Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Degra...  
Full Name Edward Catchpole
Nickname Degra 
State/Province, Country Staffordshire   United Kingdom
GD Gathering City Stafford, Staffordshire, United Kingdom
Contact Info
Homepage URL www.EdCatchpole.com/games 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Programmer 
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1073  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 2/4/2005 3:48:34 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
SpaceSaver SpaceSaver ( a working title) is simply a flying ship animation, which will at some point (when I get round to it) become a screensaver. The camera travels round the ship as it flies through a randomly generated, starfield of infinite length (with n... 
Posted September 3, 2006 12:49:11 AM
Looking for an animated character For one of my university programming assignments I'm making a skeletal animation system. I've made the system, but am now in need of the all-important character & animations to show it off. I'd like a skinned humanoid character with a set of... 
Posted March 14, 2009 7:45:57 PM
Dealing with variable size objects in an array I'm currently developing a message system for the network component of my game. As part of this, I'm trying to make an 'inbox' for each message recipient that new messages get placed into pending processing. All messages derive from a common Message... 
Posted January 20, 2009 7:44:28 PM
[DX10] Triangle not being rasterized I'm trying to draw a simple triangle using basic vertex and pixel shaders (no geometry shader set). Pix is telling me that the vertices are being correctly transformed in the vertex shader, but then the rasterizer is (apparently) only drawing th... 
Posted July 6, 2008 3:04:24 PM
MSVC 2008 - File organisation In Visual Studio 2005 you could add 'Filters' to a project to organise source files into 'folders', but these folders were purely fictional and only related to the project explorer. Now in 2008 it does organise your source files into actual fold... 
Posted November 7, 2007 5:34:58 PM
Force feedback editor Does anyone know why the force feedback editor got dropped from the DX9 sdk? I could really use it right about now, is there something else around that can be used to create ffe files? Degra 
Posted March 21, 2007 4:32:31 PM
[ASM] Fill xmm register with single float I'm trying to fill an xmm register with a float so it contains 4 copies. I can get it into the lo-loword and lo-hiword, but not the hi-loword and hi-hiwords of the register with movss xmm0, [val] movlhps xmm0, xmm0 Can anyone help? Degra  
Posted March 8, 2007 7:53:30 AM
[C++] Vector memory management This is out of pure curiosity - how does a vector store elements? Does it use a linked list? contiguous memory? a combination of both? Degra 
Posted February 28, 2007 6:12:46 AM
[Java] Calling template's static methods I've got a class which looks something like this.. public class MyClass<theSubClass extends theSuperClass> { } theSuperClass and theSubClass are completely static. I need to be able to call a method in theSubClass (overr... 
Posted March 1, 2007 12:53:25 PM
Display lists are slower? When I render my models using display lists, the fps drops from 29-30 to 12-13? I don't get how this could happen? This is the code I'm using, literally swapping the two commented lines for the glCallList() call is all I'm doing to make it change.... 
Posted January 10, 2007 5:09:02 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
virtual methods Yes, that is correct. 
Posted December 25, 2010 11:20:17 AM
Video Card noise due to read only depth buffers I've had odd noises coming from my laptop before - especially when my app is running at a high framerate (1000s of fps), or when I've been pushing my ethernet port to its maximum through-put. Usually these sounds are high pitch squeals, and incredibl... 
Posted December 19, 2010 8:38:07 AM
Why is 'Murder' so popular To be pedantic about this, a lot of killing in games isn't murder, but actually a form of lawful homicide. From wikipedia: "Murder is the unlawful killing of another human being with 'malice aforethought' ". Killing in self-defence (not premedi... 
Posted December 6, 2010 6:30:11 AM
enum naming convention? Quote:Original post by highendman Quote:Original post by Degra Personally, I like this method... *** Source Snippet Removed *** Embedding the enum in its own struct effectively namespaces the enum to leave a clearer indication of what enum a... 
Posted November 26, 2010 5:14:52 PM
enum naming convention? Personally, I like this method... struct MainLoop { enum Enum { Setup, Menu, Game, Pause, Delete, }; }; void main() { MainLoop::Enum mainLoop = MainLoop::Set... 
Posted November 26, 2010 3:14:58 PM
Slipstreaming Quote:Original post by Ignifex I believe a similar term to what you are looking for would be "drifting". I once wrote a physics based racing game, but was also unable to find enough clear information on the topic to implement it. Drifti... 
Posted November 3, 2010 9:27:08 AM
Air flow while programming We have aircon and I'm also surrounded by fans :D 
Posted July 9, 2010 12:42:38 PM
why don't ceil and floor return ints? Given that the calculations required to perform ceil/floor are [generally] all floating ops, converting the result for outputting an int would just be an extra step that the client may not require (ie, the client may want a float and have to convert... 
Posted April 8, 2010 5:53:46 PM
Skyboxes and related Techniques The best resolution to use would be one that matches the screen res, so the texture is rendered with texels matching pixels as close to 1:1 as possible. This will minimize the amount of distortion or scaling artefacts caused by minification or m... 
Posted December 20, 2009 5:48:21 PM
Non-const variable to const pointer It's worth noting that removing constness with const_cast doesn't always do what you think it does. On some platforms const_cast will only allow you to access the data in a non-const fashion (eg pass it as an argument to a const-incorrect fun... 
Posted December 20, 2009 5:32:30 AM
View All Replies Made By This User