Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Programmer101...  
Full Name Stewart Hall
Nickname Programmer101 
State/Province, Country MD   United States
GD Gathering City Monkton, MD, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.stewsoft.net 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID programmer742 
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Programmer/Modeler 
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1056  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 11/22/2005 5:09:01 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
ShockRay Renderer So these are outputs from a renderer that I've been working on since around August called ShockRay. It's the second version; I wrote the first in May. It uses a recursive ray tracing algorithm and has a full shading pipeline. The renderer uses a... 
Posted January 9, 2009 10:45:23 PM
Fluid Dynamics Simulation Suppose I wanted to create a fluid dynamics plug-in for a program like Maya. I understand the basics of 2D fluid dynamics using a grid model, but I'm wondering how I use this to simulate cool effects like you see in movies of oceans. I guess that for... 
Posted May 8, 2008 10:10:11 AM
Float comparison issue I'm sure that there is something that I am doing wrong here because this makes absolutely no sense. I'm trying to use the c max and min functions to keep a number in a certain range but they don't seem to be working. Here is the line of code: floa... 
Posted April 16, 2008 9:19:00 PM
3d Space to Screen Space, Projection Matrix Hello everyone. I'm trying to write a 3D renderer without any API. I have a program that can draw and fill 2d triangles and I'm working on 3D triangles but I'm a having problems. The issue is that the 3d polygon never appears projected correctly... 
Posted April 13, 2008 9:35:45 PM
Artists and Designers Wanted for 3d Shooter Team Name: …Currently a team of one. You can call me Stewart. Project Name: Time Crystals Brief description: I began this game in September to be my entry for the 4E6 competition. Obviously, I was unable to finish it for the deadline bu... 
Posted April 8, 2008 7:41:02 PM
[4e6] Time Crystals Alright, I guess I will post my idea after all. This is my idea for an entry, hope I finish it completely... and well. Last year I entered an RPG that had many flaws so this year I think I'll try to correct that. The largest problem was the small rol... 
Posted October 23, 2007 10:11:17 PM
Targeting AI While trying to program an AI system for the enemies in my game I ran into a bit of a problem with having the enemies target your player. I was planning on having the program use a raycast to see if an enemy can see your player. Obviously this i... 
Posted February 27, 2008 9:46:29 AM
Setting Callbacks I'm writing a program with DirectShow that plays a video through a custom allocator. While setting the custom allocator, I'm having a bit of trouble setting a callback. The interface that I'm using is the IVMRSurfaceAllocator9 which has a "callback"... 
Posted February 13, 2008 5:53:14 PM
Getting a bitmap from DirectShow I have a program that plays a video with the direct show VMR9 windowless control. I'm trying to get each frame as it plays so that I can sample the pixels for movement. The windowless control has a method for getting the current image: HRESULT Get... 
Posted February 10, 2008 7:19:50 PM
Window Problems I've recently started to have some strange problems with windows programming. I also recently installed the new windows sdk so I can't help wondering whether or not this is my problem. Anyway, the issue is that when I try to create an empty window it... 
Posted February 7, 2008 9:03:58 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
problems about sampling tech The reason you want to use different sample sets is the same as the reason that you would jitter samples in the first place. Using different sets eliminates repeating patterns in the render. Look at the figure on the next page for a better descr... 
Posted March 15, 2010 10:53:38 PM
Confusing implementing gravity and Newton's Third Law It's called the normal force. Is object B static or a free body? If it is static, it applies a force on object A equal to object A's weight force, a normal force. This way they cancel. If object B is a free body, you would just add the weight fo... 
Posted January 12, 2009 11:30:35 AM
Best way to store array of pixel That's how I do it, so I don't know why you would be getting an error. It works fine for me. You could always try to put it into a single dimensional array with the size width*height, but I really don't think that there should be a problem with the w... 
Posted January 12, 2009 11:14:35 AM
ShockRay Renderer Quote:Original post by Lovens Nice work! I would like to know, the times you got, what are the specs on the machine it was rendered on. I'm not on my rendering computer now, so I can't get exact times but I will post them this... 
Posted January 12, 2009 10:05:28 AM
DX audio in dev-c++ Quote:Original post by pbjgame I have tried either of these resources before. I still havn't figured out the syntax for reimp.exe, so I can't convert the lib files. But actually, I have gotten throug the first 8 chapters with very few problems. I'm... 
Posted April 29, 2008 9:47:05 PM
Two questions regarding DirectX Meshes Quote:Original post by Yeshua666 Yeah I used the TFACTOR method and it works. It just seems like a hack to me though. I wish I could just change the mesh's vertex's alpha value directly. You can't really change the vertex alpha value without modi... 
Posted April 29, 2008 9:37:25 PM
DX audio in dev-c++ I purchased this book while using dev-cpp and was never able to get the samples to work. To my knowledge, the dev-cpp compiler can't handle standard directx libraries. I know, as one of your errors suggests, that dev seemed to have a problem wit... 
Posted April 29, 2008 9:18:47 PM
HDL Lighting and Plain Lighting --- With HDR, light and material color values can be more than 1.0. The scene is rendered to a floating point buffer which is designed to hold this extra information, then the colors are scaled to be within 0.5 of the average luminance value, thus enabli... 
Posted April 29, 2008 9:14:36 PM
[4E6] Conclusion Quote:Original post by BeastX For future contests, I'd recommend the following: -Extend the contest to a full year, or 6 months, and have them back to back. -Announce new elements the day the previous contest ends. -Announce and commit to submiss... 
Posted April 29, 2008 4:43:13 PM
Float comparison issue Yeah, I only changed the first value in the min function so that the output should always be the same. Originally it was 1.0f, but when I noticed it wasn't functioning, I changed it to 0.0f. Unfortunately, this line does not always evaluate to 0... 
Posted April 16, 2008 9:58:40 PM
View All Replies Made By This User