Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know DavW...  
Full Name David Whiting
Nickname DavW 
State/Province, Country Swindon   United Kingdom
GD Gathering City Swindon, Swindon, United Kingdom
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://davw.nfshost.com 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Student 
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1171  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 10/24/2004 3:21:10 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
New Tutorials (Eclipse CDT and SDL) For those who are interested, I've just put up some new beginner tutorials on my website about setting up Eclipse with MinGW and SDL, and the basics of writing an SDL program. I'm also looking for any ideas or suggestions for new tutorials to wr... 
Posted December 9, 2007 11:53:46 AM
Real-world game UMLs I would be very interested to see a UML (class diagram) of a finished or partially-finished game project. Does anyone have one they wouldn't mind sharing or know of a source of one for study? 
Posted October 17, 2005 4:18:57 AM
Skype and VoIP Ive just started using Skype after meaning to for ages, and I have to say I'm impressed with the system, but as usual with this kind of thing, it's usefulness grows with it's userbase. Do you think VoIP will ever become popular enough to be used excl... 
Posted October 15, 2005 8:23:39 AM
I have time to write tutorials, please suggest I currently have some free time in which I'd like to write some tutorials for my website, but I'd like them to be relevant to what people want to know about and/or have had trouble finding out about in the past. Topics I feel confident enough to wri... 
Posted August 8, 2005 5:42:41 PM
c++ references Does anyone know of a really good article on c++ references (as in the disguised pointer things) - i still dont quite get when to use them and when not to. At the moment I use pointers all the time (being a C person originally), which works fine... 
Posted August 4, 2005 4:47:54 AM
OOP design - where to fit a resource manager (big pic inside) I don't know if this is the right forum for this, but I figured I'm new to OOP so it's beginnery. Below is a UML-type-thing of the structure of my platformer engine so far. My current problem is that I don't know where to fit the graphic_manager obje... 
Posted July 16, 2005 12:59:22 PM
fclose segfaults Well ive tried to solve it but to no avail: [source lang='c'] #include <stdio.h> struct s_header { short width, height; } header; int main(int argc, char *argv[]) { int x,y; char c; char *data; if (argc<... 
Posted July 15, 2005 2:33:08 PM
assigning a variable segfaults :/ My problem (cleverly combined with source): //The offending function void Game::run() { _running=true; //this segfaults when run on its own while (_running) { //as does this sdl_event_handler(); //but this is fine } ... 
Posted July 14, 2005 6:51:23 PM
hash_map Is this part of the STL? It's in some guides but not in others and I don't seem to have an implementation of it (in GNU C++). It sounds useful for the script parser I'm writing as I don't need the sorting capabilities of a map and performance is nece... 
Posted July 8, 2005 1:20:28 PM
Any Cambridge uni students here? What do you think? Is it worth the extended application process? I'm thinking about applying to do combined Maths and CS there. 
Posted June 27, 2005 6:40:30 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
multiple class types (inherited) in a linked list? Or perhaps more usefully (a messy example but you get the idea) class Inventory { public: std::list<Item *> items; ~Inventory() { for (std::list<Item *>::iterator i=items.begin();i!=items.end();i++) { delete (*i); ... 
Posted December 23, 2007 4:09:22 PM
New Tutorials (Eclipse CDT and SDL) That's a fair point actually, must've slipped my mind when I was writing them. I'll be sure to add some comments tonight. 
Posted December 10, 2007 4:18:33 AM
Overcoming 'Sterility' One technique i like to use incorporating synths with ambient-style tracks is to set up 2 mics (for stereo effect) at the opposite side of the room to the computer, then record the synth tracks playing from the computer speakers through the mics... 
Posted May 30, 2006 12:13:45 PM
How to use inverse of sin? just as a point of interest, the a in asin and acos etc stands for "arc" as in the alternate names for the inverse trigonometrical functions. arcsin and arccos are less common names but they remove the amibiguity between f^-1(x) and 1/f(x) 
Posted March 9, 2006 6:12:26 PM
Extracting the decimal double number=35.049; double decimal=number-(float)((int)number); //decimal= 0.049 Would that work? edit: just looked up the modf function as described above and it seems like a better solution. 
Posted January 26, 2006 5:41:57 AM
File reading/writing problem. is the readfile function ever called? 
Posted August 20, 2005 7:51:25 AM
Random numbers #include <cstdlib> int randomNumber(int min, int max) { return rand() % (max-min+1) + min; } The % operator gives you the remainder from an integer divide, and rand() gives you a random number from 0 to RAND_MAX. By combining th... 
Posted August 20, 2005 5:48:32 AM
File reading/writing problem. sourceified and readabilitified #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> #include <stdlib.h> int readfile(char *filename,char *uservar,char *uservalue) { FILE* conffile; char temprow[1024]; char row[1024][... 
Posted August 20, 2005 5:43:37 AM
Where to start with graphics (Windows)? OpenGL is cross-platform, which gives it a big advantage over DirectX IMO. SDL is a fairly low level abstraction of video hardware under almost any OS, and is a good choice for 2d graphical apps. However, it lacks several basic functions like text a... 
Posted August 10, 2005 3:00:34 AM
I have time to write tutorials, please suggest short tutorial on iostreams in now online Where's the best place to announce these things? They are definately beginner-relevant, but maybe it should be in "Your announcements" 
Posted August 9, 2005 11:58:53 AM
View All Replies Made By This User