Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know CadeF...  
Full Name  
Nickname CadeF 
State/Province, Country
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://cade.mooo.com 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1214  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 8/16/2005 7:33:56 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
[MDX]Shader editor The screenshots above, are of my work-in-progress shader editor, in VB.NET and MDX. I am planning to make it open source when I am done. Current features include, -Simple, easy to use interface -Variables -Iteration variables (like dynamic vari... 
Posted May 14, 2006 7:54:25 AM
[MDX]AgrDX3DE Game engine Edit: 2 years later The engine eventually powered the game that was called Project: Rhapsody in Laser (RiL). Screenshots of its development (check the date modified on the screenshots to get a chronogical order) are at http://cade.mooo.com/rils... 
Posted November 25, 2006 1:50:52 PM
[Resolved][MDX]Planar reflection, HLSL Fixed, in the shader, OUT.texProj = mul(projTex, IN.position); should have been OUT.texProj = mul(IN.position, projTex); Hey everyone, I'm having a bit of a problem with planar reflection in a HLSL shader. I'm not exactly sure what is... 
Posted July 22, 2006 9:05:48 PM
[Resolved]MD5 file format (Doom3/Quake4) loading problem, skewed meshes Resolved, don't negate the W of a Quaternion when inverting. Hey everyone, I've got a problem with my MD5 loader. I'm guessing its something wrong with my joint orientation. Public Sub SetupVertexArrays(ByVal Skel As clsMD5Skeleton... 
Posted June 24, 2006 12:54:07 AM
[Resolved]Running an OpenGL app creates files named ilog*.txt Whenever I run an OpenGL app, files named ilog*.txt appear in the same folder as the exe, which contain nothing. Does anyone know why this happens? [Edited by - CadeF on June 9, 2006 4:15:32 AM] 
Posted June 8, 2006 9:32:22 PM
[Resolved][MDX]Small problem, updating vertexbuffer of a mesh created by Mesh.Sphere Hey everyone, I've got one small problem with the D3DX mesh class. I usually use my own mesh formats, but for the occlusion culling of lights, I am using meshes. My code is Public CullMesh As Direct3D.Mesh CullMesh = Mesh.Sphere(... 
Posted May 30, 2006 1:25:48 AM
Creating a deformed sphere Hey everyone, In my engine, the final check (after octree and frustum) if a point light is visible, is to occlusion query it's light mesh (Sphere with the radius of the point light). But if it has a large radius, and is in a corridoor, the actual... 
Posted May 21, 2006 1:38:24 AM
VS 2005 now only accepts alphanumeric keyboard input Hey, I have a problem with VS 2005. I have a Logitech keyboard, US layout language setting in Windows. In VS 2005, one day it just decides to only accept input from the "left" side of my keyboard. The backspace key and everything on th... 
Posted April 12, 2006 7:23:50 PM
Using octrees for rendering - Removing non-visible cubes Hey everyone, In my engine, currently I use octrees for rendering the scene. My current method is to traverse the tree and render the node if it a) is visible and b) has no children I define a node as visible if it passes either test a) The... 
Posted May 14, 2006 1:52:47 AM
Simulating rigid bodies floating in fluid, 2d Hey everyone, I was thinking of setting up "fluid volumes" in my 2d sidescrolling engine (A region defined as containing fluid). I was wondering, given a rigid body in a fluid volume, distance from surface, pressure and density at that point, how... 
Posted May 12, 2006 7:34:58 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Yet another parallax mapping demo Your demo looks nice. Since OpenGL and DirectX do not have the same "tangent space", I think your bump maps were designed for OpenGL matrices. Try reversing the direction of your tangent and/or binormals. 
Posted December 4, 2006 5:40:25 AM
[MDX]AgrDX3DE Game engine Deferred shading is okay, I guess, nothing really special about it to me. 
Posted December 1, 2006 6:44:09 PM
[MDX]AgrDX3DE Game engine For stained shadow mapping, I render depth to the alpha channel and modulatve alpha translucent surfaces to the RGB channels. If the card doesnt support floating point textures, I use 2 RTs instead. 
Posted December 1, 2006 8:26:52 AM
[MDX]AgrDX3DE Game engine Thanks for your complements, guys :) All of the maps I've made in the engine (the screenshots) run at atleast 30 fps on a Radeon 9800 Pro, I haven't added any specific shader model 3.0 code except for the GPGPU processor which has an alternat... 
Posted November 30, 2006 11:10:54 PM
[MDX]AgrDX3DE Game engine Your comments are much appreciated, guys :) For volumetric lighting and forward rendering, I render geometry either intersecting the light or behind the light, and in a shader, calculate how much of the spherical volume is intersected by a ray fro... 
Posted November 26, 2006 4:10:16 PM
Forward vs. Deferred Rendering Schrompf, in my engine, I write out the ambient term as a pass, before doing the lighting passes. I don't think deferred shading is only good for non-shadow casting lights, since I use it both with lights that cast and do not cast shadows, th... 
Posted November 26, 2006 8:58:53 AM
[MDX]AgrDX3DE Game engine Thanks for your comments, these screenshots have been taking by me during the course of development and so there were a few bugs that slipped by me in the earlier screenshots. The Doom 3 marine and physics screenshots show the improved shadowing syst... 
Posted November 26, 2006 8:42:15 AM
Strange HLSL variable issue Look at the output which the fxc compiler generates, before and after changing that line of code, and see if there's a difference. If your not using the fxc directly, but creating the shader in your app through an Effect, use D3DXDisassembleEffect... 
Posted November 25, 2006 10:29:30 PM
What is the Filter at D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx for? The SamplerState specifies how the texture is filtered when it renders. The parameter to D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx specifies how the texture is filtered after it is created but before it is returned, but this only happens if the texture is res... 
Posted November 25, 2006 8:58:56 PM
[MDX]AgrDX3DE Game engine The non-transparent surfaces, are just parallax mapping with normal mapping. The surfaces sample the shadow map and the stained shadow map. Since transparent surfaces are done after the non-transparent geometry has been rendered, they can sample the... 
Posted November 25, 2006 8:23:12 PM
View All Replies Made By This User