Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Drilian...  GDNet+
Full Name Joshua Jersild
Nickname Drilian 
State/Province, Country WA   United States
GD Gathering City Bothell, WA, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.drilian.com 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1553  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 1/4/2000 1:03:27 AM
GDNet+ Journal http://members.gamedev.net/Drilian/journal/
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
[FILLED] Cover/Poster artist for space shoot-em-up game EDIT: the position has been filled. Thank you for your consideration! Team name: Deadly Red Cube Project name: Procyon Brief description: Procyon has been in development for about 2 years now, with about 6 months to go. It's a space s... 
Posted May 8, 2010 3:12:17 PM
Racing AI (with complications) Having read through some of the other racing AI threads on these forums, I've noticed that most of them involve creating an AI that follows a developer-specified optimal racing line. But my tracks are hideously loopy: My Journal, for Screensh... 
Posted October 13, 2005 5:03:41 PM
Help creating arcade racing simulator Okay, so despite my best efforts, I seem completely incapable of coding a simple driving simulation. It doesn't have to be super physically accurate, but it has to feel correct. I've read the Physics of Racing articles (which are, sadly, slightly o... 
Posted February 28, 2005 2:55:45 PM
Three-wheeled Vehicle Physics I'm having trouble with my vehicle physics, and I'm having an insanely hard time finding any resources that have proven useful (For instance, the "Physics of Racing" series is almost too in-depth, and try as I might I've been unable to take the ideas... 
Posted January 24, 2005 11:34:50 AM
Friction vs. Torque So I have a program where, ideally, I can roll a ball around by applying a torque around the axis. So I have two functions: EDIT: It should be noted that "^" is my cross-product operator. void AddForce(const CEVector3 &f, const CEVector3 &poin... 
Posted December 25, 2004 12:43:30 AM
Trouble Designing A Bezier Terrain Editor's Interface So I'm trying to make terrain out of cubic bezier patches, but I'm having trouble coming up with an easy-to-use interface for the editor (though the engine works just fine). So far, what I have basically allows me to select a patch and move indivi... 
Posted December 10, 2004 2:17:59 AM
Bezier/Ray intersection Is there a good, fast way to calculate the intersection between a cubic Bezier patch and a ray, without making the bezier into mesh and generating a quadtree of bounding boxes (with quads as leaves)? Google hasn't been my friend in this regard. The... 
Posted November 30, 2004 11:52:22 PM
Bezier Patch Modeling First, some background: I'm not an artist. Well, not a very good one anyway. I'm a programmer, mostly. I've written a "square" cubic bezier patch rendering engine for a game project (of course), but I hate the modeling interface I've come... 
Posted November 27, 2004 1:20:34 AM
Cracks between bezier surfaces of same LOD This has been bugging me to death for a while, and I'm afraid it's just a floating-point round-off error in the shader, but I figure I'll ask anyway. I'm getting small (usually 1 pixel) breaks between bezier surfaces that are being tesselated at t... 
Posted November 18, 2004 2:43:01 PM
Gigastudio I’ve heard some things about a program called Gigastudio. I’m thinking about getting it, but it’s a mite pricey, and there’s no real way to demo the program beforehand. Has anyone used it? What’s the interface like?... 
Posted May 26, 2004 11:17:28 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
The Daily GameDev.Net Definitely second the whole "why the <insert favorite expletive here> did they de-color the Xbox buttons?" thing. How am I supposed to tell my wife which button to hit in games now? "No, sweetie, hit the gray one. No, the other...NO THE... 
Posted August 31, 2010 10:20:56 PM
[FILLED] Cover/Poster artist for space shoot-em-up game Quote:Original post by qCring Yeah, that looks really nice! But I would suggest you to redesign some things, like the model of the player´s ship and maybe even the alien-ship models. Don´t get me wrong, but take a look at some spaceship models out... 
Posted May 10, 2010 10:27:31 PM
The Daily GameDev.net God, I would love to see Einhander updated. That was a fantastic game! I wish they would. 
Posted May 10, 2010 5:01:19 PM
GetTransform in D3D10 Direct3D 10 doesn't have a fixed-function pipeline, which is what those transforms were used for, so no, it doesn't have an API like that. Instead, you set your transforms as shader constants/effect parameters. Since you were the one that se... 
Posted March 30, 2010 3:30:09 AM
The Daily GameDev.net The clover music link is broken :( 
Posted March 4, 2010 2:23:22 PM
The Daily GameDev.Net Quote:Original post by f8k8 Is it just me that thinks the interface for the Windows 7 Phone looks hideous? I really don't like the plain blue squares for the home page (I know you can customise the colours, but I'm guessing they'll still be plain lo... 
Posted February 16, 2010 8:32:45 PM
Multisampling: What's really going on First, the shader (or FFP) runs once per pixel. Once this is done, this polygon has Color and Z/Stencil information. You are correct, this is calculated once. Then, for each multi-sample sample in the render target (i.e. four times... 
Posted February 12, 2010 2:30:32 AM
Matrix mul on CPU or GPU? (dx10) Also, something to keep in mind: With vertex shaders (and pixel shaders, too? I'm not sure), if you're using the D3DX FX framework (and maybe even if you're not, I'm a little fuzzier on this point), the compiler can (and does, by default, I... 
Posted January 9, 2010 4:57:39 AM
[C#] [XNA] Bizarre bug when using ResolveTexture2D The issue is actually really simple: when you render to the screen using your quad, you're rendering to a render target that has antialiasing (MSAA). Because of this, you're getting a border due to the dreaded half-texel offset issue that is general... 
Posted December 23, 2009 4:35:40 AM
[C++/DX9] Temp fonts for game Also, D3DXFont converts your TTF to a bitmap font internally, so you'd be: A. Saving a TTF processing step and B. Simplifying your game's distribution (By not needing to dink around with Add/RemoveFontResourceEx or distributing the .ttf, you'd j... 
Posted December 15, 2009 4:32:08 AM
View All Replies Made By This User