Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Fruny...  Moderator
Full Name Yannick Loitière
Nickname Fruny 
State/Province, Country Ile-de-France   France
GD Gathering City Paris, Ile-de-France, France
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID 5377928 
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Software Engineer 
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 2027  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 11/16/2001 4:21:04 AM
GDNet+ Journal http://members.gamedev.net/fruny/journal/
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Call graph analysis I have a little problem in which I must justify that all the dynamic allocations in a rather large piece of C++ software happen during its initialization phase. So I need to trace all calls to operator new and other mallocs, and do so with a static a... 
Posted February 22, 2009 8:45:52 AM
C++ Workshop - Week 1 (Ch. 1 & 2) - Quizzes and Extra Credit Quizzes and Extra Credit assignments for Week 1. Post your answers to the Extra Credit assignment and Quizzes from Week 1 here rather than in the workshop thread, so as not to spoil things for the others. Invisal's Extra Exercises It is... 
Posted June 9, 2006 1:01:25 PM
Shiver me timbers! Python 2.5 ho! Shiver me timbers! Python 2.5 ho!Posted by: Pegleg Fruny at September 19, 2006 7:08:45 PMAhoy me hearties! Python 2.5 now be sailin’ the Spanish Main. Ye scurvy dogs gunna be findin’ many an improvement. Smartly go where an X be markin&rs... 
Posted September 19, 2006 2:08:45 PM
C++ Workshop - Feedback Given that it has been three weeks since we've started this workshop, I feel it is time to gather some feedback. Unsurprisingly, in spite of an initial wave of enthusiasm, the participation numbers seem to be down. If you have given up participati... 
Posted June 26, 2006 5:48:13 PM
Free Visual Studio 2005 Standard -- Offer extended In case you have missed that offer the first time around, Microsoft extended the deadline to June 30, meaning that you can still get a free copy of Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition (if you are in the US). All you have to do is to watch their webca... 
Posted May 28, 2006 10:00:50 AM
C++ Workshop - IDE Installation & Configuration Creating and Building a Project w/ VC++ .NET 2005The instructions for creating a project/file in the book on pages 19-20 are for Visual C++ 6. Visual C++ .NET 2005 is actually version 8. The correct approach for .NET 2005 is: Step 1: Crea... 
Posted June 12, 2006 6:51:24 PM
Noteworthy threads, articles and other resources Since it's been suggested there were too many stickies at the top of the forum, I'm going to add a layer of indirection and replace them with this thread. If you have noteworthy threads in your bookmarks, feel free to contribute (they don't have to o... 
Posted November 16, 2005 10:59:17 AM
Updating the For Beginners forum FAQ Those of you who actually have checked the forum FAQ probably have noticed that it is a bit light on actual answers to the technical questions that are Frequently Asked in here. Most recently, this thread highlighted the problem that, even when... 
Posted June 29, 2005 1:35:04 PM
NVidia releases NVPerfKit 1.0 RC1 NVidia releases NVPerfKit 1.0 RC1Posted by: Fruny at August 10, 2005 5:16:29 PMNVPerfKit gives you access to low-level performance counters inside the driver, and hardware counters inside the GPU itself. The counters can be used to determine exactly... 
Posted August 10, 2005 8:16:29 PM
Stream IO frustration (with locales, in particular) Thrice cursed be the designers of std::num_put! A pox on whomever thought it would be a good idea to reuse std::num_put(..., long) for int and short, and std::num_put(...,double) for float. May those who thus stopped me from writing a decent binary... 
Posted April 26, 2004 9:10:59 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
C++ std library iterator inheritance HELP! list.begin() should be myList.begin(). Same for list.end(). Also note that, in standard C++, there is no such thing as a _tmain() function. 
Posted May 13, 2009 1:30:54 AM
[ C++ ] Taking screenshot from webcam every .1 seconds I've been curious about how you went about doing that, but never to the point of actually looking it up. Thanks for the link. 
Posted April 26, 2009 4:10:22 PM
Best language for game development? Quote:Original post by poker158149 But is there any language that can be substituted for C++ in making the actual game or does it have to be C++? Pascal, Fortran, Ada, LISP, Haskell, Eiffel ... There are plenty of languages out there that you... 
Posted April 26, 2009 3:59:36 PM
Implementing [][] operator As it's been said before in the thread, yes, that's the way to do it. Watch out for object scopes when using references. 
Posted April 26, 2009 3:45:09 PM
[C++] Question about memset Quote:Original post by jonathanc Thanks! You have indeed helped a lot. Will go look more into standard vectors. Just keep in mind that there are other containers, with different trade-offs than vector. Using the right data structure and the right... 
Posted April 26, 2009 3:39:52 PM
[C++] Question about memset Quote:Original post by jonathanc Yes , m_height's type is std::vector <float>. So you say its ok just to do m_heights.resize(m_size * m_size); without the need to copy it into memory? (I am also working in OpenGL here hence the slight confus... 
Posted April 26, 2009 3:29:24 PM
[C++] Question about memset Quote:Original post by jonathanc m_heights.resize(m_size * m_size); ... memset(&m_heights[0], 0, m_heights.size()); The elements in a vector (I assume it is a vector) are default-initialized. They will already be zero, no need for a memset. Fur... 
Posted April 26, 2009 3:04:44 PM
Best language for game development? Quote:Original post by poker158149 Which engine would be good for me to use as a beginner learning Python? Until you know what kind of game you want to create, that question is meaningless. Quote:I have Pygame along with Python installed ... 
Posted April 26, 2009 2:50:12 PM
Whats the best turn based strategy game ever? How about Diplomacy? 
Posted April 26, 2009 2:32:18 PM
[C++] Question about memset If you're using C++ rather than C, do not use memset or memcpy. Use std::fill, std::fill_n or std::copy instead, they do the Right Thing. #include <algorithm> std::fill(m_heights.begin(), m_heights.end(), 0); Quote:Now, let's say I n... 
Posted April 26, 2009 2:23:45 PM
View All Replies Made By This User