Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Drew_Benton...  
Full Name Drew Benton
Nickname Drew_Benton 
State/Province, Country TX   United States
GD Gathering City Katy, TX, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1934  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 7/29/2004 7:40:10 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Looking for some math ideas regarding a crypto protocol I've run into a road block when trying to understand the math that goes on in a specific crypto protocol I am studying for educational purposes. First, this is how it's setup. The client generates values using these two equations:   ... 
Posted October 1, 2010 2:53:07 PM
Automating Combo Boxes with the mshtml class Let's say I want to load a web page and change the value of a combo box (in C#). I know I need to use some class from mshtml, but I can't figure out how to do it. Right now I am using this article to do all of this with. Right now I can load a page,... 
Posted October 1, 2005 12:07:10 AM
*Unofficial* Alternative Game Libraries FAQ [Updated 2/03/08] Current Updates: Updated Cornerstone's tutorial link, double checked most links (2/3) The Alternative Game Libraries FAQ Welcome! This forum is dedicated to the discussion of alternative game libraries used. If you have a specific questio... 
Posted August 15, 2005 2:06:15 PM
No conversion from bool to string -- user error or bug? I didn't see any mention in the docs about limitations of the bool type, but maybe I missed it. I'm trying to using the Print function included with the tutorial on a bool type but I am getting an error. If I use say uint8 instead, it works fine... 
Posted August 11, 2010 6:43:03 PM
[Lua] Runtime compiling from C/C++ Recently I've been interested in the network applications of Lua for prototyping out ideas in a server/client environment. I was thinking something along the lines of custom logic generated on a server being sent to a client for execution. For s... 
Posted April 21, 2010 8:42:46 AM
Do you think this is a feasible server architecture design? This post is a bit of an extension of my previous two posts Trying to get my IOCP code on par with expected performance and [Article] Using UDP with IOCP. I've begun working on what I hope would be a scalable high performance server archit... 
Posted August 2, 2009 4:23:14 PM
[Article] Using UDP with IOCP I finally had some time to sit down and write a little article over using UDP and IOCP together. This effort stemmed from my earlier attempts to get IOCP and TCP performance up to par earlier this month. I'll eventually get back to IOCP and TCP, but... 
Posted April 28, 2009 8:13:34 AM
Questions on Enet's window logic I'm in the process of learning Enet for use in my other project. I am working on updating the core code to be C++ and a more OOish architecture. I'm also removing a few numerical limits inherent in the design (from smaller sized data types). I e... 
Posted April 6, 2009 6:58:03 AM
Trying to get my IOCP code on par with expected performance The more I learn, the less I realize I really know. I've finally gotten around to learning the IOCP model the past few weeks. I've done extensive research over this time and have consulted the archives here at GameDev a lot. After having reached... 
Posted March 29, 2009 8:13:23 PM
Why doesn't Boost:Signals throw an exception rather than assert in this example? Consider the following trivial example: #include <boost/signal.hpp> bool FooBar() { return true; } int main(int argc, char * argv[]) { boost::signal<bool ()> sig; //sig.connect(FooBar); if(sig() == true) { } } ... 
Posted March 22, 2009 11:36:03 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Can we draft a post or thread before putting on the server proper? Oh, this is the GDNet Comments, Suggestions and Ideas forum. I thought it was just a regular post asking how you could do it given the limited features we already have. My mistake ~ 
Posted January 5, 2011 4:12:29 PM
Can we draft a post or thread before putting on the server proper? The best creative method I can think of is to use the Private Message feature and simply Send one to yourself (i.e. type in your own name for the recipient). Rather than hit Send, hit "Send Later". Then you can go back and visit your Saved (unse... 
Posted January 5, 2011 3:03:39 PM
C++ console chat Quote:Original post by sheep19 Do you mean something like this? *** Source Snippet Removed *** The idea is right, but the implementation is still flawed. Expanding on what hplus0603 mentioned, you may not actually get all of the bytes you... 
Posted December 30, 2010 12:15:15 AM
Single Substitution Cipher (codebreaking) Quote:Original post by Don Carnage P.P.S.: There's an error in the message. It should be 13 16 16 12/ 7 16 19/ 17 24 15 2 8 6/ 16 15/ 3 10 19 21 9 5 2 26/ 14 10 20 20/ 26 16 22/ 14 26/ 20 16 22 13 14 2 21 6 That doesn't really make sense in co... 
Posted November 5, 2010 1:31:03 PM
SDL and Borland agreement problem If you are new to programming and just want to get started on Windows, you should use Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Express Edition or Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition. In doing so, you'd be able to get working with SDL a lot faster and be... 
Posted October 24, 2010 3:26:12 AM
SDL and Borland agreement problem It's possible that SDL is not compatible with Borland as-is and requires some modifications. What version of Borland are you using? Try looking at this thread to see if that solves your problem. If not, you might need to do some more Google searching... 
Posted October 24, 2010 2:37:00 AM
Minimizing data copies Quote:Original post by wood_brian What is the alternative? We don't want to process a message until it has been completely received. I guess it could be stored on a disk an read back in when the whole message has arrived. Usually what is d... 
Posted October 24, 2010 2:09:15 AM
send problem in threads There are a lot of subtleties when using C# asynchronous sockets. The key things to remember are: - Each client context needs its own recv/send buffers. - If you store a global client list for regular enumeration, you have to lock it. - Sending... 
Posted October 22, 2010 9:25:35 AM
Boost ASIO Question... The nice thing about boost::asio is that it lets you do the traditional TCP stream logic as mentioned and as your code shows which is for great efficiency as well as letting you implement that type of logic easily with another API function called asy... 
Posted October 22, 2010 7:18:49 AM
Boost Threads/ASIO Quote:Original post by beebs1 Could I use thread-local storage for this? And access it from within the callbacks? Or someone suggested previously I could use boost::bind somehow.. help/advice/opinion is really appreciated, thanks! :) I think that... 
Posted October 22, 2010 6:58:42 AM
View All Replies Made By This User