Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know cignox1...  
Full Name Alessandro Caviola
Nickname cignox1 
State/Province, Country Bolzano
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1371  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 3/13/2003 5:05:01 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Fractals generation tutorial Hi all, today something strange happened to me: yesterday I decided to advertise my small fractals generation tutorial through the IOTD, and as soon as I've opened the GD home page, I've discovered that Benoit Mandelbrot left us :-( So, let this s... 
Posted October 18, 2010 12:44:52 PM
Small 3ds loader library: Loader3DS Hi, two weeks ago I started again to play with openGL. The last time I tried to use it, I lost the interest because I got bored by the triangles and the cubes. Same thing happened with my raytracer (even if in this case it was also a lack of spare ti... 
Posted April 6, 2006 10:19:12 PM
Batch on windows: string manipulation Hi all, as I never really worked with batch files, I'm a bit stuck with this task: I have a full path to a file and another path which is a substring of the previous. In addition I have another path i.e. C:\temp\images\mypics\image.jpg C:\temp\im... 
Posted July 13, 2010 6:15:26 AM
gcc vs. VC++ code optimization I'm thinking to move my raytracer from a VS solution to an Eclipse project, but as compiler optimizations skills are fundamental in such kind of applications, I would like to know how do they compare in the most recent version (for gcc the windows po... 
Posted June 2, 2010 5:20:19 AM
Daylight model: values go infinite Hi all, I've implemented a few months ago this Daylight model (I've mostly copied/pasted code from their reference implementation and adapted it to my code). Recently I noticed that often I get infinite values from the algorithm, and precisely fro... 
Posted May 14, 2010 2:54:28 PM
Mapping scalars to RGB Hi all, I'm writing a simple tutorial about rendering the Mandelbrot fractal. Instead than using the standard Escape Time Algorithm to decide wich color to assign to the pixel, I use the variant that evaluates a scalar, floating point value. I don'... 
Posted March 13, 2010 8:11:05 AM
Best practice for dinamic site Well, sorry for the title, I was not sure what to write. I'm in the process of learnin a bit of web programmin and am building a simple site. The site is split in a few sections, and a menu will alway highlight the icon of the section you are in. So... 
Posted March 8, 2010 8:41:29 AM
POP3 + SSL free library? Hi all, I'm looking for a free Pop3/SSL library to get access to my gmail account. I've found OpenPop but I can't find a good documentation and copying the example code found on the net my app reads mails really slowly (1 per second if I on... 
Posted February 27, 2010 3:14:10 AM
Tone mapping and XYZ color space in my RT Hi all, I'm finally trying to add a simple tone mapper (Maximum to white) to my raytracer. Of course, it does not work. What I do is as follows: -Compute the max luminance of the pixels -Convert every pixel to XYZ, scale Y by 1/maxLum, then recon... 
Posted January 24, 2010 1:58:56 PM
memory access errors in C++ Hi all, I want to apologize for my quite abstract question, but honestly I hope that you can save me from several hours of debugging. My spare time project (a raytracer) crashes with "random" combinations of the scene elements and the quality setting... 
Posted January 15, 2010 6:49:53 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
light sources I don't use DX, but as far as I know there is no (simple) way to create what you want. What you might do, however, is using a traditional point light and then an 'emissive' surface for the rectangle, so that it is not influenced by lights in the scen... 
Posted December 22, 2010 5:17:18 AM
Programming as a career... Worth it? As I don't live in USA I can't be of much help, but nobody else answered yet so... I must say that getting a computer science degree was not what I used to dream. Here where I live, companies require knowledge of italian, german and english, but sal... 
Posted December 2, 2010 2:21:51 AM
accessing pixel values on c++ If you start from scratch (i.e. you don't have a framework yet), then you could use one of the free images apis out there: SDL, FreeImage, DevIL just to name a few. Any of them expose functions to load, save and process images (i.e. scaling, rot... 
Posted November 16, 2010 2:33:53 AM
Raytracing, diffuse component, is this ok? Quote:Original post by h3nr1x Are those concepts modifications of the rt algorithm to achive more photorealistic results? Look for path tracing: it is the easies GI algorithm to understand and implement. You simply shoot a ray and once it hi... 
Posted November 8, 2010 2:07:51 AM
Visual Studio versions and/or alternatives I've never found anything comparable to VS as far as c++/.net goes. In addition, one of the most important missing features in the express edition (the profiler) are only included in the team edition IIRC, not even in most of the expensive... 
Posted November 7, 2010 4:50:49 PM
Raytracing, diffuse component, is this ok? Mmm, why going into the mess of GI when you still have soft shadows, reflections, transmission, BRDF's, textures, triangles, acceleration structures, cameras, scene managment, ... to implement? Anyway, if you are serious about RT, buy PBRT: the fi... 
Posted November 7, 2010 3:34:15 AM
Finding the Pitch of a WAV Perhaps the Fast Fourier Transform can be of help. Once I wrote a guitar tuner using FFTW to recognize the dominant frequency of the signal and showing to the user how much it differed from the standard 440hz A note. EDIT: in case you are inte... 
Posted October 29, 2010 3:32:43 AM
The best language question again When I started programming, C++ was one of the most used languages, and there were no many alternatives really (except Pascal and Visual Basic) so choosing it was fine. Currently there are many languages heavily used in industry. C#, Python or... 
Posted October 26, 2010 2:17:50 AM
Fractals generation tutorial Quote:Original post by Tachikoma What does the biforcation diagram represent? It looks atractive Bifurcation diagram It's something I added after I wrote the tutorial and t is somewhat different than the other fractals generated by the app. I... 
Posted October 21, 2010 2:08:02 AM
Fractals generation tutorial Thank you and let me know what do you think about it! 
Posted October 19, 2010 4:15:54 AM
View All Replies Made By This User