Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Mr Awesome...  
Full Name  
Nickname Mr Awesome 
State/Province, Country IL   United States
GD Gathering City Spring Valley, IL, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1004  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 1/24/2006 8:23:41 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Window Positioning and Sizing (SDL) In SDL, is there a way to determine the position of the window at initialization? Also, is there a way to have a window intialized as a maximized window while still disallowing resizing? Thanks. 
Posted February 14, 2006 12:16:09 AM
Particle Collisions with COR I'm using the coefficient of restitution to determine the velocity of a particle after it collides with a static plane (of infinite mass). This works fine when the acceleration is zero, or when the plane is perpendicular to the particle's motion. H... 
Posted April 1, 2007 8:15:20 PM
Hiding function template declaration (C++) In a header file, I have declared a few function templates that aid the primary function templates in the header. I would like to prevent other files from using these utility functions, as they do not belong in the public interface. Because functio... 
Posted March 28, 2007 11:09:02 PM
4d rotation of a cube I am experimenting with rotations in 4d, and I am currently rotating a simple 3d cube in 4d. When I rotate on the ZW plane, the cube rotates exactly how I would expect it to. However, if I rotate around the XW plane, the cube seems to flatten... 
Posted March 10, 2007 9:59:46 PM
Problem with HLA in Ubuntu 6.06 I tried downloading the latest HLA for Linux, version 1.86, but instead of coming with an hla executable, it came with a redundant tar archive named hla. So, I downloaded the previous release, version 1.81, but when I run hla, it invokes neither as n... 
Posted January 28, 2007 7:41:58 PM
Strange Linker Error When I try to build the following code from a fresh Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition project, I get the following linker error: // Code: #include <iostream> #include <fstream> #include <string> int main() {... 
Posted January 8, 2007 10:11:17 PM
Boost.Python I have just built Boost.Python using vc8 and the project provided with the boost distribution. However, I'm now trying to compile the tutorial example, but I can't seem to do it. The tutorial was made for vc7.1, so that could be the problem. When... 
Posted January 4, 2007 1:41:03 AM
Finding the Quaternion Betwee Two Vectors I have two 3d vectors, and I would like to find the quaternion such that v0 * q yields v1. I tried taking the cross product and the inverse cosine of the dot product and constructing a quaternion based on the axis and angle of the rotation, but... 
Posted December 21, 2006 8:10:02 PM
DirectX and MinGW I'm trying to build a library that uses dinput with mingw. Mingw comes with the dinput libs, but it does not come with dinput.h. I found a few things around the net that have dinput.h in them, but none of them define IDirectInputDevice8, which is w... 
Posted June 12, 2006 3:40:28 PM
C++ Program Crashing on Exit (Windows XP) Right before my program exits, it crashes and windows gives me a message saying it encountered an error, asking me if I want to send an error report to Microsoft. Does anyone know of common reasons why this would happen? 
Posted May 21, 2006 1:59:48 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Particle Collisions with COR Thanks a lot oliii for clearing all that up, I completely understand the COR now. [smile] 
Posted April 3, 2007 1:36:39 PM
Particle Collisions with COR Understood, thanks for the explanation oliii. I have only one concern left, which is collisions sans any outside forces like gravity. With a COR of 0, a particle colliding with a slope (with 0 acceleration) should "stick" to the slope, no... 
Posted April 2, 2007 1:02:04 PM
Particle Collisions with COR Thanks for the reply. However, I'm not quite sure how I would use these equations in my own simulation. Currently, I am using Verlet integration, and when a collision happens, I move the particle's position back to the surface of the plane, then re... 
Posted April 2, 2007 11:16:50 AM
4d rotation of a cube Thanks a lot Vorpy. I checked out that link to see what the rotations should be looking like from that perspective, and it turns out that it was a bug in my code. I had used OpenGL's translate function, which translated the cube -5 on the z-ax... 
Posted March 14, 2007 8:08:43 PM
4d rotation of a cube That is exactly what I am doing. From what you have said, the matrices appear to be correct (if the sines are reversed that's no big deal). I have seen other tesseract rotations in 4d, and I think the type of rotation I am getting is incorrect. Ho... 
Posted March 12, 2007 11:08:29 PM
4d rotation of a cube I'm not familiar with gimbal lock in 4d, but I don't think it would happen with just a single isolated rotation. Can anyone with knowledge of 4d rotations verify that my matrices are correct? 
Posted March 11, 2007 9:51:19 PM
4d rotation of a cube I understand what you mean; the cube should seem to flatten into a square as it rotates through the 4th dimension. However, the cube does not flatten, expand, and turn itself inside out like I would expect. Instead, it just stays the same width (wh... 
Posted March 11, 2007 1:24:55 AM
What does -1.#IND mean? You should probably check that your argument to acos is in the interval [-1, 1]. Even a small amount outside this range will cause a NaN. 
Posted January 28, 2007 8:16:31 PM
What does -1.#IND mean? This means that the variable is not a number (NaN). This could be caused by using an unitialized variable or possibly dividing by zero. 
Posted January 28, 2007 7:59:08 PM
Strange Linker Error I don't believe there's anything for which this method is the only available option, but it can be useful if you use a lot of small functions for std algorithms that you don't want polluting the global namespace. Since std algorithms require se... 
Posted January 9, 2007 8:04:41 PM
View All Replies Made By This User