Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know ArenMook...  
Full Name  
Nickname ArenMook 
State/Province, Country Ontario   Canada
GD Gathering City Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://blog.nextrevision.com/ 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Game Developer 
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1050  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 8/10/2007 3:46:40 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
R5: Trees I've long lamented the absence of any decent textures freely available on the internet with which to create trees. Models and textures found on turbosquid and other similar sites are either of such high poly count that they're unusable in g... 
Posted January 12, 2010 12:24:02 PM
Deformable Terrain Gen Just a quick demo of a procedurally generated terrain for a game I'm working on, inspired mainly by Dwarf Fortress. This demo generates a 4096x4096 heightmap using perlin noise, calculates a normal map, downsamples the heightmap to 512x512 dimen... 
Posted May 1, 2009 9:52:28 AM
R5: Skeletal Animation It has been a while since I posted here, but the work on the R5 engine has continued at a steady pace. I've recently added a powerful yet simple to use skeletal animation system to the engine, and figured it might be worth making a quick post! ... 
Posted April 10, 2009 3:30:20 AM
R5: High Quality SSAO After tackling deferred rendering I dove right into Screen Space Ambient Occlusion. I have to admit it's a fair bit more expensive than I thought it would be. The approach I use for the high quality version: 1. Sample the depth at the pixel and fi... 
Posted December 21, 2008 12:23:49 AM
R5: Deferred Rendering approach I have to admit it took me over a year to finally get enough time to sit down and implement a deferred rendering approach in my engine. Still, the results are pretty impressive from the benchmarking perspective. Even my poor MacBook with an integrate... 
Posted December 2, 2008 10:59:10 PM
Depth-only rendering nerfs texture quality? I'm curious if anyone else noticed this strange bug. If a scene is rendered to a frame buffer object with only a depth texture attached to it, all the textures used in the rendering process turn into what looks like 16-bit (thanks to Yann for... 
Posted October 24, 2008 3:53:41 AM
Seamless Noise I was playing around with the Seamless Noise generation class I developed as part of the R5 Game Engine I've been working on for the past year and a half and thought hey, this could make a fairly interesting Image of the Day. So here it is! B... 
Posted July 6, 2008 9:19:01 PM
ATI... why do you hate me... Alright, so I am getting quite pissed at ATI lately... I develop at home on my NVidia 8800 GTX and everything works perfectly fine. I then come to work and try to run my engine on ATI X1650, and lo and behold, half the time something is mes... 
Posted September 24, 2007 1:01:04 PM
Messed up graphics after going full screen? Hi guys, I'm wondering if someone with a bit more experience than me in the area of Windows/OpenGL can offer a bit of insight regarding a bug I've stumbled upon: Going fullscreen messes up my graphics big time. At the bottom are screenshots to illust... 
Posted August 27, 2007 9:34:20 AM
Blending issues when rendering to a FBO texture Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with an issue I've encountered today. Basically I create a FBO with a bound GL_RGBA texture, render my UI to it, then draw a simple quad on the screen with the FBO's texture stretched across it. I... 
Posted August 10, 2007 4:12:28 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
P-Xcel - simple on-model texture editor [UPDATE v1.01] Now all that's left is to import this hummer into Minecraft and drive around in style. 
Posted August 25, 2010 10:12:08 AM
Shader Toy Now this... is awesome. 
Posted January 25, 2010 5:27:16 PM
R5: Trees Quote:Original post by sensate Very nice. I took a quick look at your google source page. It looks like you've abstracted out the render api layer. Are you thinking of writing a dx11 layer too? Although it's certainly a possibility, I will likely j... 
Posted January 14, 2010 9:04:46 AM
R5: Trees Quote:Original post by Beather Hello, WHen I run the program, I just see empty black trees. Am I supposed to push a button somewhere to see something/generate leaves? (Generate button doesn't do anything) Nick Empty black trees is certainly n... 
Posted January 13, 2010 5:55:35 PM
R5: Trees Thanks for the suggestions! Unfortunately a debug build wouldn't be very helpful in this case as spookycat mentioned the app freezing when trying to generate a second canopy texture, implying the need to pause the app via visual studio's debugger... 
Posted January 13, 2010 12:36:46 PM
R5: Trees Quote:Original post by spookycat Those trees look great, and thankyou for providing source code, I will be having a play with this for sure. I did download the exe and it ran fine and looks great but it freezes when I try to generate a new texture. ... 
Posted January 13, 2010 9:05:05 AM
R5: Trees Update: I've uploaded a pair of videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2oTWHmrCMs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBF1KlaF0rg [Edited by - ArenMook on January 12, 2010 10:47:37 PM] 
Posted January 12, 2010 10:47:03 PM
R5: Trees Thanks for the comments! There are indeed a lot of leaves, but since the leaf textures are procedurally generated, the sliders control how many leaves are placed on each texture as well as the size of the leaves to begin with. In the demo you ha... 
Posted January 12, 2010 4:37:11 PM
Unity Technologies Releases Unity Asset Server 2.0 The sad thing is, the asset server is only useful because of the way Unity stores the majority of its scene and asset information (metadata files and folders it generates). Had their developers simplified it and used something like an ASCII solu... 
Posted December 24, 2009 11:47:45 AM
Forward rendering limitations? Quote:Original post by PlayerX Quote:Original post by ArenMookYou say you want 2000 lights? Forward rendering is limited by the hardware limitation of 8 maximum active lights. Hmmm, are you sure you're not confusing "forward rendering" with "fixe... 
Posted November 29, 2009 11:56:45 AM
View All Replies Made By This User