Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know f8k8...  
Full Name Andrew Porritt
Nickname f8k8 
State/Province, Country Hartlepool   United Kingdom
GD Gathering City Hartlepool, Hartlepool, United Kingdom
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.gogo-robot.com 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Managing Director 
Job Description Independent Games Developer 
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1047  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 10/27/2003 5:26:20 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
C# Encode shorts into uint I'm trying to encode two signed shorts into an unsigned int, with the line below: uint Encoded = (uint)GridXPos | ((uint)GridYPos << 16); But the compiler is giving me a warning of: Bitwise-or operator used on a sign extended oper... 
Posted January 22, 2010 9:25:15 AM
Combine blocks into geometry I'm looking for an algorithm to combine tiles into a solid piece of geometry. The tiles are all the same size and are either square or a corner piece (right angle triangle taking up one half of the area of a square, if you get what I mean), and... 
Posted January 20, 2010 9:05:34 AM
Photos of Lego I thought about building objects from Lego and then photographing them to get sprites for a game. Does anyone know if this is legal, or does it infringe copyright? There would be no Lego branding visible. 
Posted July 30, 2009 8:05:25 AM
Thumbnail screenshot in XNA OK, my brain's not working today. I'm trying to capture a thumbnail screenshot in XNA, so I create a 128x128 texture, set it as the render target, render, then save it. The problem is that it's only capturing the 128x128 top left corner of the s... 
Posted June 12, 2009 6:50:12 AM
The Galactic Aquarium GoGo-Robot has just released their first game on XBox Live Community Games. The Galactic Aquarium is a fish breeding game (not just another fish tank screen saver ;) ), where the aim of the game is to breed every type of fish in the breeding g... 
Posted June 10, 2009 8:41:24 AM
Probability calculation I'm trying to calculate the amount of things that die from natural causes. At the moment, I've got this: For each thing, I do: if (Random number between 0 and 1) <= (Death probability) (Number to kill off) += 1 Which works fine and is... 
Posted May 20, 2009 6:54:10 AM
CSS Height I'm trying to create a simple menu bar with CSS. The problem I'm having is that the background is being displayed with a height of 0 if I've only got <a> tags in it. If I put some text inside it without any tags, the background bar resizes... 
Posted January 23, 2009 4:34:01 PM
Free GUI library with editor Does anyone know of a free GUI library (c++) that comes with an editor. I have a renderer and file system, and I'll be writing an input system, so I'd like one which is cross platform that I can just plug in to my framework. It just has to have... 
Posted December 10, 2008 9:48:29 AM
XNA: InvalidOperationException when loading models on 360 I posted this on the creators club forums, but didn't get any responses. Hoping someone here might know, so I'm reposting here. The original thread is here: We've got a loading thread to load in assets behind the loading screen. All it does a... 
Posted November 24, 2008 5:42:55 AM
Rimpl I've currently got my class implementations stored in a private implementation class for things in my engine, so that the interface is constant, but I can change the implementation for different platforms. The problem at the moment is that the implem... 
Posted November 11, 2008 6:11:43 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Iphone swipe direction Your question was answered in your previous post here: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=582925 Alternatively, you could use the UISwipeGestureRecognizer class: http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/UIKit... 
Posted September 22, 2010 11:23:14 AM
The Monkey Hustle Congrats on getting your first iPhone game out. I had to figure out a fast way of doing animations for a couple of iPhone and iPad games I worked on, and came up with exactly the same approach as you guys (zipped PVRs), so it's good to k... 
Posted July 27, 2010 6:39:20 PM
How would the optimal pointer syntax look like? Maybe something similar to ->, but perhaps the other way, e.g.: int Value = <-PointerToValue; Dunno though, I haven't really thought too much about it :) 
Posted July 17, 2010 8:39:11 AM
The Daily GameDev.Net So what's your twitter? Mine's @f8k8 
Posted May 19, 2010 3:44:20 PM
The Daily GameDev.net It was really that long ago that the daily started?! Wow. Still though, I do look forward to reading it every day. Keep being awesome. 
Posted April 30, 2010 8:00:36 AM
The Daily GameDev.Net Is it just me that thinks the interface for the Windows 7 Phone looks hideous? I really don't like the plain blue squares for the home page (I know you can customise the colours, but I'm guessing they'll still be plain looking squares), and the whole... 
Posted February 16, 2010 5:55:29 PM
[C#] Can't get the following generics based function to work. If you can wait until C#4.0 is out, you can do it in that with the dynamic object type: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_Sharp_4.0#Dynamic_member_lookup 
Posted February 15, 2010 8:33:56 AM
Windows SDK iso installation error What is your processor & version of windows? Also, have you tried the web setup? 
Posted January 26, 2010 1:10:13 PM
C# Encode shorts into uint Thanks :) 
Posted January 22, 2010 10:28:08 AM
Combine blocks into geometry Thanks, that looks like it'll work. To get it to handle the triangular pieces, I think subdividing each tile into a 2x2, with the triangular parts being represented like: |-/ -> SS |/ S Then skipping two sq... 
Posted January 20, 2010 11:43:53 AM
View All Replies Made By This User