Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know jcabeleira...  
Full Name Joćo Cabeleira
Nickname jcabeleira 
State/Province, Country Portugal
Contact Info
Homepage URL www.voltaico-engine.net 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description Estudent at Instituto Superior Tcnico 
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1056  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 9/24/2003 5:01:13 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Real-time Global Illumination and Ray Tracing Hello, guys! After several years learning from this site I'm glad to give my own contribute to the community. I'm here to present the work I've done for my master which is a rendering engine called Serenity that combines GPU lighting and ray trace... 
Posted December 12, 2010 1:51:47 PM
[SOLVED] Confused about color and gamma correction Hello, guys. I recently discovered that my engine looks better on some computer screens than on others. It seems that some screens, specially laptop ones, display colors as more blueish and vivid while desktop screens tend to display a... 
Posted June 21, 2010 10:44:50 AM
[SOLVED] Looking for info about 6 axis irradiance Hello, guys. I'm sorry to ask help for this, but I remember reading the webpage of a spanish guy that described the implementation of a simple form of irradiance. The guy represented the irradiance reaching a point by storing the color that entered f... 
Posted June 4, 2010 11:20:41 AM
Speed of data transfer between GPU and CPU Hello, guys. I'm doing a project that requires reading data from GPU to the CPU, process it on the CPU, and send it back to the GPU. But I'm having some performance issues. Currently, I'm doing the transfer using pixel buffer objects that rea... 
Posted May 25, 2010 10:08:16 AM
[SOLVED] Need stratified sampling algorithm for upper hemisphere Hello guys, I need a stratified sampling algorithm or any other kind of algorithm that generates uniform samples on the upper hemisphere of the unit sphere. I already found an algorithm that does that for the whole unit sphere, but I only n... 
Posted March 26, 2010 2:19:32 PM
[SOLVED] Spherical Harmonic looks weird Hello, guys. I need help with a problem: inside a shader I'm sampling the sky and generating a Spherical Harmonic with 9 coefficients, then I use the generated SH function to sample the sky color. The problem is that I'm not sure how should I sampl... 
Posted March 24, 2010 6:35:39 PM
[Solved] how to sample a spherical harmonic in a shader? Hello, I'm having problems sampling Spherical Harmonics to get the incoming light at one point. I'm particularly interested in knowing how to reconstruct the original lighting function using the SH coefficients (not getting the diffuse irradianc... 
Posted March 26, 2010 1:02:38 AM
[Solved] glReadPixels doesn't read from FBO Hello, I'm trying to read a single pixel from a FBO using glReadPixels but it seems that it's the window frame buffer instead of my FBO that is being read. Here's the code: //Bind the framebuffer and do some rendering... //... //Finish re... 
Posted March 17, 2010 2:35:55 PM
Need to find pixel gradient for blur along surface Hello, guys. I need some help for doing a surface dependent blur. What I'm trying to do is for each pixel find these vectors in screen-space to get a blur direction: I've tried doing this in a shader that calculates the screen space position fo... 
Posted March 12, 2010 10:43:26 AM
Light Propagation Volumes and SH questions Hi guys, I've got a few questions regarding the use of Spherical Harmonics in the Light Propagation Volumes technique. First of all, let me start by saying that I've already got this technique working, but not with SH. Instead, each texel of the p... 
Posted January 3, 2010 11:46:06 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Real-time Global Illumination and Ray Tracing Quote:Original post by wolf That's quite impressive. I skipped through your thesis. You explain things very well. Thank you. It's good to hear that from a veteran like you. :) 
Posted December 20, 2010 9:40:26 AM
Real-time Global Illumination and Ray Tracing Quote:Original post by Prune This sounds very similar to the technique used in "Hardware-Accelerated Global Illumination by Image Space Photon Mapping" There, similar GPU-generated buffers are used for tracing photons. Since you're generating such... 
Posted December 16, 2010 8:35:35 PM
Real-time Global Illumination and Ray Tracing Thanks guys for testing the demo, I'm glad to hear that the demo ran at an acceptable performance even for those who tested it on older hardware. I'm also thankful for your positive replies and glad that you liked it. Quote:Original post by... 
Posted December 15, 2010 5:04:28 PM
Real-time Global Illumination and Ray Tracing Quote:Original post by tombofsoldier I assume the GI is single bounce, and that the propagation volumes you mentioned are the same ones presented in the Crytek paper? That being said, DUUUUDE. Great work! Yes, I use the first version of C... 
Posted December 12, 2010 6:08:19 PM
Real-time Global Illumination and Ray Tracing Thanks. :) Yes, that is the actual frame rate. Around 20 FPS in average, although it can drop substancialy when ray traced effects occcupy the entire screen. The worst case scenario can drop the frame rate to 6 FPS, but it is rare. 
Posted December 12, 2010 3:32:13 PM
Path tracing: CUDA or CPU? You can always combine both as Jacco Bikker did. Look here. XD Implementing path tracing in the CPU should be quite straightforward but slow. On the other hand, the GPU provides more raw processing power but it is limited in functionality. Nam... 
Posted October 12, 2010 7:03:18 PM
How to calculate Irradiance correctly? Yeah, I forgot to mention that. Always calculate the irradiance using evenly spaced samples! If you don't know how to generate evenly spaced sampling vectors, then this is what you need. If you need sampling directions for the upper hemisphere th... 
Posted September 30, 2010 3:34:08 PM
How to calculate Irradiance correctly? I believe this is the correct solution: foreach (Sample w in Samples) { irradiance_sum += L(w) * dot(N, w); cosine_sum += dot(N, w); } irradiance = irradiance_sum*2.0*PI / cosine_sum; Check page 9 of "Stupid Spherical Harmonics Tricks" 
Posted September 29, 2010 1:10:41 PM
General questions on deferred lighting Don't worry about POT textures because it is a limitation of old hardware. Unless you're aiming at really ancient hardware you should not worry about that. In fact, if the hardware does not support NPOT textures, then it should not even support the o... 
Posted August 29, 2010 8:27:36 PM
Relief Mapping depth parameter Try to vizualize it mentaly. When the vector length increases, it increases backwards. That is, as the height incresases the origin of the ray is pushed backwards, in the direction of the ray, so that it remains located at the height limit. If th... 
Posted August 29, 2010 8:19:06 PM
View All Replies Made By This User