Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Dbproguy...  
Full Name Marcus Johnson
Nickname Dbproguy 
State/Province, Country CO   United States
GD Gathering City Denver, CO, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://vi3gamehkr.blogspot.com 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1005  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 5/10/2008 6:56:38 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Python is quite different from C++ I am just curious about something, and I didn't find any specialized forums for python. In the interactive shell, I did something like this: >>> hello = input() [i]hello[i] >>> hello 'hello' >>> input = input() hello... 
Posted August 16, 2010 1:34:26 PM
C++: Passing Arrays into Functions Hello everyone, I am taking a Computer Science class where I'm learning a little bit (hardly any) C++, and one of our projects was to make a function to sort an array. The teacher gave us the definition for the function which was: void bubb... 
Posted November 26, 2009 3:28:53 PM
Learning from books Hello, I've been around here a little bit (you probably don't know me actually) and I've asked a couple questions about books, mainly because I don't want to waste my time reading a book that will teach my bad programming techniques, or anything l... 
Posted November 23, 2009 11:00:04 AM
Enumeration vs #define So as I was reading C++ Primer as I always do these days... I ran across the enumerated type, and I've also known of #define for a while. I want to ask, what is the difference between the two? You can't change either as they are both constant as... 
Posted November 5, 2009 4:26:09 PM
less than opposed to not equal in for loops Hi, I had a question about how a for-loop should be set up. In C++ Primer, the author seems to use != instead of < in all the for-loops, but my question is, why? What if you set up a for loop as such: for (int i = 0; i != 11; i += 2) then yo... 
Posted November 2, 2009 7:02:42 PM
Deadlines Hello, Me and my friend were discussing stupid things you could do to just make your code work (hard-coding values to fix certain challenging bugs) and I thought I had read something on the subject before, and a lot of professionals even do t... 
Posted October 28, 2009 9:59:29 PM
Windows vs. Ubuntu Hello, I've really started kicking off the ground to try to get into game design lately, I've pushed myself to practice C++ a lot more but I had a friend (who is a linux lover) tell me that I would produce much better games if I studied and used O... 
Posted October 23, 2009 12:36:12 AM
Screen Size ratios So I know this is a fairly odd question, but where did we come up with the screen ratios? 16:10 should be like 8:5 or something right? and 16:9 could be 4:3? 
Posted October 20, 2009 11:45:41 AM
3D Math Books Hi, I've started learning DirectX, and I'm feeling my 3D math skills aren't up to speed (as in I don't understand a word of the first three chapters of Frank D. Luna's DirectX 10 book) I noticed he cites a couple of books that are recommended to r... 
Posted October 16, 2009 1:14:50 PM
DirectX w/ Windows API Hello everyone, So I've actually tried to get into DirectX lately (I've mostly used crap like XNAGS or DarkGDK or some other high-level library) and I was told that DirectX uses a lot of the Windows API. Does this mean that along with C++, I need... 
Posted October 6, 2009 5:59:15 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Python is quite different from C++ A couple other things have bogged me down like the fact that whitespace is significant, and code readability is sometimes a little hard because of the lack of symbols like { and } or ;. I suppose python is really a beginner's language.. Somehow, I... 
Posted August 16, 2010 2:07:35 PM
Question about book Beggining C++ game programming I would strongly recommend you at least finish the whole set of tutorials or something, and build on your knowledge of C++ from there. If you feel confident in your C++ abilities maybe then would be the best time to move on. As far as 3... 
Posted November 30, 2009 7:50:26 PM
I need 2 know about game programming To learn C#, I read the book "Head First C#" and it made everything pretty plain and simple for me. After that I just followed online tutorials at XNA's website to learn XNA. Quote:Original post by buggy123 Lastly, be aware that the interne... 
Posted November 29, 2009 2:19:05 PM
Opinions on/experience with Full Sail? Well in my person opinion, it would be better to have a computer science degree instead of something specific to game programming/design/etc. I'm going specifically for a game programming job, but if I miss that mark, I'll still hit the target and h... 
Posted November 29, 2009 2:11:27 PM
Freeware compilers & code editors With that DreamSpark thing, it's pretty easy to get the pro version of Visual Studio as well. I haven't found anything in pro that isn't in express that has been particularly useful to me though. 
Posted November 28, 2009 6:15:06 PM
C???? Quote:Original post by Antheus So, which one is it? Sorry, I was using the same word for two different ideas. By commercial quality I was referring to larger games where if they don't code efficiently, the game could be complete trash (Imag... 
Posted November 28, 2009 1:33:56 PM
I need 2 know about game programming Quote:Original post by Dz23151 See the only reason I want t learn c++ is because I heard most video game companies like ubisoft use c++ because I want to make it in those big companies after I work for experience and theni work for a small com... 
Posted November 28, 2009 11:53:00 AM
C???? Quote:Original post by dih Is C# fast enough for game programming? and also Whats a reall good book that just focus's on the C# language and not all the difficulties of .net on web and stuff C# probably isn't fast enough for commercial... 
Posted November 28, 2009 11:44:10 AM
Which College Should I Go? I would listen to Kalnos. If you look at any game programmer job openings, they usually want a degree in computer science or equivalent, so some degree in game programming would probably work, but you are better off with just computer science. O... 
Posted November 28, 2009 12:01:02 AM
I need 2 know about game programming If you want to learn C++, it's going to take some patience. C++ isn't exactly something you can pick up overnight and start programming games with. If you just want to program a game soon, you'd best stick to something like Python, or Microsoft XNA... 
Posted November 27, 2009 11:45:01 PM
View All Replies Made By This User