Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Ouranos...  
Full Name Chris Z
Nickname Ouranos 
State/Province, Country WA   United States
GD Gathering City Bothell, WA, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.roachpuppy.com 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title SDET, Direct3D 
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1015  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 2/11/2002 3:31:58 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Crystalink Crystalink is a game I just submitted to the Windows Phone Marketplace. I am currently porting it to iPhone, iPad, and most likely Android as well. It was made with my custom XNA engine which I modified to target the phone (other platforms are Xbox... 
Posted January 1, 2011 3:15:45 AM
Monkey Freak Monkey Freak was made for the AGBIC compo on TIGSource. The goal of the competition was to turn a fake game cart cover into a real game, of which most of the cover art came from the Famicom exhibition in Japan. The point of the game is to sa... 
Posted August 10, 2010 12:31:12 AM
Robots Always Obey Some screenshots from a game I'm working on, Robots Always Obey. From my IGF entry page: "Deep within several levels of security in a hidden facility lies a datacenter filled with hundreds of technological secrets. The data is cut off from... 
Posted November 5, 2009 11:40:31 AM
Playing With Humans What would an alien race do upon arriving on our planet? Hold sporting events involving death and destruction of course! Up to four can compete in a contest to wreak the most havoc in three different events: Beating up an unwilling human parti... 
Posted March 7, 2010 9:19:36 PM
Pinky and the Cave Pinky and the Cave is an arena shooter where you swing and climb while fighting enemies. Powerups will appear to help you along the way. Download the game at the Roach Puppy Games site. Swing/Climb: WASD or Left analog Fire: Mouse or Right an... 
Posted May 19, 2009 12:36:35 AM
Tentacle Uprising Tentacle Uprising was my entry for the TIGSource Cockpit Competition. The gameplay is mainly space combatish but you can collect debris floating around with a tractor beam and plant towers to help you take down the enemy ships. The cel shading ef... 
Posted April 23, 2009 2:59:40 PM
D3DXCreateSphere fails Hey peoples, Whenever I call D3DXCreateSphere (or any of the other shape drawing functions) it always fails. I checked for the error codes it's supposed to return but it's none of those. I realize that I can do all of the sphere creation code my... 
Posted March 7, 2003 4:21:15 PM
Models with multiple meshes What’s the best way to implement such a model? For example, I have a ship that has guns that can change as you collect powerups. I want to be able to have the guns as seperate meshes that can be placed on the same position on the sh... 
Posted January 28, 2003 9:28:56 PM
Invalid Surface, please help Hey everyone, I’m trying to write a sprite class to make my life easier. The problem is that the code crashes when it tries to blit. I used the error codes to narrow it down to this, which returns DDERR_INVALIDOBJECT. I’m guessing t... 
Posted March 1, 2002 12:11:07 AM
Invalid Surface, HELP! Hey everyone, I already posted this in the DirectX forum, but I want more feedback I’m trying to write a sprite class to make my life easier. The problem is that the code crashes when it tries to blit. I used the error codes to narrow it do... 
Posted March 1, 2002 8:50:59 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Robots Always Obey Sure, I can explain it. Each robot has the following properties: One or more functions Each function has one or more instructions Each instruction can be set to a movement or a special ability depending on the robot type (not in the g... 
Posted November 6, 2009 6:11:50 PM
Robots Always Obey Thanks for all the feedback so far everyone. Quote:Original post by Nikko_Bertoa Good work! What language/engine/tools did you use? I've been using an engine I've been developing over the period of recent games written in C# and XNA. I hop... 
Posted November 6, 2009 3:41:34 PM
Robots Always Obey Hmm? The gameplay is nothing like that game... is it because there are walls, tiles and robots? Not that I mind it being compared to other games, I just expected something more like Lightbot being mentioned :) 
Posted November 5, 2009 8:24:21 PM
How to do this collision response? You pretty much described sliding planes. After calculating this plane (its normal is the vector between the point of contact and object center) and projecting your original destination onto it, you can calculate a new velocity vector to pass t... 
Posted September 20, 2009 2:16:52 PM
Pinky and the Cave Quote:Original post by animator I couldn't get it to work - but then I am using Window 7 so no surprise there! But I am more interested in what screen recording software you used? I am looking for a good screen recording software myself. I develo... 
Posted May 24, 2009 4:14:51 PM
Drawing 2D tiled map of different textures Choice #1 could work for you, but it's more difficult to maintain and add on to. It's also not very cache friendly depending on the size of the final texture and how many other textures your sampling from. I would do a pre-process as pa... 
Posted February 18, 2009 3:04:26 AM
Problem trying to set basic camera angle You can still use the D3DX function to build your view matrix, just rotate the view direction vector before you pass it in rather than rotate the entire matrix. 
Posted March 22, 2007 5:17:26 AM
Rotating camera The link provided is just a blank page in your blog... ...A camera is essentially a view matrix and it sounds like you want to rotate the view direction (a vector in this matrix) around the Y-axis when a user hits a direction. You would also have... 
Posted March 22, 2007 5:04:26 AM
NVidia Drivers don't like DX??? Make sure the nVidia driver is signed, since sometimes they like to release non-logo drivers with better performance but are not necessarily D3D-conformant. They usually will say so on the download screen, Windows will also complained if it's u... 
Posted February 21, 2006 9:29:52 PM
Xbox 360 partially backwards compatible this got debunked officially by MS right away, theyre not going to recompile and sell the games in any form. its fully backward comp. and you need the harddrive to run old games because they assume the hd is there and use it to cache levels and s... 
Posted May 24, 2005 1:31:47 AM
View All Replies Made By This User