Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know radioteeth...  
Full Name Charles Van Noland
Nickname radioteeth 
State/Province, Country CA   United States
GD Gathering City Auburn, CA, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.van-noland.com 
ICQ ID 120943431 
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Lead Technical Director 
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 920  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 10/19/2005 6:23:05 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
SDL load Mp3 from memory. SDL_Mixer supports mp3s, if they are loaded from the harddrive. I have an asset management system that loads graphics, sounds, etc. from a compressed archive file but SDL_Mixer doesn't seem to support loading an mp3 from memory the way it supports... 
Posted December 26, 2010 6:39:37 PM
I love browser bars!!!!!1111111 Yea, actually, I think it's sad when software developers release their products with an 'I agree to terms-of-use and wish to install XXXXX browser bar'. I don't use any browser bars, never have and never will, thanks for appreciating that fact... 
Posted December 5, 2010 1:24:52 AM
GetWindowRect on a dialog control ? Hi there, I'm trying to find a way to get the RECT coordinates of a control on a dialog so I can draw a solid color rectangle in its place. I'm trying to create a choose-color button that is simply a rectangle set in my dialog, placed in... 
Posted June 30, 2010 1:06:09 PM
Drawing a grid to desktop w/ GDI Hello, I am trying to figure a relatively quick way to draw a grid overlaying the entire desktop in Windows. It's a rather coarse grid of five horizontal lines and five vertical lines, spanning the width and height of the screen. Using MoveToEx an... 
Posted June 11, 2010 8:31:19 PM
modifying screen pixels win32 I know I can use GetPixel and SetPixel to do some blending effects on some screen pixels in windows, but it's SLOW. Is there a faster way I can perhaps read a block of pixels into memory, do the work in memory, and then write that block back... 
Posted June 2, 2010 11:34:39 AM
Revolude Hey all, this is Revolude, a project a friend and I have been working on for a bit. These shots are just showing what our current engine looks like, which we are stopping development on so we can step back and re-evaluate where we are... 
Posted April 28, 2010 3:30:37 PM
Malloc returns unindexable memory ???? I'm having a problem that seems to be highly unusual. I malloc a piece of memory, then try to index into it and save a pointer to that, but when I try to access a member of that structure my program crashes.. Here's a screenshot that sho... 
Posted March 3, 2010 4:31:28 PM
Retrieving Offset to a Member of a Struct.. Hey there. I'm trying to write a scripting engine and I seem to have all the crazies worked out except for determining the offset to a member of a struct.. eg: struct s_ent { float origin[3], velocity[3]; float rgb[3]; int mo... 
Posted December 27, 2009 10:46:03 PM
Funky srand behaviors.. I am generating my worlds using rand() and it seems to work fine, and consistently.. but for some reason I get weird discrepancies between client/server that makes me think that using srand on a seed value that is shared by the server isn't w... 
Posted December 11, 2009 2:49:26 PM
Roundtrip movement commands, and lag. I am working on a project, and everything is nice as can be, netcode works without being all glitchy, rendering is coming along. etc.. but I'm still having a hard time figuring a way to properly deal with the delay between a player's in... 
Posted December 10, 2009 1:28:15 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Procedural game idea creation Hah, interesting. I'd like to see an inverted mode where I can take my game idea description and turn it into a number. 
Posted January 2, 2011 8:33:27 PM
DevIL mipmap generation In your situation may I suggest that if you're unarguably comfortable using the DevIL perhaps resort to writing your own downsampling and mipmap generation code? Just my two cents :) 
Posted December 20, 2010 7:24:49 AM
Mobile app with a back-end server? I'm in the same boat 
Posted November 29, 2010 1:37:24 AM
Stumped by simple 2D tile map collision Why not just make sure that when you're checking for collision against a side of a tile make sure there isn't one next to it on that side? 
Posted November 29, 2010 1:33:12 AM
Unsimple (?) transparency question. It's blending like that because that's what that blendfunc is supposed to do. If you want alpha blending you want to use text rendering like this http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/lessons/lesson.asp?lesson=17 and make a font texture that ha... 
Posted November 28, 2010 6:19:30 PM
Simple (?) transparency question. I agree with dpadam, but you should be able to use standard alpha blending, which leaves me with the funny feeling that you're drawing your alpha before you're drawing what's behind it, and not the other way around. If you draw a window close... 
Posted November 28, 2010 12:37:54 AM
Unsimple (?) transparency question. A) Enable blending before you draw your text and disable it before drawing your cube, otherwise both will be blended if you only enable it from your Init(), or neither will blend if you never enable it at all. B) Your text-rendering code... 
Posted November 28, 2010 12:27:35 AM
Strange GLSL bug on some ATI cards Well, the {} brackets on the end of that line tell the compiler that nothing should happen regardless of whether or not the if statement is true. Something should be put in those brackets, or the line should be removed altogether, because as... 
Posted November 26, 2010 4:04:41 AM
3d Cylinder Multiple Textures/Images Well, the first option is drawing multiple cylinders next to eachother, the second option is re-drawing the same cylinder but moving the texture to the right for each part and offseting the texture coordinates to simulate the cylinder rotating for... 
Posted November 22, 2010 2:26:18 PM
RTS game Ideas People make a career out of sharing their opinions. They are called designers and consultants. What I think would be a great RTS game is something without a fixed set of unit types. Units should be made of components based on whatever tec... 
Posted November 21, 2010 12:36:06 PM
View All Replies Made By This User