Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know LPVOID_CH...  
Full Name  
Nickname LPVOID_CH 
State/Province, Country Bern   Switzerland
GD Gathering City Bern, Bern, Switzerland
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.deltasoftgames.ch 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1015  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 10/16/2001 3:34:14 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
[MORPG] - ZDK Online Hi all I want to present my current project: Its called "Zorn der Koenige Online" (its german and means something like 'wrath of kings', for short ZDK). Its a multiplayer online rpg, i do not use the term "massively" yet, because I hav... 
Posted November 8, 2010 1:13:49 PM
Terrain splatting Hi all In my terrain engine I use terrain splatting (opengl/glsl) and it works quite well. I am using an alpha map with the 4 rgba channels. so, i can only use 4 different detail textures for splatting. my terrain's size is 256*256. i would... 
Posted June 27, 2008 3:42:07 AM
OpenGL & Multithreading Hi all I would like to load my textures and display lists in background within a separate thread. The OpenGL context is created in the main thread. But if I use any function to load textures or DLs, they all fail. This is probably because the cont... 
Posted May 29, 2008 9:41:25 AM
Terrain: Triangles or TriangleStrips? hi all i'm improving my terrain engine. i know that triangle strips are handled faster on the gpu than triangle lists. but i'cant represent my terrain with only one indexbuffer, if i use triangle strips. for each terrain-row i need... 
Posted May 7, 2008 4:48:59 AM
[DB] Storing geometry Hi all i'm developing a level editor which uses a database (postgres) to store the data. the db runs on separate server, so every level-designer works on the same database. i'll also use th db for my game. now, i have a lot of geometr... 
Posted February 18, 2008 3:33:18 AM
Sending multiple paktes hi all i'm developing a mmo game engine. i have already implementet a basic version of the client and server, and it works fine. i'm looking for a way to manage pakages on the server. i only update the players which are in the same l... 
Posted September 27, 2007 3:45:18 AM
TimeWrap synchronisation for MMO-Games hi there does anyone of you have experience with the TimeWrap synchronisation algorithm? does anyone know a good and strainght forward tutorial concerning the TimeWrap method? i'm developing an mmorpg and think abount to implement the timewrap alg... 
Posted September 25, 2007 6:20:18 AM
MMO Server Design hi all i'm designing a server architecture for a mmo game. i also started with implementing some network code. i user three different server types: Account Server: on this server there are all account informations for all players in the ga... 
Posted November 9, 2006 1:20:13 AM
SDL and thread problem hi all i'm using SDL for my game and i use several threads (rendering and networking). in each thread i have a delay for 20 to 60ms. when i run the game, the processor load is 100%. if i disable the threads, the processor load is normal. even the... 
Posted October 30, 2006 2:57:04 PM
RakNet and MMO i am designing a server architecture for a mmo game. my question is, if someone of you had experiences with the network lib raknet and mmo-games. i already used raknet for peer2peer games and it worked fine. i think raknet is also a good chioce for m... 
Posted October 28, 2006 10:12:38 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Terrain splatting thank you for the approaches i like the idea with texture coordinates, as i said, 8 detail textures are enough for my terrain. but using two alpha maps is also a good idea. but then i have 2 samplers used for the alpha values. i think the max text... 
Posted June 27, 2008 5:53:48 AM
Novice 3D artist seeking to help with project. Hi, I wrote you a PM. Greetings 
Posted June 3, 2008 3:10:30 AM
OpenGL & Multithreading i already used vbo's but did nothing with pbo. i'll try this with pbo's, i think this is a good way to solve the problem. thx for your answers! 
Posted May 29, 2008 3:38:18 PM
OpenGL & Multithreading well, the disk I/O is not the problem, this works finde. but if load (compile) a display list with a big object, this takes a few ms and if i do that in the main thread, the player would notice that. well, this i can solve with vbo, because initializ... 
Posted May 29, 2008 11:09:25 AM
Terrain: Triangles or TriangleStrips? Quote: Wrong. The best transform ratio (physically transformed vertices / triangles count) you can get with tri-strips is asymptotically near 1.00, whereas with tri-lists you could get the ratio down to 0,52. well, i always read in books/articl... 
Posted May 7, 2008 8:17:52 AM
Terrain: Triangles or TriangleStrips? ok, this would be an idea, but i don't like things like degenerated vertices. i'm porting my engine to XNA, so i don't know how XNA handles degenerated vertices. thx for the approach 
Posted May 7, 2008 4:57:15 AM
[DB] Storing geometry ok, as binary i think it will be faster as a string and the casting wouldn't be a problem. but when the data is in binary mode, it is not stored in a readable format. so, if want to analyse or modify the data in a db-admin tool, the string variant wo... 
Posted February 18, 2008 11:42:18 AM
[DB] Storing geometry Well, the only reason to use a string for a vector or a matrix is a more readable SQL statement. like i wrote above, with a string i only have to write: "SELECT matrix FROM GEOMETRY" rather than "SELECT matrix_11, matrix_12, matrix... 
Posted February 18, 2008 10:59:17 AM
Sending multiple paktes yes, i read somithing like that, that multicasting only works on a LAN. well, in that case it's the only solution to send the same paket to each player. thanks for your suggestions 
Posted September 27, 2007 8:54:23 AM
Sending multiple paktes ok, i think that the UDP overhead isn't the problem. but whats about bandwidth? if, for example, there are 50 players around me, i have to send 50 times the same paket to each player. with multicast-groups, i would only send one paket, and... 
Posted September 27, 2007 7:46:28 AM
View All Replies Made By This User