Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know noaktree...  
Full Name Neil Kemp
Nickname noaktree 
State/Province, Country MI   United States
GD Gathering City Ann Arbor, MI, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.neilkemp.us 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1422  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 4/14/2004 2:15:27 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
MFC CDialog Floating Child and CEdit I'm using VS2008 CPP to develop a simple MFC Dialog Based application. First I create a second dialog in the resource editor (IDD_THE_FLOATER). I give the dialog the style:Child setting and place two controls on it: Combo and Edit. Ne... 
Posted July 27, 2009 8:05:37 AM
MFC Tool Window Style Hi everyone, I've created an MDI application with MFC and C++. You can see an image below. The tool window is a CDialog class. I'm trying to figure out how to... 1. Remove the shadow on the tool window. 2. Remove the transparency ... 
Posted October 21, 2008 5:56:47 PM
Rotate a vector no more than N degrees A 3D vector [0,1,0] perpendicular to plane XZ. I want to rotate the vector "no more" than N degrees (N>=0,N<=180) so the angle between the transformed vector and the up vector is <= N. Let's say N=45. Given 2 rotation matrices mX.rota... 
Posted April 15, 2008 11:35:04 PM
Arc Length of Catmull Rom Segments Using a class called SimpleSpline found in the OGRE 3D graphics lib. we can interpolate a single segment of the spline given a parametric value. Algorithm is: Vector4 Param_Powers(t^3, t^2, t, 1); ret = Param_Powers * Coeffs_Mat * Matrix4(Poin... 
Posted December 9, 2007 3:32:21 PM
Set / Get 2D Vector Angle I'm sure this will be trivial for someone, and I'd appreciate your answer. 1. What I need is to calculate x,y for an angle with the range (0 -> PI*2). 2. Also I need to calculate the angle between the same range 0 to PI2 using x, y. I'v... 
Posted November 8, 2007 12:37:12 PM
Generate 3D Cone Primitive I want to programmatically generate 3d cones using only triangles, no quads. The cones do not have to come to a point - they can have both top and bottom caps. The generation function should take number of sides and height segments into consider... 
Posted June 15, 2007 3:14:06 PM
PHP alternative to mysql_real_escape_string I need to create a PHP function that does the same thing as mysql_real_escape_string. The reason being that I need to use this function more than I actually need to connect to the database. According to the PHP Manual Page, mysql_real_escape_strin... 
Posted May 22, 2007 11:49:32 AM
Filter db output Hi, I'd like to ask your opinion. I have a strict filtering policy for all user input on my php site, some of that data is inserted into my database. I wonder should I still filter data coming from mysql before displaying it? Why? Neil 
Posted December 11, 2006 1:10:17 PM
MySQL Search Hi, I'm trying to imitate the search features of turbosquid.com. I'm planning to add this feature to my website where I have art, music, etc. I'm not looking for a hack solution. I'm looking for something that will be scalable for the future. E... 
Posted August 7, 2006 5:12:16 PM
Online MySQL Interface w/ C++ Hi, I have this online MySQL database and I want to be able to read it and manipulate it with a C++ app on my home machine. What is the best way to do this? Neil 
Posted July 24, 2006 10:09:04 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
MFC Tool Window Style Scratch that! I'm using a special child frame class for the tool windows and loading a child window with all controls onto it. Also I'm modifying the style to WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW. 
Posted October 21, 2008 7:42:39 PM
Weekend Reading: Tales from Journal Land I'm pretty sure I was the first to use that one. I could be sure if you give me access to your database ;) - I believe I began using it when welcoming new GDNet+ members to the journals. This would explain its popularity. It must have been somew... 
Posted August 22, 2008 11:43:36 PM
The Daily GameDev.net Quote:Original post by mittens Quote:Original post by noaktree Are you seriously comparing GTA with HP in terms of sex appeal? I had that last bit worded wrong but, yes, the comparison was made. Completely serious about that too. Uh-huh.[lol] Work... 
Posted May 14, 2008 9:21:44 PM
The Daily GameDev.net Quote: What it lacks in dollarmoney cost, though, it makes up for with more hot, saucy romance between Niko and Michelle (and Kate, Carmen, Kiki, etc.) instead of just Hermione and Ginny.Are you seriously comparing GTA with HP in terms of sex appeal? 
Posted May 14, 2008 3:01:48 PM
Rotate a vector no more than N degrees Thanks erissian for your explanation and the following: Quote:Would it suit your purposes to rotate on X by less than N and then be free to rotate on Y?Of course! *smacks head* [headshake] Yes this works and guarantees the angle will not... 
Posted April 16, 2008 1:34:21 AM
Arc Length of Catmull Rom Segments After some more digging I was able to find this is the OGRE forums. http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=224334 
Posted December 9, 2007 10:45:05 PM
Arc Length of Catmull Rom Segments OK, I must have asked the wrong question. See ya. 
Posted December 9, 2007 8:11:29 PM
Arc Length of Catmull Rom Segments I guess according to this paper http://www.algorithmist.net/crlength.html I've been doing what's called Arc Length Estimation by Summation of Linear Segments. This seems to be computationally expensive. Does anyone know of a 3D implementation that u... 
Posted December 9, 2007 4:36:41 PM
Set / Get 2D Vector Angle I think that cleared everything up. Thank you. Set is now: y = cos(a); x = sin(a); Get is now: a = atan2(x, y); if(a < 0) { a+PI2; } Edit.. You beat me 2 it Admiral. Thanks for your help. I see you have x,y in the proper places. I'... 
Posted November 8, 2007 1:08:35 PM
Set / Get 2D Vector Angle Yes, I'm sorry, I am using C++. No I didn't try it. 
Posted November 8, 2007 12:45:09 PM
View All Replies Made By This User