Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know captain_crunch...  
Full Name  
Nickname captain_crunch 
State/Province, Country
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1023  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 3/29/2008 9:10:27 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Conlan's Claim Conlan's Claim is a strategy simulation game with a space colonization theme. It is being developed by two people in their spare time, one programmer and one artist. The technology used is XNA and it will be a Windows only game. ... 
Posted October 13, 2010 12:14:35 PM
Spreading tasks over multiple frames In real-time games, there is a common problem of performing computational tasks that only need to run once in a while but cannot be finished within one frame without causing a lag. Some examples are: pathfinding, updating the moveme... 
Posted October 20, 2010 10:42:42 AM
Spreading pathfinding over multiple frames and updating the graph... I have implemented A* pathfinding on my map. In order to prevent skipping/jerkiness, the searches get spread over multiple cycles/frames if they take too long. So far, so good. But the map also needs to be updated once in a while with th... 
Posted September 27, 2010 5:25:16 PM
Land grabbing NPCs I am making a game about settlers/pioneers where the player controls a colony that shares the map with independent NPCs. There will be land ownership in this game, and the NPCs should be able to claim land for themselves for building and farming. ... 
Posted July 29, 2010 7:23:29 AM
How to get integer values from XNA to shader for array indexing? I need 4 integer values in my pixel shader (PS 2.0) to do indexing into an array. Which VertexElementFormat should I use in my C# program? And how should the datatype be declared in the shader code to ensure that the values are unpacked properly? ... 
Posted June 13, 2010 4:16:30 PM
Getting the right way around corners Hi all, I have a problem where my agents sometimes get on the wrong side of corners. See here: The agent has a waypoint path from tile 4 to 1 that it tries to follow. However, it can get displaced a bit so it drifts towards tile 2. When... 
Posted March 3, 2010 6:11:08 AM
Class design question: Entity and vehicle I have just finished cutting down my unwieldy game object class hierarchy to only one level. I have two important classes: Entity (my agent class) and Vehicle. These classes are never derived from, instead they are specialized by holding... 
Posted October 5, 2009 7:53:22 AM
Conlan's Claim Conlan's Claim is a strategy simulation game with a space colonization theme. It has been underway for 16 months now. It is being developed by two people in their spare time, one programmer and one artist. The technology used is XNA a... 
Posted August 26, 2009 8:42:18 AM
Nature, ecology and agriculture simulation The old thread has been retired, so I'm creating a new one in order to add that I have found a few resources. I haven't done much in the way of design yet, other things have taken precedence, but if you're interested in this sort of modelling... 
Posted August 24, 2009 5:31:03 AM
PIX bug or...? While debugging a vertex shader, I found what I think could be a bug in PIX (March 2009 version). It causes a TEXCOORD to appear with the wrong value when I debug the shader. Here you see the TEXCOORD for the vertex is displayed with the correct... 
Posted July 7, 2009 8:22:14 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Conlan's Claim We consider this gameplay trailer done, but we haven't presented it to any gamers yet, so your comments will be appreciated: http://www.vimeo.com/16848302 
Posted November 15, 2010 3:27:13 PM
Spreading tasks over multiple frames I had not thought of having threads running in the background behind the main loop. That is new to me... But if the thread runs on its own across multiple frames, how do you prevent it from slowing down the game and hurting the frame rate? May... 
Posted October 21, 2010 3:56:26 AM
Spreading tasks over multiple frames Even with parallelization, tasks may take longer than one frame to finish, so spreading them out is still necessary. I think a general solution is a good idea. There must be a central place to keep track of how much CPU time is left. A clas... 
Posted October 20, 2010 1:02:49 PM
Conlan's Claim Remember to visit the website too, it has tons of details... 
Posted October 13, 2010 4:14:32 PM
Spreading pathfinding over multiple frames and updating the graph... Quote:Original post by Calmatory What kind of threats are we talking about? E.g. you're calculating the shortest path from A to B for a kitten, and there are wild dogs roaming around. The kitten shall not stumble upon one in his/her journey? Y... 
Posted September 29, 2010 4:09:57 AM
EvoFx Engine Technology Demo Quote: thank you all i have reach my goal i have conducted a scoial experment of human behaver for developers and i will post the result at my homepage the experment is in words , if you start to say somthing then the recation LOL 
Posted September 28, 2010 9:03:47 AM
Land grabbing NPCs Quote:Original post by Tiblanc Is the player and NPC part of the same group? If so, the group could put land plots up for grabs when it thinks it can expand its territory. Plots could be attributed using a point system. You get points for contributi... 
Posted July 29, 2010 10:09:39 AM
Land grabbing NPCs Quote:Original post by Traveler I think you need an authority that recognizes the claim and a set of rules that determine how much land you can take when conditions x,y and z have been met. Yes. I am reading about the Homestead principle now... 
Posted July 29, 2010 8:25:30 AM
Some screenshots from the first demo of LynxEngine My guess, after all this time, he will either have kept the bloom the way it is because he likes it, or he will have changed it. He is not likely to change his decision now, 3 years later... 
Posted July 16, 2010 8:39:41 PM
How to get integer values from XNA to shader for array indexing? OK, so I can't use indexing. Is there a smart way to dynamically select a channel (r, g or b) in the texture, do you think? Bit operations also don't work in ps_2_0 as I understand... 
Posted June 14, 2010 3:22:29 PM
View All Replies Made By This User