Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Jason Z...  GDNet+
Full Name Jason Zink
Nickname Jason Z 
State/Province, Country MI   United States
GD Gathering City Warren, MI, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1589  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 2/4/2004 11:22:15 PM
GDNet+ Journal http://members.gamedev.net/JasonZ/journal/
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
A Closer Look At Parallax Occlusion Mapping
Dual Paraboloid Mapping in the Vertex Shader
Fast Silhouettes
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
[D3D11] Append Buffers and Copy Structure Count I have been building up a particle system using append and consume buffers where all of the particles are read out of a consume buffer, they get updated, and then appended to the output buffer. This is currently using a fixed number of particles for... 
Posted December 23, 2010 3:02:34 AM
[D3D11] Append / Consume Buffers I'm beginning to dabble in the Append / Consume buffers in Direct 3D 11, and am not quite sure how exactly they work... The docs mention that the Append buffer has an 'append' method to add elements to the buffer, and the Consume buffer has a 'consu... 
Posted November 19, 2010 2:51:37 PM
Windows Kinect Driver? I have seen the open source Linux drivers for the Kinect cameras, but haven't seen any Windows based open drivers yet. Am I missing something, or have they not sprung up yet? I don't have a Kinect yet, but would still like to take a look at the dri... 
Posted November 28, 2010 1:52:56 PM
[D3D11] Geometry Shader Input Vertex Ordering I am trying to figure out what order the vertices passed into a geometry shader are supplied in... I haven't been able to find it in the docs, and it seems that geometry shaders are as popular with the tutorial writers... Does anyone know of a plac... 
Posted November 1, 2010 6:26:39 AM
[D3D11] Compute Shader Memory Barriers In the past, I have used GroupMemoryBarrierWithGroupSync to synchronize all of the threads in a group after filling the group shared memory with a bunch of texture data loaded by the individual threads. After that call, I was assured that the writin... 
Posted August 29, 2010 3:20:50 PM
[D3D11] Multithreaded Command Lists Lately I have been working on my multithreading implementation for Hieroglyph 3. It is going quite well, and I have the engine automatically handling multithreading at the "view" level - i.e. one command list is generated for each complete... 
Posted August 14, 2010 8:45:46 AM
Hieroglyph 3 Rendering Engine For those who are interested, I've recently created an open source project out of my Direct3D 11 renderer named 'Hieroglyph 3'. You can find the project page here. The project is still in its early stages, but the renderer interfaces are fairly... 
Posted February 15, 2010 9:02:09 PM
[SOLVED]Never-Ending Message Pump I was recently reading over one of the Evil Steve tutorials, and realized that I wasn't clearing out the windows message queue every time around (as he suggests). However, once I converted my code from this: while( bLoop ) { if... 
Posted February 3, 2010 10:14:15 PM
D3D11, DXGI, and Multisampling... I've been using D3D11 for quite some time now, and have just started trying to enable multisampled rendering. I haven't found much information in the documentation that really clarifies exactly how you are supposed to specify and/or use a multisampl... 
Posted January 28, 2010 10:46:08 PM
[DX10/DX11] Texture Load vs. SampleGrad Lately I have been doing quite a bit of work with compute shaders on DX11, running on my Geforce 8600M. With DX10 level hardware and some updated drivers, I can run in real time and test out my algorithms without much trouble. During some... 
Posted September 3, 2009 6:41:06 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
D3D11 and font / text MJP (Matt Pettineo) added a text rendering system to my engine: Hieroglyph 3. You should be able to grab the relevant classes and borg them into your own code. Also, the engine is available under the MIT license, so you can take a look around ins... 
Posted January 4, 2011 5:51:19 PM
MultiScreen Rendering - Perspective Issues If you are using D3D 10/11 then you can use the SV_ViewportArrayIndex to send geometry to multiple viewports if you need to. However, I would just render to a single offscreen buffer then copy the relevant portion to each screen area. I haven't use... 
Posted January 3, 2011 6:13:26 AM
Yes - the triangulation / tesselation problem once again... I don't know what formal paper you should read, but I would suggest starting with a regularly spaced grid of vertex locations. Then generate a set of triangles based on the closeness of the vertices to one another. Then iterate on th... 
Posted January 1, 2011 1:20:51 PM
Using Back Buffer as Shader Resource View Quote:Original post by Erik Rufelt As far as I know, you can't sample a resource that is currently bound as a render target. You need to draw to a separate render target to sample what you have already drawn. This. You can't read from a resource t... 
Posted January 1, 2011 1:15:15 PM
Using Back Buffer as Shader Resource View Are you trying to sample it after you have already presented the contents of the frame to the window? If so, then you are actually sampling the other texture resource that the swap chain supplies for double buffering. Are you also getting any de... 
Posted January 1, 2011 4:31:08 AM
MultiScreen Rendering - Perspective Issues If the screens are all coplanar in their positions, then a single render target can be used to represent the contents of all three monitors. It is only after changing the orientation that you would need to create separate rendering passes for e... 
Posted December 31, 2010 4:49:53 AM
[DX11] Handling Multiple ResourceViews with Multislotted Resources I'm not sure if the runtime will let you do that or not. At the very least, I would expect a warning when you actually execute the draw call that would use the texture. When you create an SRV you specify the view dimension, which has distinct ent... 
Posted December 31, 2010 4:07:11 AM
[DX11] Handling Multiple ResourceViews with Multislotted Resources The difference between Texture2DArray and Texture2D[n] is the the Texture2DArray is a single resource with multiple subresources referred to as texture slices. A Texture2D[n] is just an array of individual, independent resources. The other thing... 
Posted December 30, 2010 5:00:46 PM
GPGPU Algo Performance Characteristics I don't recall seeing such a thread, but there isn't a definitive answer to the question since it depends on how a particular GPU operates. We have a chapter on image processing in our forthcoming D3D11 book that considers a few different... 
Posted December 29, 2010 3:31:01 AM
Using graphics technology to create unique styles more I found your blog entry quite interesting. However, I think you are asking a somewhat obvious question - the reason that people aren't trying these styles out is that they aren't really readily available. It is kind of like saying "why didn't... 
Posted December 26, 2010 1:24:54 PM
View All Replies Made By This User