Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know LJR...  
Full Name Jon Ray
Nickname LJR 
State/Province, Country Phoenix
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.lordjonray.com/gamedev 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID LordJonRay 
Yahoo IM ID lordjonray 
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description Game Developing, AI/AL, Cyberpunk, Technology 
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1015  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 10/10/1999 1:00:00 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Need updated book suggestion I have 2 Win32 projects at the moment both using VC++6.0, one using DirectX7 and the other DirectX9. My problem is this.. I really like using the Dirext9 stuff from what I've already seen. The problem is the book I'm learning from leaves off at... 
Posted December 31, 2004 5:21:29 AM
D3DXLoadSurfaceFromResource? Does anyone know how to properly load/display a surface from a resource instead of a bitmap file? Here is my old method: IDirect3DSurface9* getSurfaceFromBitmap(std::string filename); bkgrd = getSurfaceFromBitmap(./background.bmp"); 
Posted December 28, 2004 5:17:47 PM
Layers of a Scroller/Platform game I'm planning out a 2D side scroller/platform game. Something I'd like to know is how many graphical layers should I setup in the game engine? So far I've come up with 4: - Background layer - Non-Action layer - Action layer (player is here) -... 
Posted October 23, 2004 2:37:10 PM
Community Request: Compiler ID I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this, however, here goes... I'd like to request a new website community feature where we are able to list in our profiles the software compilers we use. Or for artist the graphic tools we use. Or f... 
Posted October 18, 2004 1:49:37 AM
Help create new 3D Game Engine DX/OpenGL I'm currently working on a few 2d projects and once complete will be ready to move to the next step and create a 3D game engine. I'm leaning towards using DirectX 9 but would be willing to work with someone who knows OpenGL so the engine wi... 
Posted October 16, 2004 1:06:44 AM
BYOND.com (Build Your Own Net Dream) Just wanted to let you guys out there know about this little online programming community. If you really would like to start a game have an idea but just not the man power or skills to go full 3d yet. Try this out. They give you a compiler, the progr... 
Posted February 11, 2002 6:51:56 AM
Star Traders -NEW GAME Ok just a few days ago I released a new game called, "Star Traders". If any of you remember the BBS days of Tradewars 1001 or 2002?? This game is a lot like a visual online multiplayer version of the game. But its not a copy, its goes beyond that wit... 
Posted April 6, 2002 6:47:48 AM
LBDT Game Content Developement Group We mainly cater to the BYOND Site. But our custom MIDI music and original WAV soundFX files are geared towards games. We sell everything check and in packs, most packs sell for $1-$3 so you can get some good deal on professional stuff. Check us out f... 
Posted April 6, 2002 6:39:04 AM
RTS/GP Book Anyone here ever looked at the source code for blitting Isometric tile in the book:"Real-Time Strategy Game Programming, Using MS DirectX 6.0"??? By: Mickey Kawick.I just picked up this expensive book yesterday, and the main factor for me buying it w... 
Posted November 14, 1999 5:38:00 PM
PreRendered 3D Iso-GFX I'm wondering for those of you out there who pre-render their GFX in a 3d render. What camera angle do you use to go well with your isometric background? I would guess x45.y45.z45 but get it so its at the south end upper corner of your 3d field. Anyo... 
Posted November 12, 1999 1:32:00 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Need updated book suggestion Ah more good suggestions.. :) The other night while looking through my collection of unread tech books.. I decided to take a crack at "Programming Role Playing Games w/DirectX 2nd Ed." which I had originally decided to hold off on reading unt... 
Posted December 31, 2004 6:00:06 PM
3d Engines You need more than that book to get started into 3D game programming. Thats a good book for getting into C++ programming but useless, until you decide for what platform and library you plan to use for your 3D game engine. You need to decide what OS p... 
Posted November 20, 2004 6:02:57 AM
2D Game Engines "Beginning: Game Programming", by: Michael Morrison. Published by: SAMS. This is a very good book on starting your own 2D graphics engine for Windows. Its also pretty clear cut and low on the verbage and theories. He focuses on just th... 
Posted October 23, 2004 2:31:10 PM
Concept artist looking for a RPG project Where is your portfolio? 
Posted October 18, 2004 10:52:44 PM
Community Request: Compiler ID Quote:Original post by stormrunner perhaps i misunderstood. can't you just include direct links in your signature ? a number of individuals do this. <edit :: ah, i understand now. that would be kinda nice.> I don't think my request invol... 
Posted October 18, 2004 2:29:01 AM
Ultima I Remake - Please Comment Awesome!!!! I've played this and all the Ultimas up to 6. Then I started getting into other RPGs. Still meaning to give IX a go. Glad to see someone doing a remake. I downloaded the game and besides a wierd delayed startup where it changed my screen... 
Posted October 18, 2004 2:26:26 AM
Has any game ever made you think about the larger world? Yes! When I was still in my teens... Leisure Suit Larry 2 or 3? That game rocked!!! and I would love to find it again to run on my Win XP!!! Basically, you started the game out as a worthless bum... and thats how people in the game treated and i... 
Posted October 18, 2004 1:40:02 AM
RPG: Cultural gameplay enough or are you just "gaming the system?" Something I've done in one of my RPGs is add in a hidden honor system. I don't let the players know that its there, but when they kill a neutral or friendly monster or NPC it subtracts from their honor variable. As time goes on if they get... 
Posted October 18, 2004 1:35:57 AM
Post your freaking pics! ...through the airy mist, little can be seen.... 
Posted October 17, 2004 5:52:07 AM
The Full Story+Fatal Error (another dating thread) With all the women out there.. why are my wasting time on just one??? Increase your odds.. meet more girls!!! It works for the lottery! ;) 
Posted October 16, 2004 3:23:07 PM
View All Replies Made By This User