Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know renman29...  
Full Name Jason 
Nickname renman29 
State/Province, Country Regina
Contact Info
Homepage URL http://www.AlienScribbleInteractive.com 
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1047  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 7/20/2006 2:11:13 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Chicken Utopia I just finished and released both the demo version and full version of Chicken Utopia. I used DirectX 9c and very much enjoyed the d3dx sprite functionality(and took advantage of much of it [rotation, scaling, color-fx, etc...) It's a 2D side-sc... 
Posted December 13, 2010 7:02:07 PM
Disable Screensaver not working I can switch windows with alt-tab and everything restores just fine - but if the screensaver starts up in my game - it crashes for no apparent reason. From what I've read - Direct3D is supposed to disable screensaver -- but it doesn't. The followin... 
Posted September 20, 2010 2:28:42 AM
D3DXVec3Project result does not match texel's final screen coord :( If I use a black texture with one red texel on it(so I can easily identify it), and texture a triangle on a polygon in 3D space - I notice that that texel does not appear at the same location if I manually transform the texel by p... 
Posted January 27, 2008 9:00:17 PM
Fast realtime backbuffer copy to sysmem? My program needs a reference copy of the backbuffer(for calculation purposes) - preferably in sysmem - but what I'm doing seems to be far to slow: D3DLOCKED_RECT lr; HRESULT hResult=g_gpu->GetBackBuffer(0,0,D3DBACKBUFFER_TYPE_MONO,&pBack... 
Posted November 18, 2007 11:36:48 PM
Large texture LockRect performance I noticed that when I try to lock and write pixels to a texture it is quite fast so long as it's 1024x1024 or less. If it's 2048x2048 or larger, the performance is suddenly terrible. Could it be card or driver related? I'm wondering if there's a... 
Posted June 14, 2007 3:53:33 AM
UpdateSurface works 95% of the time? Updatesurface is working most of the time, but every so often the computer will freeze up and I'll need to reboot. If I comment out the UpdateSurface function, it never crashes. The strangest thing is, it seems like, if my texture array has more... 
Posted May 14, 2007 6:49:18 PM
Render target size larger than backbuffer? I noticed that when I use a render target larger than the back buffer, it causes the texture to garble and sometimes causes a crash. I'm using: zbuffer of 4096x4096 A back buffer to match the original screen resolution(1024x768) It works fine... 
Posted April 11, 2007 4:47:01 AM
Ridiculous DWORD error (SOLVED - thanks) DWORD g_num = 0; g_num--; if (g_num<0) g_num=5; PRINT("gnum = ",g_num); OUTPUT!!!: gnum = -1 Visual Studio 2005 glitch? I can't understand why this doesn't work... Update: DWORD g_num = 0; g_num--; if (g_num<0) g_num... 
Posted April 7, 2007 8:40:31 AM
Making a Square-Selection 3D Magnifier I'm working on a square-selection tool (like photoshop lasso or selection tool) that allows the use to select part of a realtime 3D image. Here's the trick, I need to figure out some way to zoom the display into whatever the user selected. ... 
Posted January 3, 2007 4:37:34 AM
[SOLVED]Get pixel in directx 9 - wrong colors? I'm trying to get the pixel color under my mouse click. I've looked at several other examples that other people have worked on and I'm still getting the wrong values (I think). For example I could set the triangle - D3DCOLOR clr=4 - and when I c... 
Posted December 31, 2006 1:16:32 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
No Light in my scene Is everything black? If so I'm not sure. Maybe use a lower ambient value too - like r=0.3f,b=0.3f,g=0.3f You might also want to try using a spotlight for a light coming from the camera. I'm thinking if the light is parallel directional and pointin... 
Posted December 19, 2010 3:19:26 AM
Heavy Hogur This game is pretty addictive - I can't stop playing. (^-^) 
Posted December 19, 2010 3:04:25 AM
Chicken Utopia (^__^) Oh cool, I loves your feedback. It took over a year - a lot of work - though very enjoyable to work on. :) 
Posted December 19, 2010 2:59:36 AM
Chicken Utopia (^-^) lol, thanx I'm glad you liked it. 
Posted December 17, 2010 4:28:25 PM
Heavy Hogur This game looks so cool and I love these types of games. I gotta check this out. :) 
Posted December 15, 2010 1:11:15 AM
Xilvan Design Games for 2010 Looks pretty cool - atmospheric(watched video on your site). 
Posted December 8, 2010 9:44:28 PM
Disable Screensaver not working Aha! So this should do the trick: switch (wparam & 0xFFF0) { case SC_SCREENSAVE: return 0;//prevent it from happening case SC_MONITORPOWER: return 0;//prevent it from happening } Thankyou! :)  
Posted September 20, 2010 6:21:08 PM
Help with BackBuffers I came accross this recently: http://www.fairyengine.com/articles/dxmultiviews.htm Looks like they're swapping z-buffer and setting render targets too. I haven't really read it though. Hopefully it's helpful though. :) 
Posted January 27, 2008 11:46:30 PM
DirectDraw problem If I remember correctly, you would pass the hwnd you used to create your window app. ie: g_hwnd = NULL; //global var ... g_hwnd = CreateWindowEx(.... ... DDraw->SetCooperativeLevel(g_hwnd, DDSCL_EXCLUSIVE | DDSCL_FULLSCREEN); Hmm. If that'... 
Posted January 27, 2008 9:33:28 PM
Fast realtime backbuffer copy to sysmem? I finally got back to optimizing this again. I tried the getrendertargetdata technique and it was amazingly much much faster. If anyone needs to know how it's done, here's my source: // Do this only once: LPDIRECT3DSURFACE9 pBackBuffer; g_gpu-... 
Posted November 25, 2007 10:19:28 PM
View All Replies Made By This User