Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know DudeMiester...  
Full Name Darryl Barnhart
Nickname DudeMiester 
State/Province, Country Ontario   Canada
GD Gathering City Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Contact Info
Homepage URL www.dbarnhart.ca 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID Dud3Miester 
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Student 
Job Description I pay people to give me work 
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1028  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 7/25/2002 3:27:34 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Physical Pool Hello everyone, This is the final project I, Darryl Barnhart, did as the final project for my recent game programming diploma at Humber College. It's a 3D fairly physically accurate pool simulation with some nice rendering. The physics and renderi... 
Posted May 27, 2010 12:39:27 AM
Programming Portfolio Website www.dbarnhart.ca I've updated my portfolio website with my new projects relating to concurrency, shaders, project planning and so on. If you find any errors or issues, please let me now. Hopefully, you will find it interesting. :) I'm also... 
Posted April 19, 2009 7:09:11 PM
Evaluation of Isosurfaces in the Fragment Shader First of all, I want to acknowledge Inigo Quilez and his previous submissions (see here) for inspiring this. I also want to acknowledge Auld, as I based my program off their code for Chocolux, which I got from Inigo's NVision presentation. I imple... 
Posted October 8, 2008 1:32:26 AM
Argument Dependant Lookup: Is This a Bug? Here is the code demonstrating the effect in question when using VC8: class A {}; struct tLookup { friend void Lookup1(A) {} }; namespace nsTest { class B {}; namespace nsC { class C {}; } struct tLookup { friend voi... 
Posted November 12, 2006 9:56:36 PM
Boost:::Function Operation I'm studying the boost library to expand my knowledge of C++, but I'm confused on one point. In Boost::Function it states that it operated by function cloning. I'm not exactly sure what they mean my this. Is it that they hold an interal... 
Posted May 6, 2006 4:59:07 PM
Cyan Worlds on the Brink of Closure Cyan Worlds on the Brink of ClosurePosted by: DudeMiester at September 6, 2005 2:17:42 AMTaken from Adventure Gamers: http://www.adventuregamers.com/newsitem.php?id=1057 Quote:"It may feel like an ending… but it never really is. It is always a new... 
Posted September 6, 2005 2:17:42 AM
Multi-Threaded Garbage Collector Problem Ok so I've written this nice multi-threaded partitionable garbage collecter in C++. It's cool because there is no single global collector, but objects can be split between collectors that can have whatever collection algorithm and be schedualed howev... 
Posted July 24, 2005 2:50:22 AM
Quick Question. If I do this in C++: class Blah { public: int var : 12; }; Will the compiler add an extra 4 bits behind the scenes to byte align the class? 
Posted February 28, 2005 5:15:54 PM
Access Modifiers -- What's The Point? (Solved) I've been experimenting with C++, and it seems that access modifiers (i.e. public/private) do nothing to change the underlying machine code that is produced and can easily be circumvented. It seems to me that they are merely a comment, and if that's... 
Posted January 15, 2005 5:14:37 PM
Meqon Site Has Been Hacked By Nazis www.meqon.com I'm shocked, but it's sadly true. I did some googling, and interestingly the site www.istheshit.com lists meqon.com as an afilliation, that site is run by the blogger at www.bytelove.com, who links to his workplace at www.instante... 
Posted November 28, 2004 4:37:22 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
A Simple and Practical Approach to SSAO Congratulations on the article, and thanks for the information I got from your original thread! 
Posted May 27, 2010 12:23:41 AM
Hi there! What's your story? Darryl, 23 years old, student. I like the technology behind games. I spend a lot of time writing rendering algorithms for fun. I've also toyed with OpenCL, which I used to make a 500,000 element particle system and a GPU photon mapper (using splat... 
Posted April 1, 2010 12:42:43 AM
the best ssao ive seen I actually see very little difference between the two in terms of the visual patterns. It may just be an effect of the bilinear filtering. 
Posted March 31, 2010 11:50:50 PM
the best ssao ive seen Perhaps it's because in OpenGL z values will have the opposite sign (ex: p.z)? 
Posted March 28, 2010 3:16:40 PM
the best ssao ive seen I just noticed there's an error in my code. Here's a new and simplified version: float sample(vec2 coords, float offsetFactor, vec3 basePosition, vec3 baseNormal) { float nonlinearDepth = texture2D(sceneDepth, coords).r; if(nonlinearDepth==1... 
Posted March 25, 2010 10:44:22 PM
the best ssao ive seen So I was working on my own SSAO method, and I read this thread. Then I realized I could improve mine in a number of ways. In particular, I based my sampling pattern on ArKano's and used the notion of occluding discs. However, I use occludin... 
Posted March 25, 2010 2:53:29 AM
[SOLVED] "Shuffle" problem Using an iterative method to resolve contacts can help here. Basically, you run through the contact solver 10 times or so to reduce these errors. You can also try an LCP solver, check out David Baraff's papers on this: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~ba... 
Posted June 25, 2009 11:45:01 PM
Programming Portfolio Website Quote:Original post by MortusMaximus Well, like you said, you'd rather focus on different things. A programmer doesn't have to know every language out there, and you're not expected to put every language you've ever touched on your resume.... 
Posted April 20, 2009 11:23:10 AM
Programming Portfolio Website Quote:Original post by MortusMaximus Yes, those are the dotted lines to which I was referring. You can get rid of them if you use javascript and dhtml to make your page, instead of dreamweaver ;) It will also get rid of when you hold down the mo... 
Posted April 20, 2009 12:51:58 AM
Programming Portfolio Website I've incorperated your suggestions. Thanks for the input. I tossed the entire about section, it seemed superfluous. Everything relavent to employment is present elsewhere. If they want to get to know me personally, they can always call me or bring... 
Posted April 19, 2009 9:36:46 PM
View All Replies Made By This User