Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know kevglass...  
Full Name  
Nickname kevglass 
State/Province, Country Bristol   United Kingdom
GD Gathering City Bristol, Bristol, United Kingdom
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.kevinglass.com 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1015  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 10/17/2005 7:48:23 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Typhoon - Action Game ~ Typhoon ~ Typhoon is a fast paced shooting game based around a board that must be defended. . I'm developing it for the OMGCup competition as a tribute to the original arcade classic Tempest. So far development time has been approximately 35 h... 
Posted November 1, 2005 12:58:44 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Graphics and Threads I would have thought that would be pretty dependent on hardware - and I'd expect rendering would still end up being your bottleneck unless you're doring some seriously heavy procesing in update(). Even so, I've never run 1000's of sprites, b... 
Posted February 28, 2006 3:33:05 PM
Graphics and Threads I'd absolutely only take one delta reading otherwise you might update some entities by X seconds and some entities by Y seconds in a single game loop - that could lead to some really wierd and hard to debug problems. Personally I have an... 
Posted February 28, 2006 3:12:10 PM
Graphics and Threads Nope, just measure the delta between frames, update based on that. I do use another thread for networking, but as others have pointed out this wouldn't work if it were truely seperate from the rendering loop. In my case, I have the other thread... 
Posted February 28, 2006 2:16:17 PM
Graphics and Threads Time based movement isn't exactly hard to implement and gives you more flexibility later on. I've used it quite happily for ages. Kev 
Posted February 28, 2006 1:27:24 PM
Indexed color images You need to be looking at http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/awt/image/IndexColorModel.html and of course BufferedImage. Kev 
Posted December 23, 2005 9:07:37 AM
Red: Space Trucker Nice particles and stunning backdrops! Nice work! Kev 
Posted November 10, 2005 3:39:51 AM
Typhoon - Action Game Fair enough, good points well made. The game infact used to be entitled Tempest and did reference Tempest on the website - I'm not trying to take any credit away from them - however, I was advised (infact through this very site) that having refe... 
Posted November 1, 2005 12:18:35 PM
Typhoon - Action Game Trying to shy away from its heritige at the moment :) Although it has alot in common with a great arcade game its not actually the same in many respects (not as good some might say ;)) Kev 
Posted November 1, 2005 10:05:22 AM
View All Replies Made By This User