Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know slyprid...  
Full Name Aaron Foley
Nickname slyprid 
State/Province, Country OH   United States
GD Gathering City Toledo, OH, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.forgottenstar.com 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1068  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 5/18/2005 3:02:23 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Issues with abstract classes and list I'm working on a game for my class at school and I have some code that works in c# but when I ported it to c++ it doesn't seem to work. I've finally got it to compile but it doesn't run the function from the inherited class. The way I have it... 
Posted June 28, 2007 10:37:20 PM
Tiling performance in c++ I started working on a tile engine the other day all done in c++ and within a dll everything was coming along smoothly, but I noticed some performance issues. I have an older version of the program that does 5 layers of tiles, gui and animation... 
Posted March 23, 2007 5:31:46 PM
Device not clearing I'm working on a new framework currently, and I've ran into a problem with the device. It seems that even though the device is there, and its running the code, it doesn't want to clear the screen to a specified color. Here is what I have. M... 
Posted January 1, 2007 10:49:08 AM
The Adventures of Clootie The Adventures of Clootie This is a project I've just started working on recently for one of my college classes. So far its going to be a 2D side scrolling platformer. I'm going for more of a cartoonish look for the entire game. The f... 
Posted June 9, 2006 5:27:39 PM
Collision Detection for Platforms With my current game i'm working on I've been trying to implement a system for collision detection. Its coming along decently but i'm having some issues trying to get jumping up onto something to work properly. What I've implemented is a... 
Posted June 16, 2006 12:43:30 PM
Structs and Textures I've recently been working on a platformer, and ran into a wierd bug. I'm not sure if its due to my data losing scope or what, but I created a class that holds the information about the world. Well I also included an array to hold information... 
Posted June 12, 2006 12:35:35 PM
Collision Detection problem I'm writing a program for my college class, and it involves taking an object and bouncing it around the screen. Well the problem i'm running into is that some of the objects tend to stick or orbit around each other and than eventually break free. I... 
Posted June 4, 2006 5:23:25 PM
DirectInput questions I'm trying to implement a mouse using directinput but can't seem to get it to work. I'm trying to acquire a absolute position of the mouse on the screen so I can determine if my mouse is over a button and such for my GUI. Now the problem i'm r... 
Posted June 2, 2006 12:17:29 PM
Problem with Textures and Arrays I'm currently trying to implement a GUI, and what I did was create a class that holds all the information for each of my controls. class clsGUI { private: LPDIRECT3DDEVICE9 dev; public: struct ControlData { int id; int x; int... 
Posted June 1, 2006 5:26:24 PM
Bump Mapping, Normal Mapping Help I've been looking around for some decent tutorials on how to implement bump mapping, or normal mapping into my engine. Does anyone know some decent resources around. I've been reading the articles on the site here and a couple others arou... 
Posted May 15, 2006 1:21:42 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Issues with abstract classes and list Thanks for the help, will try out some of the suggestions later tonight. The spot where I was having issues with instantiating the base class was with the list decleration. I think with the above suggestions it will fix this issue. Will update lat... 
Posted June 29, 2007 10:34:15 PM
Issues with abstract classes and list I tried the things that you suggested and got a compile error saying 'error C2259 'clsBaseScene' cannot instantiate abstract class' and then a couple of conversion errors. I will try changing some things today and see if it works. The reason its al... 
Posted June 29, 2007 5:17:29 AM
Tiling performance in c++ Wow didn't even think about those declares in the draw method. By defining them at start of method it increased it to 75fps with 5 layers. Even with drawing every tile on the screen (3840 tiles) I still get 45fps. Thanks for the help. Will p... 
Posted March 23, 2007 9:12:22 PM
Tiling performance in c++ On first draw its entire map, so 768 draws. (32x24). Once thats done it sets tiles to dirty = false and only draws if those tiles are dirty (moved, changed, something moves over them). So my drawcount at that point is literally 0. 
Posted March 23, 2007 6:11:33 PM
Device not clearing Ah, I see what your talking about. I'm just using the switch statement for time being to test out loading and such in the framework, than I'll be moving over to a more proper state system. Slyprid 
Posted January 1, 2007 12:07:03 PM
Device not clearing Lol, wow thanks. Went through and did a bunch of gutting my program and it was just that. Figures. Thanks for the help. Oh, btw what did you want to reference when stating about state patterns? Slyprid 
Posted January 1, 2007 12:05:39 PM
Device not clearing Ok I took out the D3DCLEAR_ZBUFFER from the clear command and it worked. Is there a reason why this would work? Am I not setting up the zbuffer or something? 
Posted January 1, 2007 11:50:58 AM
Device not clearing Ok I did notice that on HRESULT of my clear statement i'm getting -2005530516 as the result instead of S_OK. 
Posted January 1, 2007 11:46:56 AM
The Adventures of Clootie The magenta off the back side of the building is part of one of the background layers. Need to fix it. I'm using a color key and those are a couple spots that are off by a small bit so the engine still draws them. May try some shading like I... 
Posted June 17, 2006 11:43:23 AM
Collision Detection for Platforms I finally got it to work. I had the right idea, but found out some of my numbers were not coming out right after fixing those the world is full of gravity now. Now to apply it to other objects. :D Slyprid 
Posted June 16, 2006 2:27:37 PM
View All Replies Made By This User