Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Viik...  
Full Name Viktor Kuropyatnik
Nickname Viik 
State/Province, Country Kyyivska Oblast   Ukraine
GD Gathering City Kiev, Kyyivska Oblast, Ukraine
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1070  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 5/1/2006 7:06:28 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Matrix from direction and position I need to construct motion matrix of an object knowing only direction where it looks at and position. Right now I'm using this routine: float3 forward = normalize(light_dir); float3 up = float3(0,1,0); float3 v_right = normalize(cross(up, f... 
Posted November 15, 2010 11:29:21 AM
Asteroid by VRM team This is our entry to Quest3D Awards 2010. We used PSSM for sun shadows and light pre-pass for point and area lights. Tonemapping is done using "filmic" tonemapper with separate settings for "light shade" (screen that covers helmet to prevent oveb... 
Posted October 27, 2010 5:36:26 PM
RE: Histogram computation on HDR rendering Original discussion here In ShaderX 6 article of Franceso Carucci "HDR Meets Black & White 2", author mentioned absolute_max_luminance and gave brief explanation of where to get it's numerical value. As a previous topic starter, I was confused to... 
Posted October 15, 2010 12:51:58 AM
Turn cubemap into paraboloid For one particluar project I want to precalculate shadow maps. There will be a lot of light sources, most of them will be a hemisperical\spot lights. So for shadow maps I need to use cubemaps or paraboloids. Regardles of mapping I'm planning to... 
Posted July 13, 2010 1:26:08 PM
Paraboloid mapping in view space I can't get paraboloid mapping to start working in view space. It works as it should if both paraboloid TranslationRotation matrix and vertices positions in World space but not when I convert both into View space. Code is basically similar to Jaso... 
Posted May 4, 2010 3:55:57 PM
Fast way to construct TranslationRotation matrix in shader What I'm dealing with right now is a need to construct arbitrary TranslationRotation matrix in a shader during real time. Basically, I have a lot of virtual lights, each of them has a position and direction, these should be used to create virtual l... 
Posted May 1, 2010 9:15:16 AM
warn light in view space [SOLVED] Kind of a stupid bug, my warn light works in world space, but dosn't work properly in view space. It's directional part keeps following camera. float3 light_pos = mul(float4(0,10,0,1), viewMatrix); float3 light_dir = mul(float4(1,0,0,1), viewMa... 
Posted April 16, 2010 7:16:38 AM
Non-interleaved Deferred Shading of Interleaved Sample "Non-interleaved Deferred Shading of Interleaved Sample Patterns" This technique is widely used in some of the realtime GI implementations. Numerous papers are refering to it when it comes to optimization of calculating influence of VPL's on... 
Posted April 13, 2010 12:19:15 PM
Any stable importance sampling for VPLs ? I'm experimenting with real-time GI algorithms right now. Ones that I'm trying are based on reflective shadow maps as a source for generating VPL. The main issue right now is to obtaine a coherent solution for VPL's position\flux. I would re... 
Posted April 11, 2010 9:01:57 AM
limitations of hardware shadow maps Just today found out that hardware shadow maps dosn't work with dynamic branching. Looks like they don't work with deferred shadows as well. I can avoid dynamic branching but keeping shadows deferred is must have for me, is there are any way to ma... 
Posted October 22, 2009 8:45:34 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Matrix from direction and position Thanks guys! Dynamically setting "up-vector" solves the issue. 
Posted November 16, 2010 7:28:48 AM
Realistic water Beautifull shading. It looks like they are not flat surfaces anymore and kind of like lit by different lights or something like that )) Last link gives 404 error. 
Posted November 2, 2010 6:49:33 PM
Realistic water Hi Alexander, It looks already good but if you want you can add several things. 1) High frequency ambient waves, reference where they look really sweet: http://forum.quest3d.com/index.php?topic=68723.0 2) Light scatering for waves, so basic... 
Posted November 2, 2010 5:34:37 PM
Point Sprite Scaling ... just make a linear interpolation of needed PSIZE by the distance. something like float min_size = 8;// minimal size of point to draw float max_size = 128;//maximum size of point to draw float max_distance = 512;//if point is furter than... 
Posted November 2, 2010 5:14:28 PM
Point Sprite Scaling I do it like that. 1) in vertex shader, calculate the size of your point and pass into pixel shader as: struct in_ps { float4 clip_pos : POSITION; float size : PSIZE;} 2) do all ohter stuff in pixel shader such as texturing and etc. ... 
Posted November 2, 2010 5:05:25 PM
Asteroid by VRM team Thank you Ali! 
Posted October 29, 2010 10:48:07 AM
Risk in strategy games: exploding barrels Quote:Original post by Acharis Can you name one game that used automated AI managing things that you personally liked? All Total War series for example, when you have over 30 towns. At some point it's not vital to precisely tell what and where... 
Posted October 28, 2010 9:07:31 AM
Asteroid by VRM team Thank you! Appreciate it. 
Posted October 28, 2010 7:21:59 AM
RE: Histogram computation on HDR rendering As I understood it's a basically a summed area table but with only one dimmension. So mentioned in paper S array is the array where each element consist of sum of all previous elements of original histohram. It kind of works now. I didn't... 
Posted October 16, 2010 5:11:10 PM
Crysis Screen-Space Ambient Occlusion (ShaderX^7 article) Don't forget that starcraft has a very specific camera setup - it's RTS not FPS, where you can see someones face in front of you and mountaines behind him. I've implemented ssao with a kernel that is adjusted by a distance, so you get a minimum and m... 
Posted July 13, 2010 8:03:10 PM
View All Replies Made By This User