Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know BeastX...  
Full Name Guthrie Adams
Nickname BeastX 
State/Province, Country TX   United States
GD Gathering City Austin, TX, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL www.beastworks.com 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID guthrieadams 
Current Occupation
Job Title Programmer 
Job Description Game Programmer 
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1030  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 7/26/2005 1:00:18 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Pocket Warrior iPhone I got my first product into the app store a couple of weeks ago. It's not a game (yet). Pocket Warrior is initially meant to be a toy, a comical, talking, action figure of a super, high poly, animated, soft skinned model. After porting my existing... 
Posted June 21, 2009 10:38:19 PM
(Solved) Max Exporter for mesh, materials, skeleton, weighting, and animation I've been doing research for existing options before breaking down to write a custom MAX exporter. The most ideal formats I've come across are MS3D, Collada, and Ogre's XML. The Ogre XML format seems the most appealing and has an existing exporte... 
Posted June 22, 2006 8:34:32 PM
(Solved) Skinning MD5mesh/anims in D3D with standard indexed vertex blending I have a generic skinning and animation system that I hope can support a few formats. Currently, I'm adding support for MD5. It was easy enough to get MD5 meshes, skeletons, and animations loading and playing. My skeleton proxy renders and anima... 
Posted June 28, 2006 1:14:20 PM
(Solved) Ogre Exporter for animation in non-Ogre projects? I've written a generic animation system. I'm using MD5 and Ogre XML formats for test data. I can get MD5 meshes and animations to load, play, and render perfectly if I do my own software skinning. I'm having issues with using the same animatio... 
Posted July 5, 2006 11:57:08 AM
Max 7 MD5 exporters? Does anyone know of an alternate MD5 exporter to Berserker? That's the only one I've been able to find with a working link. It works but it's extremely slow and doesn't support Physique or Biped. 
Posted June 23, 2006 11:45:57 AM
Purchasing Assets I'm not sure if I have time to compete since I don't have the luxury of summer break anymore. If I made time and couldn't find artists for team members then I'd like to buy custom character models and animations for my seemingly unique idea. I'm no... 
Posted June 9, 2006 7:41:44 PM
Process for level design of Action/Adventure games Regardless of toolset and engine, how do different people go from brainstorming an idea to having a designed level that's ready enough to be assembled for a game? I'm not talking about actual in game implementation. For me, "Action/Adventure" can i... 
Posted May 30, 2006 4:06:33 PM
(Solved) Lua user data and properties (__index/metatables) I have a class design that includes a lookup table based property system. It allows me to get/set members by name in C++, during serialization, scripting, at run-time, etc. Using Lua light user data and method/meta tables on the C++ side,... 
Posted December 17, 2005 11:59:15 PM
(FIXED) ASE inconsistencies besides MESH_SMOOTHING? (Sorry for the double post, the other one wouldn't delete) My ASE loader works well for materials and geometry data except... I ran across an issue where some faces were occasionally lost. This was because the MESH_SMOOTHING tag does not... 
Posted October 20, 2005 11:55:32 AM
ASE inconsistencies besides MESH_SMOOTHING? My ASE loader works well for materials and geometry data except... I ran across an issue where some faces were occasionally lost. This was because the MESH_SMOOTHING tag does not always have an associated value. When no smoothing group was assig... 
Posted October 19, 2005 1:35:33 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Mulver - 3D Platform game Nevermind, I saw the scripts. Brute force layout of all that sstuff is pretty hard core. You do what you gotta do! 
Posted August 19, 2008 3:02:06 PM
Mulver - 3D Platform game I dug it. Here are some questions. * You mentioned Lua and Python. Which was actually used? * If Lua, what was your architecture: single state, state per object, coroutines, or were all objects created and maintained in Lua? * What did you use... 
Posted August 19, 2008 1:20:44 PM
[4E6] Conclusion Quote:Original post by Numsgil Quote:Original post by BeastX You're provided with an extensive list of free resources in the contest forum, as well as the web, and any other resources you can find, make, or purchase. Why would you purchase ass... 
Posted May 12, 2008 6:54:12 PM
[4E6] Conclusion You're provided with an extensive list of free resources in the contest forum, as well as the web, and any other resources you can find, make, or purchase. I'll say the same thing about art that I do about the elements. As long as it comes togeth... 
Posted May 12, 2008 6:39:02 PM
[4E6] Conclusion I still say elements don't matter. If the contest had remained earth, fire, wind, and water would you just make a game with those elements as terrain or would you shoot for something like Avatar or Captain Planet? You decided what elements were g... 
Posted May 1, 2008 9:14:26 PM
[4E6] Conclusion I'm sure they'll be judged soon enough. Then again, it's never soon enough for the participants. As much as people complained about the elements and contest, I'd not be in a rush to judge either. I have mixed feelings about the contest but I lov... 
Posted April 29, 2008 2:10:06 PM
(Solved) Max Exporter for mesh, materials, skeleton, weighting, and animation I successfully got Ogre and MD5 mesh and animation data exporting from MAX, rendering and animating with the same code. Collada and MS3D will come next. 
Posted July 13, 2006 12:54:25 PM
(Solved) Skinning MD5mesh/anims in D3D with standard indexed vertex blending After I got OGRE XML working, I went back to MD5 to attempt to convert it to a useable format (my normal mesh format) for standard skinning. 1) The first problem was caused by not resettingg my model's/skin's transform after scaling it down in MAX... 
Posted July 13, 2006 12:46:44 PM
(Solved) Ogre Exporter for animation in non-Ogre projects? I got everything working perfectly. It took a while for my brain to consider and ssarch that Ogre stores skeletal animation keyframes as deltas from the base pose instead of the actual pose for that frame. I just converted the deltas to whole trans... 
Posted July 13, 2006 11:41:56 AM
Suitable 3D Format They all have limitations. MD5 is good but requires a unique mesh format and software skinning, AFAIK. OGRE XML is good and straight forward even though I'm having issues applying animations to it in my own code. ASE supports vertex tweening... 
Posted July 12, 2006 12:57:35 PM
View All Replies Made By This User