Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know kentcb...  
Full Name Kent Boogaart
Nickname kentcb 
State/Province, Country Adelaide
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://kentb.blogspot.com/ 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Software Developer 
Job Description Predominantly C# ASP.NET 
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1016  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 6/25/2004 12:01:35 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Recommendation for JPEG support Hi, I'd like to add JPEG support to my game because I'm currently using large bitmaps for backgrounds. I intended statically linking to FreeImage but that is not currently possible (see http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1223935&f... 
Posted February 7, 2005 6:08:22 AM
Redraw everything or use clip list? Hi, In a 2D game, is it "standard practice" to redraw the entire screen every frame, or should a clip list be maintained to minimise the amount of blitting necessary for each frame? I ask because I noticed my game runs fine on newer machin... 
Posted February 5, 2005 10:02:14 PM
Stretch Blitting Hello, If I wanted to blit a black area on the screen, is it appropriate to stretch blit a single black pixel over the area? This is the approach I took recently in my game and it works fine. However, I noticed stretch blitting seems to ru... 
Posted February 4, 2005 8:39:28 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Please Help with Compiling Java!!! Is "." in your classpath? ie. is the compiler looking in the current directory for classes? Try javac -cp . Course.java HTH, Kent 
Posted January 26, 2006 10:19:38 PM
Something is wrong woth my LAN connection Coincidentally, I had this exact problem last night. Usually I will get around 60KB/s but it crawled to a painful 2KB/s and had trouble even downloading web pages. I also suspected one of my neighbours had hijacked my router but I do have WPA... 
Posted November 9, 2005 12:21:21 AM
memory management problem Quote:Original post by spunkybuttockszc Thanks for the replies. I tried what you suggested, JohnBolton, and made a seperate loop as follows to delete the entities: *** Source Snippet Removed *** But this causes the program to lock up. When I d... 
Posted February 19, 2005 6:54:00 PM
Would Someone Mind Endi.... (All Solved) Quote:Original post by ace_lovegrove Is that seriously gonna be the main difference, ok ill report back with a full-screen frame rate. EDIT: Benchmarked at 33FPS in fullscreen, even less than windowed. Any suggestions? ace Maybe I'm miss... 
Posted February 18, 2005 5:49:44 AM
Need Some Guidance First off, I'll agree with cwhite and correct the link (s)he gave: http://www.gamedev.net/reference/start_here/ Secondly, I'd like to let you in on my story. I got into Uni (college, as you'd call it in the US) and studied for a year and a ha... 
Posted February 18, 2005 5:38:26 AM
Your Opinions, General Stuff You could use stl::vector instead of the array. Presumably you'll know how many frames of animation you have, so you can reserve memory before filling the vector: vector<Sprite> animation; animation.reserve(numFrames); //now populate fra... 
Posted February 8, 2005 5:22:04 AM
directdraw surface locking/drawing problem Hi the_moo, What return value are you getting from your Blt invocations? I think it may be returning DDERR_SURFACEBUSY because you've locked the surface. Blt locks the surface itself, rather than requiring you to do so. So, instead of explicitl... 
Posted February 6, 2005 3:43:38 AM
Redraw everything or use clip list? Thanks for the suggestions. I'm using DirectX (IDirectDrawSurface7::BltFast to be precise) to do the background blit. My machine is PI 200MHz / 96MB RAM / 4MB VRAM / Win 98. I don't think I'll optimise since I don't really care about machines t... 
Posted February 6, 2005 12:44:56 AM
Stretch Blitting Ta Dave. I wasn't sure *how* to do a clear / fill. I just found the DDBLT_COLORFILL flag for Blt() which should do what I want. Thanks, Kent 
Posted February 4, 2005 9:22:51 PM
Game influence debated For God's sake, of course video games can influence people (not just kids, people). So can videos, magazines, newspapers etcetera. The influence can be socially beneficial or otherwise. That's why we have ratings and guardians. Parents that let th... 
Posted January 7, 2005 4:07:00 AM
View All Replies Made By This User