Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Programmer16...  GDNet+
Full Name Donald Beals
Nickname Programmer16 
State/Province, Country MI   United States
GD Gathering City Onondaga, MI, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.p16games.com 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID dfgDBeals 
Yahoo IM ID Programmer16 
Current Occupation
Job Title Indie Game Developer 
Job Description Im an indie game developer. 
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1528  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 2/1/2003 12:26:25 AM
GDNet+ Journal http://members.gamedev.net/dfgames/journal/
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
LuaInterface and Coroutines I've spent the last two days working on this and I've finally cobbled together a mediocre solution. To start-off, I have 5 coroutine managing functions: function SetupCoroutineTable() coroutine_table = { }; end function AddCorouti... 
Posted October 17, 2010 2:45:30 AM
Blocks Gone Wild ARE YOU READY FOR SOME BLOCK-ON-BLOCK action?! WELL GET READY FOR BLOCKS GONE WILD! as these hot young blocks take everything off, we don't know what to expect! [UPDATED] Download - Windows only & full source included I got bored and decid... 
Posted June 28, 2007 10:40:09 AM
[C++/DX9] Weird texture editing & render issue I coded up some drawing routines for my Texture class, including a Layer class (it all wraps up creating an instance of IDirect3DSurface9, locking, setting/getting pixel data, and unlocking.) It all works fine...except if I try to use it during runti... 
Posted March 3, 2008 2:47:27 PM
MessageBox style function I'm working on a MessageBox style function for my game. Here's an example: void OnActivate() { std::string Choices[] = {"Yes", "No"}; std::string Choice = dft::ShowChoiceBox("Do you want to continue?", Choices, sizeof(Choices)... 
Posted February 20, 2008 2:13:14 PM
Chompy Introducing Chompy: Download - Windows only Full source included; same as with Blocks Gone Wild. Simple Snake clone made in about 4 hours. Eat the #, grow longer (depending on the difficulty.) Gain more points as you grow larger. Hit... 
Posted June 29, 2007 9:59:01 AM
Journal Email Notifications I was wondering if we could get email notifications for replies to our journals. I'd much prefer that to refreshing the page every now and then. Thanks! 
Posted June 1, 2007 12:40:08 AM
Simpler STL container enumeration I was just wondering why nobody (that I can find) has written simpler STL container enumeration/iteration code. I've been writing some STL wrappers and came up with the following solution (similar to C#'s design) and it works really well and I don't... 
Posted October 11, 2006 10:23:25 PM
New image system for GDS entries The GDS image system really distorts and screws up screenshots that are uploaded which can make the entry look less than good. Maybe we could use a system that is similar to the IOTD gallery (when the user clicks on an image it is opened, full s... 
Posted July 15, 2006 5:15:57 PM
dftGUI Ver. 1 Hey all. This is the GUI system I've been working on for my 4E5 entry. Its the culmination of about 10 hours of work split between 2 days. The system is made out of 12 classes so far: Widget Button TextBox CheckBox Fader Fader::Bar Tal... 
Posted July 7, 2006 11:14:13 AM
wbr tag being inserted into my link I'm trying to add a link(http://www.dragonforgetechnology.comProjects/ProjectAsrion/Documentation/ProjectAsrion.html) to my journal template and every time I save changes, < wbr > (without the spaces) gets added after the 'Doc' in 'Documentatio... 
Posted June 2, 2006 12:20:37 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Are Built-in Tutorials Good Design? My main piece of advice: if you use it, make it skippable. I like built in tutorials myself, but I hate getting stuck in them. The best solution I've seen is splitting the tutorials up and allowing the player to go through them in any order. 
Posted December 16, 2010 12:36:12 AM
Growing plants in games - examples you liked? Rune Factory is a decent game. I haven't played very far into it, but it' kind of like Harvest Moon with more of an RPG-esque battle system. 
Posted December 15, 2010 12:28:47 AM
Weekend Reading: Tales from Journal Land Drew, do you not realize that you're not allowed to have a life? I die a little every time you skip a week; I'm starting to run out of heart-pieces man! P.S. Have fun in Taiwan! 
Posted November 30, 2010 11:59:00 PM
TumbleStone First, you'll get better results out of 1) Using HTML anchors - TumbleStone.net 2) Link directly to the video - TumbleStone Gameplay Video 5 3) Add a description, even if it's just what you have in the description for the YouTube movie. As for... 
Posted November 26, 2010 5:01:21 AM
LuaInterface and Coroutines I'm going to stick with this for now (don't let this put you off from posting though; I'm still more than interested in comments and suggestions.) It's not the best solution, but it's working really well and I want to move onto other stuff. H... 
Posted October 18, 2010 3:16:10 AM
Untitled private void Form1_Paint(object sender, PaintEventArgs e) { /* 1*/ Direct3D objDirect3D = new Direct3D (); /* 2*/ PresentParameters pp = new PresentParameters (); /* 3*/ pp.BackBufferHeight = 1080; /* 4*/ pp.BackBufferWidth = 1920;... 
Posted October 17, 2010 3:56:21 AM
Weekend Reading: Tales from Journal Land But, Drew...we already said our goodbyes. 
Posted October 16, 2010 1:15:04 PM
Untitled The big red rectangle is how the system handles exceptions thrown during the paint event. Are you using MDX or SlimDX? As stated, you don't want to create the Direct3D object and Device each paint event. Create them once in your Load event... 
Posted October 14, 2010 5:42:12 PM
Font sheets? Quote:Original post by Promit I generally use BMFont to generate sheets. They are not evenly spaced, but reading the files and setting up all the rendering is straightforward (and decent practice for a beginner). I have to second this; BMFont is... 
Posted September 22, 2010 11:43:36 PM
Weekend Reading: Tales from Journal Land (Returns!) Weekend Reading, oh how I have missed thee! 
Posted September 4, 2010 1:13:21 PM
View All Replies Made By This User