You can also access #gamedev through your favorite IRC client (e.g. mIRC). We are located on the AfterNET network in channel #gamedev.
There are several rules that comprise our chat policy:
Because the channel is frequented by teenagers as well, keep topics family-friendly. That means
Depending on how explicit the discussion is, warnings may or may not be given before a ban.
- No drug-related topics.
- No sex-related topics.
- Keep swearing to a minimum.
- Warez talk is not allowed in the channel.
- Racism is not tolerated, even if in a jokingly manner, and even if you are insulting your own race.
- Respect should be shown to your fellow channel mates. As such, avoid insulting their family members.
Ban evasion is not tolerated.
Even if you have been banned unfairly, play by the book. Wait until the ban is lifted, or approach one of the managers (or above) for an appeal.
If you are discovered to be ban evading, action will be taken to either prolong the ban period, addlamer you, or perhaps even a gline.
- In the event of a heated discussion, if you are asked by the operator to tone down or even switch to another topic, kindly do so. Failure to do so will result in a ban.
- Do not play with the 'toys' in the channel. This means 8ball, calc, and others.
- Do not use obtrusive scripts/bots in the channel.
- No flooding/spamming of the channel. You will be kicked or banned, depending on the content. Accidental paste which lead to spam are normally forgiven, but a kick might be issued in case the operator notice it and wish to stop the flood.
- If you need to paste more than a couple of lines of code, please use a paste site. For instance http://muer.njoerdba.com/paste/.
- Use your own best judgement; the ops will be using theirs.
We like to have fun, but if you cross the line between having fun and bothering us, you will be removed from our channel immediately (by the op with the fastest trigger finger) and possibly banned. Banning will occur at the staffs' uniform or majority discretion. You may be unbanned from our channel if and only if you post a single (1) message stating public apology to our message board and we actually buy it.
GameDev.net does not and will not make any committment to moderation of conferences, meetings, scheduled events, lectures, ballgames, Hanson concerts, or discos. Speakers will not be given status as channel operators, but they will be protected by any present channel operators. We are simply saying that we do not obligate ourselves to show up to your chat.
We reserve all rights relating to the enforcement of our policy.