Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know davidx9...  
Full Name David Barr
Nickname davidx9 
State/Province, Country Greater Manchester   United Kingdom
GD Gathering City Manchester, Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://research.david-barr.co.uk 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Researcher/PhD 
Job Description Biophysical Computing Systems and Neural Computation Architectures 
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1056  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 6/4/2004 7:29:48 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Cache Locking in C++ Ignore the obvious problems that this may occur, but does anyone know a way to keep (lock) data in the processor cache, using C/C++? My research involves profiling scientific computations, and my application seems to be experiencing many cache mis... 
Posted April 27, 2008 11:44:29 AM
MFC Release Build and DX9 Has anyone else experienced this problem? I have a multi-dialog MFC app, that has a dialog which uses DirectX9 to generate a display. When running a debug build, everything works fine, focus changes are handled, other dialogs can be opened and closed... 
Posted November 1, 2006 6:53:03 AM
UK Game Selection I'm from the UK, where there is, in my opinion, a terrible selection of games to choose from. They all appear to be the same. So I was wondering, what has caused this to happen? Last weekend I was recommended to and subsequently bought a game for... 
Posted February 13, 2006 6:23:20 AM
Understanding D3DVERTEXELEMENT9 I am building a rendering engine, and need to take advantage of multiple vertex streams. I have two vertex buffers, one with x and z coords, and one with y(height) and normal data. My two vertex formts are struct xGridVertex { D3DX... 
Posted September 2, 2004 5:02:43 AM
Should Windows come bundled with a programming language? I was fortunate to grow up when computers came with programming languages (usually a BASIC variation), and that helped spawn my interest today. Should modern day PC's come with some form of language to allow the less experienced to grasp the basi... 
Posted August 2, 2004 4:47:44 PM
UK Games Industry, What do you think? The UK used to be a major player in the games industry, I dont feel this is the case anymore. What do other people think? Is the UK games industry booming and on the up, or is it doomed to succumb to the USA and Japan giants? 
Posted August 1, 2004 4:57:08 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
How do I load a file through the cmd line in a win32 app? At the command line "your_app.exe something.file" In windows, drag a file onto your binary. From your compiler environment, specify "command arguments" in some run-time debug menu somewhere. You will simply be given string information.... 
Posted February 15, 2009 11:06:47 AM
How To: Simple AI I would suggest calculating a vector based on the position of the enemy ships and all other objects on screen. The magnitude of this vector would be equal to "threat". Summing all of the vectors would give you an approximate direction of th... 
Posted February 15, 2009 11:02:05 AM
GameDeveloperTools.com has officially launched! Very nice! Well thought out. It would be nice if we could sort so the free resources show up first, but I suppose that might affect any future sponsorship deals! 
Posted August 19, 2008 3:57:34 AM
Cache Locking in C++ Quote:Original post by Jan Wassenberg Quote:and its explicitly (hinted) stored there using the intrinsic __mm_fetch(...,HINT_NTA). You probably mean _mm_prefetch(address, _MM_HINT_NTA). In which case this is really funny - a way has been found to g... 
Posted April 30, 2008 5:16:41 AM
Cache Locking in C++ I have dabbled in a bit of OS devving / processor development before, and of course Antheus you're right. But it just seems odd that even a Windows OS would reject data from the cache so haphazzardly. It also occured to me that perhaps the system... 
Posted April 27, 2008 12:41:41 PM
Cache Locking in C++ Quote:Original post by yahastu There aren't opcodes for controlling such low-level hardware details. You should run your program in a simulator to that gives you access to this kind of virtual cache information. Is that so? Surely this feature w... 
Posted April 27, 2008 11:56:27 AM
New brain computational theory combining AI research, Neuroscience and Psychology dsanjit, I believe you may have missed the point of my argument a little. Firstly, I am in complete agreement with you about the current state of AI. But in fear of attracting a tidal-wave of flaming(!), I suggest that computer-based AI research i... 
Posted April 24, 2007 9:29:15 AM
New brain computational theory combining AI research, Neuroscience and Psychology Quote:Original post by the_sombrero_kid this post is more likely to be published than your "paper". it's well written and has references. Thanks!  
Posted April 12, 2007 6:18:26 AM
New brain computational theory combining AI research, Neuroscience and Psychology I'm a researcher at the University of Manchester, researching techniques to efficiently implement existing "brain" models on various computational platforms. I'm part of two EPSRC funded projects in the UK, REVERB (Reverse Engineering the Verteb... 
Posted April 10, 2007 8:45:39 AM
plz correct the code Quote:Original post by jpetrie Quote: BTW, why should one not use system("pause") at the end of a console program like this? Because it's Flat Out Stupid. It is equivalent to things... I think when you're just starting out, and can barel... 
Posted November 8, 2006 10:39:29 AM
View All Replies Made By This User