Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know __ODIN__...  
Full Name Allan Simonsen
Nickname __ODIN__ 
State/Province, Country Singapore
Contact Info
Homepage URL www.boomzap.com 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Technical Director 
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1250  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 2/20/2002 10:42:40 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Jewels of Cleopatra We wanted to share our latest game, Jewels Of Cleopatra. In Jewels of Cleopatra, you take control of Dr. Felicity Turnstone, an Archaeologist searching for the secret treasure left behind by Cleopatra. The core mechanic is match-3, but we added... 
Posted December 19, 2006 12:41:52 AM
Tracy Fulerton: Playcentric Game Design Tracy Fullerton is Visiting Assistant Professor, Interactive Media Division, USC School of Cinema-Television, and one of the leading theoreticians on game-design. She's also the co-author of Game Design Workshop. Anyways; here's the vide... 
Posted April 8, 2007 12:52:11 AM
Storytelling in Games Video of Ragnar Tørnquist (FunCom), the Creative Director of titles like Longest Journey, Dreamfall and Anarchy Online, speaking about Storytelling in Games. We were lucky enough to have Ragnar as one of the speakers for the Asian Game Devel... 
Posted April 5, 2007 11:06:07 PM
AGDS 2006 Videos AGDS 2006 VideosPosted by: Allan Simonsen at April 4, 2007 2:02:55 AMFirst batch of speaker videos from AGDS 2006 is now up on Google Video for general viewing. We’d like to thank all the wonderful speakers, helpers and attendees that help... 
Posted April 4, 2007 8:02:55 PM
Optimizing SQL Highscore Optimizing SQL: Our webhost recently pulled the plug on our PHP scripts for over-using CPU ([rant], I'd advice avoiding LunarPages like the plague. Worst user-treatment I've ever seen, they just yanked our entire website, email, FTP, control... 
Posted July 22, 2006 1:14:23 PM
Magic Lanterns We've just put the finishing touches to our latest game, Magic Lanterns, and I thought it'd be cool to submit it to IOTD, one of my regular surf-destinations each day. About the game: In Magic Lanterns, your magical journey of addictive lant... 
Posted June 18, 2006 12:32:08 AM
The Horde What design idea would you throw at a game-engine that displays 5,000+ characters per scene? The engine would be a top-down (or 3/4 view) 3D engine using 2D Sprites for characters. Technically pretty easy (a similar idea was used at one of the G... 
Posted February 12, 2006 12:33:38 AM
PSD Layers I've been poking around the PSD format for a couple of days now; I'm mainly looking for a way to rip apart the PSD file as an offline tool, saving out each sub-layer as a seperate PNG file, and tracking the basic layer information (layer ordering, la... 
Posted December 30, 2005 9:53:45 PM
GetDeviceCaps returns D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE We're doing final testing on our first game, and we're getting some really funny bug messages from GeForce2 cards. Looking at the log-file, what seems to be happening is that the device is unable handle the default adapter: HRESULT hRes... 
Posted December 14, 2005 4:45:27 AM
Alt pauses game We're going through alpha-testing at the moment, and one reported bug is that pressing ALT pauses the game when in windowed mode. What actually seems to happen is that pressing ALT triggers the system menu (WS_SYSMENU); if you go on to p... 
Posted October 22, 2005 11:00:39 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Jewels of Cleopatra Woha.. this is a blast from the past :) Well.. the good news is that we're still around.. Since Jewels of Cleopatra we've done a number of other casual titles (including Awakening: The Dreamless Castle, which has been one of the best-selling... 
Posted September 3, 2010 10:55:35 AM
The Daily GameDev.Net Quote:Remember people, US currency denominations end at $100. Nope, bills up to $100,000 have been printed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_denomination_bills_in_U.S._currency They were pulled by 68, mainly 'cause the only ones st... 
Posted August 24, 2010 10:58:05 PM
The Daily GameDev.Net Good selection of indie tools here: http://www.indievision.org/?p=204 Allan 
Posted August 9, 2010 10:16:37 AM
iPhone on Microsoft and C++ While it's entirely possible to do the bulk of your coding in C++, anything touching Apples APIs is in ObjC; you'll end up doing quite a lot of ObjC coding to get proper iphone UIs working, accessing OpenFeint/Game Center, etc. Allan 
Posted July 24, 2010 10:09:40 PM
Video play in backward Video streams consists of I frames and P Frames; each I frame is a standalone frame, but each P frame is relative to the frames before it (usually the last P/I frame before it). Since the data's not available, you can't really step backwards; it just... 
Posted June 27, 2010 11:14:47 PM
2D games comercially viable as standalone? There definitely needs to be a minimum quality bar if you want people to download and pay for it; for the PC games, that's currently somewhere between 'casual download' (www.bigfishgames.com) and 'hardcore indie' (see IGF or Steam). If you're not com... 
Posted June 13, 2010 9:56:45 AM
Wii Question... There're also Wiimote drivers for PC (it connects using bluetooth). You'll not get sensor-bar information without a lot of work, but buttons and accelerometer is pretty trivial in C++ Look at WiiYourself! for an example; we actually used that for... 
Posted March 30, 2010 11:00:36 PM
Wii Question... You'd need an NDEV devkit, and Codewarrior for Revolution / Wii SDK; total cost for that's about 2K USD, and you need to be licensed from Nintendo (which is hard enough for experienced professional devcos to do). The good news is that C/C++ is the... 
Posted March 30, 2010 6:05:24 AM
Space Pirate Pretty trivial (and cool) to just auto-detect the current language, and set that as the user default. Here's a snippet ripped from our engine. std::string Lang = "english"; LANGID LanguageID = GetUserDefaultUILanguage(); WORD Primary =PRI... 
Posted March 24, 2010 12:12:05 PM
Working Nowhere and Everywhere Quote:Original post by ddyer A related observation of mine is that this business model is effectively "eating the seed corn" of the industry. There are no trainees here; learning the ropes, honing their skills etc. That's actually a truth wit... 
Posted July 30, 2009 8:12:02 PM
View All Replies Made By This User