PM
Copying data and corruption Thanks 
Posted March 5, 2006 4:12:41 PM
SDK Download down? Hey, Same for me. Dunno whats up with it. 
Posted December 14, 2005 5:34:21 PM
Flying through a cloud Look here. Read Harris' paper, it is really good. It talks about your problem. 
Posted December 5, 2005 1:42:03 PM
best udp for beginners I might recommend using a higher level networking library that takes care of all the problems associated with UDP. ENet and RakNet are two I can think of off the top of my head. EDIT: Check this out. Slaru 
Posted November 30, 2005 9:54:57 PM
Visual Studio 2005 Express Have you installed the Platform SDK? 
Posted November 28, 2005 11:00:01 PM
Making a gui for my game Here is an article on creating a GUI with DirectX. I haven't read it, so I don't know if it is dated or how much help it will be. Slaru 
Posted November 28, 2005 10:16:03 PM
Making a gui for my game I believe that the DirectX SDK includes some sort of a GUI framework. I know all of the sample applications use it. You might look into that. 
Posted November 28, 2005 10:04:27 PM
Visual Studio 2005 Express Quote:Original post by Mantear How do most people handle their for-loop variables? Declare them at the top, ala C style? Or re-declare them each time? I declare them for each for-loop almost always. I figure compilers should be smart enou... 
Posted November 28, 2005 10:01:52 PM
View All Replies Made By This User