Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Kuro...  GDNet+
Full Name  
Nickname Kuro 
State/Province, Country IL   United States
GD Gathering City Chicago, IL, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Game programmer 
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1123  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 12/8/2005 5:33:26 PM
GDNet+ Journal http://members.gamedev.net/kuro/journal/
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Programmer / designer looking for a project Hi! I'm looking to join a team working on a game project. About me: I've worked in the game industry as a programmer for around 3 years now, and before that I've worked on many various projects by myself or with others on gamedev.n... 
Posted September 25, 2009 9:10:08 PM
Looking for good cross-platform engine I'm working on a commercial game which targets PC, 360, and PS3 and trying to figure out what technology we'll license. The approach I'm taking is to license a handful of technologies which are modular and lightweight, and can be easily mixed... 
Posted May 6, 2008 7:47:14 AM
How to enforce performance vs. quality I'm trying to get my game running smoothly on different machines, and running into a bit of a problem. ATI Catalyst control center has options where it lets you pick between "Performance" and "Quality". The problem is, if some player has thei... 
Posted April 10, 2008 10:49:45 AM
Streaming resources causing stuttering I'm trying to play streaming music in my game, but it's causing stuttering in the frame rate. I was wondering if anyone knows some good technique to deal with this. I tried reducing the buffer size from 512k to 64k, but it still stutters. Part of... 
Posted April 10, 2008 10:16:00 AM
Clipping question I have a progress bar in my game which is implemented as a 3D object. I need some way to clip the portion of the object that is rendered based on the current progress value. What would be a good way to do this? I have heard of "user clip plan... 
Posted April 3, 2008 11:45:20 AM
How to be a productive programmer I'm interested in finding ways to become more productive. Here are a few things I've learned- -Understand the tools and languages that you use -Make tools to automate stupid tasks- most of the time, the investment will pay off. Even if it doesn't... 
Posted February 28, 2008 10:38:29 AM
Cheap antialiasing I've been wondering about how to add antialiasing to my game, but already my game's frame rate is pretty bad on low end computers (P3/Geforce3 or so) I haven't ever used antialiasing before, but I think the standard antialiasing in DirectX wo... 
Posted February 23, 2008 1:21:41 PM
Need some book recommendations I missed out on a lot of CS classes in college since I had to fulfill other requirements for my CompE degree. I kind of regret having this big gap in my knowledge so I'm looking for some good books to read. Here are the courses I missed out &... 
Posted February 24, 2008 9:32:14 AM
Passing time value into a shader I have a shader which uses a time value for a sin() calculation to create a pulsing effect. The time value is measured as the # of seconds since the program started and is passed in as a float to the shader. The problem is that after a certain num... 
Posted February 20, 2008 1:25:18 AM
Explosion shockwave effect I am thinking of putting a shockwave effect in my game similar to the one in Facewound (you can see in the video below, it is used a lot throughout the video but especially around 0:18): http://youtube.com/watch?v=FlxJxo5A5xk Basically the i... 
Posted February 20, 2008 12:35:41 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Calculating the Angle between 2 Points in a 2D System Yeah, I think your code is fine. The angle is in radians, so if you multiply by 180/PI, that comes out to 58 degrees or so, which seems about right. Kuro 
Posted October 5, 2009 8:03:30 AM
Compiler can't find header unless absolute path? In VS2008, try doing this: Go to Tools->Options->Projects and Solutions->VC++ Directories Then under "Show directories for:", select "Include files" Then, add to the list: C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2008)\Include ... 
Posted October 4, 2009 10:30:20 PM
pyglet: Drawing terrain (tiles) in a 2D game 5000? Not sure if that's a typo, but if you're drawing that many tiles, is it possible some of those are offscreen, and so you could just skip updating the position of those ones? Another possibility is maybe you could work at a lower level w... 
Posted September 29, 2009 6:51:09 PM
After Beginning C++ Through Game Programming? I'd recommend using a 2d library like SDL or IndieLib, and just try making a very simple game. Most of those sorts of libraries have some kind of tutorials, or even if there's no step by step tutorial, you can figure out a lot just by reading the doc... 
Posted September 29, 2009 3:37:15 PM
pyglet: Drawing terrain (tiles) in a 2D game Could you create one batch, add everything to it, but then call set_position() on all the sprites every frame instead of recreating the batch to change the positions? Kuro 
Posted September 29, 2009 3:29:56 PM
Internships for the business side of Game Development My company has had internships for producers so they definitely exist, although not for marketing or PR (we are a small development company). Kuro 
Posted September 28, 2009 10:56:42 AM
How to enforce performance vs. quality Thanks for the information guys! 
Posted April 10, 2008 2:43:33 PM
Streaming resources causing stuttering Cool, I'll look into reducing the amount loaded each frame, maybe it will do the trick. As for threading, hmm maybe it could work if it is done asynchronously. I was looking at reading from the hard drive as a blocking operation but I think there... 
Posted April 10, 2008 12:01:57 PM
Slouched programmer needing advice on resume You have 2 years left to graduate, and your insurance runs out in 2 years right? So why are you looking for a job right now? You are intending to finish your degree, right? Why don't you write a rough draft of your resume and post it here for cri... 
Posted March 2, 2008 9:45:26 AM
Cheap antialiasing Wow, so I've been avoiding AA all this time for nothing huh! Sweet, thanks guys 
Posted February 23, 2008 4:57:40 PM
View All Replies Made By This User